Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky - via Minnesota - Runner Eric Towle

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
I have only met Eric once, at a Running Soles Tuesday night run.  But since there have had some conversations with him with regards to his working to be fast adapted and looking to use MAF principles for his training.  Hoping to get to know him better in the new year - so enjoy learning more about Eric.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I’m married to my high school sweetheart, Bobbi, we are both natives of Duluth, Minnesota and have three amazing sons, Jack (7), Luke (5), and Caleb (3). We spent most of our lives in Minnesota until I joined the Army in 2008. Then the adventure started and we have lived in four different states and two states twice! We have lived in Kentucky for a year and a half.

What is your profession?
I am an Armor officer in the US Army and currently stationed at Fort Knox, KY.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
Running found me! I never thought of running when I was growing up. I went on my first ever run when I started the process of joining the Army. In order to join I had to pass a physical fitness test, which included a two-mile run. Let’s just say that my first run, or should I say walk/jog, did not go well.

How long have you been running?
I’ve been “running” when required for the past ten years. However, I never really enjoyed it and always thought of running as a requirement. Most of my runs were forced at someone else’s pace, while running in a large formation that limited proper stride and form. However, in the spring of 2016 that all changed. Up to that point I had run only a handful of 5k's and a half marathon all of which were in 2010. I had a good group of friends that motivated me that year! My home town puts on an amazing marathon (Grandmas Marathon) that the whole community supports. The race is held in June and it was always something that I thought of participating in ever since I joined the Army. The problem was that my schedule never supported my desire to run the race. I was either deployed or busy with training during the month of June as well as the fact my anniversary falls on the same weekend. In 2016 the stars aligned and I knew my schedule supported the race. I jumped in the deep-end and signed up for the full marathon. Why go small right! That race started it all, I haven’t stopped running since.
Jungle Cats: Not fast But Furious. Ragnar Kentuckiana

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
No.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
No.

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run:
  • 5K - 20:40
  • 10K - 42:11
  • ½ Marathon - 1:30:38 Urban Bourbon
  • Full Marathon - 3:21:14 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
You mentioned you had a hard 50K coming up followed by a 100 miler in March.  What races are those and will this be your first 100 miler?
I’m running the Louisville Lovin’ the Hills in February. I’m a road runner at heart and am a little worried about the hills, but I’ll be ready for it. As for the 100 miler, I’m running my first ever 100 miler at the Pistol 100 miler in March.

How has training been going for the two races?
After Monumental I shifted all my focus to training for ultras. That primary included building my weekly base miles and slowing my pace to manage my heart rate. Specifically, for Lovin’ the Hills I have been incorporating hill work outs and as much trail running as possible. This past weekend I had the opportunity to pace Will Rivera at The Falls 100 Ultra, and let’s just say the course prepared me well for what to expect if conditions are the same this year at Lovin’ the Hills as last year, wet and muddy! Everyone always talks about how much they enjoy trail running and I’m starting to understand why. I’m really enjoying my trail runs.

We also talked some about your move to a Low Carb-High Fat (LCHF) diet – how did it come about that you moved that way and how has it been going?
Fort Knox Army Ten Mile Team

About two years ago I started eating Keto/low carb. At the time I didn’t connect the benefits to running and was doing it as a way to cut body fat and change my eating habits. Once I realized the benefits of fat adaption I really became excited about low carb high fat. Anyone interested in learning more about transforming your body to burn fat for fuel vs eating a ton of carbs I recommend the following books: Primal Endurance by Mark Sisson and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. I’m amazed by the energy levels I maintain even during long fasted runs.

Along with that I think you are also running at a lower HR using MAF or some version of MAF.  Can you share some about how you came to train this way and how it is  going?
While reading Primal Endurance I learned about MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) training. I have been using the MAF model exclusively for the past four weeks since Monumental Marathon. I run a lot of the same routes on Fort Knox, so it is easy to track my progress. What I have found is that it is working well. I have tracked my average heart rate on the same route and my pace is getting a lot better. When I first started I would average around a 9:00-9:45 pace at a heart rate of 148. Now on the same route I average 8:00-8:30 at a heart rate of 140/145.

Also, how do you mix in harder runs or what is your general plan in using MAF and then also getting in harder runs?
I follow the 80/20 philosophy by Matt Fitzgerald. Basically, I run 80 percent of my runs as easy MAF runs and only 20 percent at an elevated heart rate. Currently, I only do one hard work out a week, either a speed workout, tempo run or hill workout.

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
I really enjoyed the Indianapolis Mini Marathon. The race is held the weekend following the
Half Marathon PR Urban Bourbon
Kentucky Derby Mini, which I had just PRed. I was excited to be running the race as it received great reviews and is considered one of the largest half marathons in the country. What made the race exciting for me was that they had a special medal given to the first 500 finishers. I knew my time from the previous weekend would get me close, but with a field of almost 35,000 runners it was going to be a hard race. I gave that race everything I had, I even PRed my 5k and 10K during that race. As I approached the finish line I knew I was going to be close if at all to getting in under 500, but it happened. When the volunteer put the 500 club medal around my neck I was beyond excited!


Do you have a favorite workout you do?
I enjoy speed workouts. I don’t think I hit the track enough, but every time I do I leave the track feeling accomplished. You can gain so much, just by running around a ¼ mile track.

How about a favorite route you like to run?
There is a seven-mile route that I have around my house that incorporates about 3.5 miles of rolling hills that I love. I run that route at least two or three times a week.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
I enjoy racing the half marathon. I feel like I can give it my all but it doesn’t take forever to finish the race.

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
I run in Hoka One One Clifton’s and Bondi’s. I like the support and cushion they provide and have noticed fewer aches and pains following long runs.
Getting ready to pace at The Falls 100 Ultra


Do you have any long-range plans?
My big race of the spring is the Pistol 100. I’m focused 100% on that race. I would like to close out the spring with a few more marathons. I think a BQ is achievable with the right training, but that will wait until Pistol is over.

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
I like the terrain. Kentucky has it all you can run flat roads or crazy elevation changes on trails. I ran the Bourbon Chase this year and really enjoyed the rolling hills along the route. I think Kentucky has some of the best running terrain.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
Nowhere especially but running is always on my mind when planning vacations. I’m always pulling up map my run and figuring out where to run while traveling. I never leave home without my running shoes!

Do you have any bucket list races?
Like most runners, my bucket list race is the Boston Marathon. There are a lot of races I would like to run but none rank as high as Boston. I’ll be training for it and hopefully 2020 will be my year.

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
My greatest struggle does not have to do with running at all. It is the challenge of getting out of bed to go running. Waking up early for a long run before work is harder than the actual run itself

What do you see as a trend in running?
Times are getting faster. No matter the race the finishing times are getting faster. I’m amazed at some of the recent results, such as Eliud Kipchoge finishing the Berlin Marathon in 2:01:39 and Zach Bitter finishing the Tunnel Hill 100 miler in 12:08:36.
Freeman Lake Trail Series


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
  1. Don’t give up. If you don’t challenge yourself you won’t change yourself. Running is about dedication and it takes commitment to improve yourself.
  2. Find a group of like-minded runners. I can’t thank the Will Rivera and all the runners of Running Soles in Elizabethtown Kentucky enough. I would not be where I am today along my running journey if it wasn’t for the inspiration of others. I have learned so much from fellow runners and they keep me accountable to my weekly mileage.
  3. Set realistic achievable goals for each running season. I have found that improper training or increasing my mileage too fast has caused injury and setbacks. Decide early what your goals are and decide what is achievable. You can’t do everything in one season. Just be honest with yourself.
Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
For anyone in the Elizabethtown/Louisville Kentucky area I recommend you join the Running Soles training page on Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment