Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky Runner and Race Director Damon Barnes

2018 Ragnar (Kentuckiana) 2nd from Right in Back
In this weeks Interview Tuesday I talk to Damon Barnes.  Not only does he run, ride & swim he is also one of the race directors of the  Backyard Classic 8HR race in Elizabethtown Kentucky on August 18th and of the inaugural Falls 100 on December 1st at the Falls of Rough Resort, KY.  Enjoy getting to know Damon and head out to one of the the races he is an RD on.  By the way there are discount codes available at the end of the interview - they expire on 6/22/18.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

I’m 35 and live in Elizabethtown, KY.  I was born in Lexington, KY but we moved to Hodgenville, KY when I was young and I graduated from LaRue County HS.  I joke that I managed to go to every college in the state but ultimately, I got a degree in Systems Management from WKU.  I live with my longtime girlfriend Lori Masterson, her two teenage girls Carissa & Izzy, our dogs Simba & Leia, our cat Bernie, and several lizards, snakes, and turtles.


What is your profession? 
I’m a Database Administrator with iPay Technologies.  I also coach the Lincoln Trail Masters Swim class with Carrie Warren.  Finally, I’m a co-owner of Central Kentucky Race Management.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
A good friend of mine, Ben Bryan, had a team in the original Bourbon Chase in 2009.  He had invited me to the first one but I declined.  At that point in my life the only time I had ran was for punishment when my wrestling coach made me.  My Mom had been a long-time runner though and had recently stopped. Her and my Aunt had both recently quit smoking and we though that the Bourbon Chase would be a cool thing to do.  We told Ben yes, had an absolute blast, and I’ve been involved with running ever since.
2013 Louisville Ironman


How long have you been running?  
Since 2010


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I was a wrestler in high school.  I was lucky to have awesome coaches (Gary Canter and Eddie Paden) and great teammates.  In 2001 we won the Kentucky State Dual Championship and Class A State Championship.  I was also a district and region champ that year as an individual.  I learned a lot from those years.  

In 2012 I became interested in triathlons and have been doing them ever since.  From that I have also went on to compete in swim meets, open water swims, mountain bike race, off-road and on-road triathlons ranging from sprints to an Ironman.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
I ran in high school.  Usually stairs in the high school or around the community center.  Always under the instruction of Coach Canter.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
I have done such a wide variety of races that there would be a ton to list here.  I personally just look at each race as a new experience and an adventure.  PR’s do motivate me but the one I’m most proud of is a sub-7 average for the Bourbon Chase in 2013.  That helped my team, Sodico Runners, to an overall top 10 finish.




What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
2017 Ragnar (Kentuckiana) 2nd from Right in Back

This is a tough one.  Personally, completing Ironman (Louisville) in 2013 was a very memorable experience.  But the race is just part of it.  All the LONG training leading up to it is just as memorable, if not more so.

I’ve also loved every Bourbon Chase I’ve ever done.  I was fortunate enough to do several with my Mom and Aunt so that was super cool.  I first met my longtime girlfriend, Lori Masterson, at the Bourbon Chase so it will always hold a special place for me.


Ragnar Trail races are awesome too. The camping, fellowship, and great trails makes for a memorable experience.  I’ve been super fortunate to captain the Sodico Runners team the last two Ragnar Kentuckiana’s.  This year we were the #3 overall team and the #1 mixed team!

The Backyard Classic is an 8-hour race that Lori, Kelly, Ben, and I direct.  At the end of the day it’s the most memorable race for me.  I love the people we meet, the atmosphere, and the fact that we are able to give back to our community through the race.  100% of our proceeds go to Greenspace and the Cancer Care Center in Elizabethtown!


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Pre-Race Instructions at the 2016 Backyard Classic
For pure running I honestly like about 6 – 8 miles on a trail.  For races I tend to gravitate towards half marathons. The ultimate format for me though are Ragnar Trail Races. It combines my love of social settings, camping, and trail running in one package.  For anyone who hasn’t done one I highly recommend it. 

My true love though is probably triathlons.  Almost every year we do a race trip with our good friends Nick and Kelly Berry.  Absolute awesome time and we tend to do Half  Ironmans.  I’ve almost got Kelly talked into an Xterra off-road triathlon.  If she doesn’t hate me after the first one…it might be my favorite. I’m currently training for an Xterra right now.


Do you have any long-range plans?
I’m still working on that.  I tend to like to find unique and different race formats.  The more disciplines the better.  I’m not one that can just focus on running.  If anyone knows of any send them my way.  I attempted to do the inaugural Swim Run USA but got food poisoning and hospitalized the night before.  So I need to check one of those off.  Adventure racing seems intriguing as well.  I’d also like to branch out and do some Ragnar Trails in other states.


I’ve recently partnered with Jeff Proctor to put on a 100 mile race in Grayson County, KY.  We’ve named it The Falls 100 and I’m super excited for what that holds.  In addition to continually growing the Backyard Classic.  Finally the race management company,  Central Kentucky Race Management, I own with Jeff, Greg Milby, and James Hummell is off and running. 

Here is a preview of the Falls 100 course:


What do you like best about living and running in KY?
Kentucky is freaking beautiful.  I think it’s super overlooked in terms of its natural beauty.  I love the trail systems we have regionally and right here in Elizabethtown.  I think it’s imperative we give back and help maintain and expand our trails.  I am the active president of Greenspace which is the organization that maintains the trail system here in E-town!  Runners have a bad reputation of not giving back to the trails they run on.  I’d really like to see more and more jump in and help.  Volunteers are the reason we have such a great trail system.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
The cold.  I hate the cold with a passion. Once I get running in the cold I’m usually fine.  But it’s hard to get motivated to get out in it.


What do you see as a trend in running?
2017 Backyard Classic RD's - Kelly Berry, Lori Masterson, Damon& Ben Bryan

I’m not really sure.  For myself I have a trend of doing more and more trails and finding adventure.  I would love to see that become a trend nationally!


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
It always sucks when you start but it does get better.

Make sure to cross-train and strength train.  Without those things it’s not if I’ll get hurt…it’s when.  I’ve learned so much from Bev and Bob Johnson at B-Fit as well as Carrie Warren at Find Your Strong.  Both places are phenomenal for providing guidance to runners who want to strength train.

Don’t be afraid of trails.  That’s where the magic is.


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?

Any closing comments?
Remember that this is supposed to be fun.  Your running is YOUR experience.  Too often people get caught up in PR’s or stepping up in distance.  Both of those things are great, but that’s not what it has to be.  Find what makes you happy and do it!  

I hate the saying “just” ____ distance.  If you run, you’re a runner.  Plain and simple.


If you are interested in running the Backyard Classic or the Falls100 (Mini to 100) you can use the following discount codes:
  • Backyard Classic  &   Falls 100  - Codes Below - Note: They Expire 6/22/18
    • Bluegrass5 will get you $5 off of the BYC or $5 off the Falls Mini or Full Marathon
    • Bluegrass10 will get you $10 off the Falls 50 or 100


No comments:

Post a Comment