Thursday, November 17, 2016

Two Week Test – LCHF Reset – Week 1

I first did a Two Week Test (TWT) about a year ago and had no issues till I was coming off the no carbs, probably went a little too much too fast.  But all in all it was not that bad a two weeks as compared to some other 1-2 week protocols I have tried before, like a juice only one.  It also confirmed my issues with wheat products, that they often give me gas.  I also found that the TWT was a good way to get started on a LCHF diet.  By the way for me LCHF means – Lower Carb Higher Fat as my general intake of carbs is much lower than most but not as low as man that hold to a LCHF diet

So why am I doing the test again?  Well first is to see if they’re any changes in how I react to carbohydrates of various kinds.  Also, over the last month or so my LCHF diet had been gaining more carbs for a number of reasons.   Lastly, as I had been dealing with a pinched nerve in may back and some other issues that led to shutting it down for the end of the season and taking a few weeks off, ending just before Thanksgiving, it just seemed like a good time to sort of do reset.  

I will be posting two parts for this test, Week 1 and Week 2, so as to give an idea of what I ate during it.  As the TWT is not a diet but as its name says, “a test” once done I will go back to my LCHF diet to get ready for some up coming ultras.

Here are a few staples of my TWT:

MPC – Modified Phil’s Coffee – Approx 25 Ozs
  • 1 Tbsp -  KerryGold Butter - I use the salted based on what we buy and price but if the salt bothers you, it does not me, you can use the unsalted,
  • 1 Tbsp – Coconut Oil - I use the Organic Unrefined type as there is less processing and I do not really taste the coconut that much and even if I did it is not a big deal
  • 1 - Egg, I try to keep to Organic Pasture raised, when ours our laying I get really fresh eggs, but since the coffee is hot a regular egg is probably OK but does not have the nutrients of the Pasture raised ones.
  • 2 Scoops of Collagen Hydrolysate - About 3 Tbsp for this size drink - Use the Hydrolysate type as it is a good all around one as it will mix in cold and hot liquids
  • About 2-3 Tbsp of heavy cream, to taste
  • Coffee - Enough to make the 25oz, or so, drink.  I use a number of brands but probably use the Speedgoat Karl's 100 Mile Blend the most
  • I do at times add a small amount of Xylitol for taste but less often while on the TWT
  • While I do not do this on the TWT at other times I will add a square of 85% dark chocolate for taste
  • Blend together - I use a Quart Mason Jar and a Stick blender - I take the jar and stick blender on all my travels as it makes it easy to make a drink on the road.

Porridge Mix
  • ½ cup Flax Meal
  • ½ cup ground chia seeds
  • 1 cup Coconut flour
  • 1 cup unflavored gelatin
  • ½ cup Psyllium husks
  • ½ tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together For Porriage:  Place 3 Tabls of mix in a bowl and ad hot water to desired consistency.  If you want it sweetened you can add Stevia or Xylitol and flavor it as well with Vanilla Extract.  Also, you can make it more substantial by adding  nuts, hemp seeds sunflower seeds pumpkin seeds, butter or coconut oil


Muffin Mix, uses Porridge Mix
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Tbsp Water
  • 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
  • ¼ tsp Vanilla
  • 3 Tbsp of Porridge Mix
  • 1/32 – 1/16 tsp of Stevia powder – to taste
Mix together well and pour in a small greased cup or ramekin and bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or Microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Then serve and I like to top with a nice slab of butter

Go To Snacks
  • Pork Rinds
  • Meat Sticks – make sure to read labels to check that there is no added sugar or fillers
  • Pretty much my drinks are limited to the MPC, regular coffee and water.

Sheep Neck Roast W/Asparagus
Day 1
  • Breakfast – MPC
  • Lunch – Sheep Steak W/Coleslaw and Onions
  • Snack – Pork Rinds and Parmesan Chips
  • Dinner – Sheep Neck Roast and Asparagus (sautéed in butter, olive oil and salt)
  • Snack – ½ a Primal Coconut bar
Day 2
  • Breakfast –MPC, Scrambled Eggs W/Bacon, Arugula and Avacado
  • Snack – Small bowl of Almond Butter (w/no added sugar)  
  • Lunch – Steak Salad w/Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing
  • Eggs, Bacon, Arugula and Avocado
  • Dinner -  Broccoli slaw with Chicken and a couple Meat sticks (no filler and only 1g of carbs)
Day 3
  • Breakfast –MPC, 2 Fried Eggs and a Grain Free Muffin W/Butter 
  • Lunch – We were out and the family was eating at Arby’s so I settled for a Fajita and just ate the fixin’s which worked out well as all was good except maybe the Colby jack and it was minimal                                                                                      
  • Dinner – Real Good Pizza and Salad (Spinach, Arugula, Broccoli Slaw mix, Tomatoes, Avocado, Parmesan Chips, Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar)
Day 4 
  • Breakfast –MPC, Scrambled Eggs W/Bacon, Arugula onions topped with Avocado                    
  • Lunch – Salad (Salmon, Spinach, Kale, Arugula, Asparagus, Broccoli Slaw mix, Tomatoes, Parmesan Chips,  w/Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar                          
  • Snack – Almond Butter (no added sugar) and Meat stick
  • Spinach - Asparagus Salad with Salmon 
  • Dinner -  Soup (Kale, Spinach, Arugula, Chicken, Asparagus, Rotella) W/Pork Rinds                                          
Day 5
  • Breakfast - MPC,  Porridge Mix with Pecans and a serving of Chocolate/Coconut Primal Fuel – as a note if you belong to Thrive they usually have a good price on the Primal Fuel.  The Primal Fuel only has 9G of Carbs per serving but if subtract out the finer it is at 5G.
  • Lunch - Soup (Kale, Spinach, Arugula, Chicken, Asparagus, Rotella) 
  • Dinner - Lamb Steaks W/Broccoli and Butter and Pork Rinds on the side.
Day 6

  • Breakfast – MPC, Omelet W/Onions, Peppers and Pepper Jack inside and topped with Avocado and Bacon
  • Lunch – 2 Sausages sautéed in Olive Oil and topped with Monterey Jack Cheese
  • Omelet
  • Dinner – Not real hungry so had a couple of the Real Good Pizzas



Day 7

  • Breakfast – MPC, 2 Fried Eggs, Sautéed greens and Turkey bacon
  • Lunch – Left over soup from day 4 but added in some left over broccoli
  • Snack – Pork Rinds
  • Dinner – Walnut Salad with Cranberries and Apple w/Balsamic Vinegar dressing (Probably a little higher in sugar in fruits than needed but did went with it), Side of Ham


Well one week done, one to go.  Not really that bad but since I my carb intake was already lower than when I took the TWT before it was to be expected that things would not be as difficult.  My weight has stayed the same, which is good as I am at the end of my 3 weeks off from running to get rid of an issue with a pinched nerve in my back.  That being taken care of I start up running again Monday, which is Day 11 of the TWT so should not be an issue.  Other than wanting something sweet to offset the more savory food I have eaten the TWT is really fairly simple.  However I can see how if one is realty tied to carbs this can be more difficult, especially the lack of bread and sugar.

Next week I will post the last week of the TWT.  Not sure yet if I will make this a 13 day test, as Thanks giving ends up being day 14, or just suck it up and do my best to on Thanksgiving.  As I am traveling two days after Thanksgiving I am thinking I will bring in an item or two on Thursday as the last time I came off the TWT I had some intestinal issues as I came off too quickly.  As it is we are having some sourdough rolls that are home made with fermented grains so they do not affect me the same as other grains.

More to come……..

Link to Week 2










No comments:

Post a Comment