Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner Rodney Hines


This week I talk to Rodney Hines.  I first met Rodney when I was getting back into running a few years ago in a race in Liberty KY, not the race he mentions below as he passed me way before the finish, where he got first and I got second.  Since then I have seen him at a few races and now get to know him better, as you will.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
My name is Rodney Hines.  I’m 44 years old, born in Somerset, KY, 7/5/73.  I live and have lived in Casey County my entire life.  I graduated from Casey County High in 1991, then went on to EKU to obtain a 4yr degree in MFG Tech.


What is your profession?
I work at Hendrickson, in Somerset Ky, as a Master Trainer and CWI for assembly and welding.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
Well, one day I was putting on my shoes, when I realized the difficulty of bending over and tying them.  That’s when it hit me…I needed to do something.  I was at the heaviest I had ever been.  So, I eased into running and that led into doing a few 5k’s.  Watching running times improve, healthier eating habits and weight going away, it became an addictive obsession. 


How long have you been running?
I started running again around 2001.  I ran track in high school (87-91).


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I played quite a bit of backyard volleyball while at EKU, but that was about it.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?
I played basketball in grade school (Garrett Elementary).  I ran track at Casey County High School.  I ran the mile and 2 mile, not very good at either, but ran my fastest mile in 5 minutes flat. 


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 

  • 5K - 19:36
  • Half marathon - 1:36


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
My most memorable race was a 5K in Liberty, KY a few years back.  I wasn’t really feeling up to putting full effort into the race that morning.  There was one other guy who would give me a run, so I laid in behind him for the entire race.  I have always had strong finishes, so when we made the last turn for the finish, I let it all out, passing him to win the race.  I’ll never forget when I passed him, hearing him struggle and seeing the look on his face.  It only made me push that much harder.  That’s the feeling that makes you push on during those hard training sessions.  That’s the feeling that makes you stronger.

My next most memorable would be the running of the Lake Cumberland Half Marathon last fall.  With minimal training for this, it was a struggle once into the meat of it.  My biking had me fit, but the very few running miles had me struggling.  At about mile 10, going through the Square of downtown Somerset, there were lots of people cheering everyone on and right at the fountain Mark and Tina Hamm were there cheering as I went between them giving both a high five.  That was all I needed to make it the rest of the way in. 


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
My favorite distance to run is about 3-6 miles.  But racing, even though I don’t do many, would be the half marathon.


I noticed you have been riding, how long have you been doing so?
I first started biking in 2012 on a mountain bike, then started road biking some the next year.


What got you started: Injury, Cross training, Etc.?
A knee injury (with some genetic arthritis) is what got me started biking.  For a long time, I was not able to run (or not run very much anyways).  So, for me, biking seemed to make sense.  


What do you like better – Riding or Running?

I love running, but I have come to love biking.  Mainly because I can put whatever I want in it, without much, if any pain.  Whereas with running, I can’t do a lot of miles, or hard running, such as speed workouts, without a lot more knee pain. 


Do you ride only road bikes or road and mountain?
I mainly ride road bikes, currently having three different ones.  One for everyday training, one more for performance or racing and a time trial bike.


Do you have a favorite ride?
I don’t really have a favorite ride, just love getting out and going.


Do you ride with a club?
I do ride with a local club when I can, as it offers a great atmosphere and a tremendous amount of support and knowledge.  But, because of living in the country and schedules with work and kids, I mainly ride on my own.  That’s ok though, I like “my time” with just me, the bike and the road.  This gives me time to unwind and destress. 


Do you have any long-range plans for running and riding?
My emphasis will be on biking, but to keep running enough to do an occasional half marathon or trail run.  


What do you like best about living and running in KY?
I like the variation in the seasons and terrain.  


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
One of things I struggle with the most about running is getting rid of old running shoes.  There are probably many like that (I hope I’m not the only one), but even though I know they are broke down, slick bottomed and look awful, I just can’t seem to throw them away.  I recently was able to get rid of about 6 pair.


What do you see as a trend in running?
I see people doing more than just running.  They are adding cross training, of many variances, to their running routines to become more overall physically fit.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Don’t be afraid to do something different.  Last year (against my comfort zone), I signed up for a local mud/obstacle run and absolutely loved it! 

Sometimes, it’s hard to stay motivated.  Get in a local running group, there are a lot of great running folks that would like nothing more than to offer a few words of encouragement or advice to help motivate or relight the fire to keep you moving.


Any closing comments?
Stay moving!!  Do what you can while you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment