Monday, February 17, 2020

Training Overview #35 – What Training Looks Like for Me - Week of Feb 10 thru Feb 16, 2020

Thursday Zwift Ride
Running/Riding Thoughts: 
Last week I spoke on rest and while this week was not as restful as maybe it should have been it did include some rest – from running that is.  I was thinking about what topic to touch on this week and figured on doing sort of an overview of how I train.  Trust me it is not rocket science as while I probably should be more specific about what I do, and am working on it, I tend to just do what seems good for the day and week with a lot depending, especially recently, on how my foot is doing.

I will break this down into two section one on running and one on biking.  With regards to running my training starts with a focus on building my aerobic base.  Since the majority of my running races are longer runs I tend to focus on endurance work and less on speed.  This does not mean I do not see a need for speed it is just that I have to be careful on how I use speed work, if I do any, due to foot issues.  What I do tend to rely on more is tempo runs at my planned for marathon pace.  For my BQ run last year I kept tempo runs at 8:00/mile or just under and for my upcoming run at Boston this year I am going to move that down to 7:45 or a little faster if possible.  All that said the majority of my runs, say 80% of them, are at a HR of 129 or less which is what I tend to use for my MAF runs, see post on MAF here. With my foot issues I usually work to minimize soreness with running which actually helps me focus on form since as my foot feels better when I am running more fluid and relaxed.  Also, and this is sort of true of most of my training, when my form is relaxed my HR is lower and I generally feel better.

Do I think I could benefit from speed work – say mile repeats or even shorter – yea I do but I also find right now I also see more danger in making my foot worse doing so.  Thus, I am relying on tempo work and it has worked out so far and when I get to my ride training you will see I use workouts there to benefit my running as the power work riding does, for me translate to running.

As far as riding I also tend to spend a fair amount of time at a lower HR as again many of the rides/races I am focusing on are longer.  That said bike races tend to have one characteristics that running races, well at least mine, do not have and that is times of more intensity followed by consistent pace and this can take place anywhere in a ride but very much so happens at the beginning which makes race starts difficult.  Due to this I do try and put in some hard efforts in the midst of even my easier rides, but keep them shorter, just to get used to the fluctuation in intensity.  This change in pace also helps to work my metabolic flexibility so that I can transition from fat burning to carb utilization then back to fat burning.  I do try to have some rides that are just at a consistent easier pace, again based on HR, so as to build my aerobic endurance base some more.

The danger in this cycle training is that at times I can find myself doing more work than I should and harder.  Unlike running where if you work too hard you feel it in such a way that running hard again too soon is just plain difficult.  With riding since there is less impact involved I have found it easier to overdo it multiple days in a row and with usually running on days I am not riding this can be an issue.  What I find with riding is I find out when I have done too much when I am just very tired but by then it is sort of too late.  So, I try and make sure to review how things feel and are going and adjust from there.  I do know that I need to do a little more power work on the bike as watts are key and I need to get mine up for a lower HR.  Climbing, where races are won and lost, are all about watts but watts at a sustainable HR and that is what I need to work on.  Also, probably in 2021 I would like to do the World 12/24 Hr Championship TT and power will be key there as well.

That is a very simplistic look at my training but after all it is pretty simplistic.  Should I be more specific and do more defined workouts in both biking and running, probably so, but for now it is what it is.  I also think that having been running for 47+ years and riding for 40+ does help and as both riding and running greatly build on each other year over year I am now cashing in on that account.

My suggestion for you is to take from this that you need to know what your goals are as that will drive your training. If you goal is health and well being and racing is far from your goals then you can pretty much stay at a lower HR for most all the time.  However if you want to race then decide what that racing is to look like then have your training work towards that goal.  One other suggestion if you can afford it is to get a coach even if for a short time to learn how to train.  A coach can have an outside view of how things are going and can greatly help.  If you cannot afford a coach then read and see what works for you.  If you decide to do one of those pre-written plans my only warning is to realize that that plan is a general one and you need to see it as that and adjust as required.  Lastly, be flexible since life happens and adjustments need to be made – so make them.

Bottom line – enjoy the process.

Week’s Training Overview:
Well the week was a rest week, well as I stated above - sorta as it was a rest from running.  However, I did put in some hard efforts on the bike and still got in 200+ miles for the week riding.  Add to that over a 7 day period with last week I did 313 miles which is the most miles I have put in for many years.  The rides this week were a mix of mid-distance rides (30-40) at a HR of 125 or under with usually a second ride with some hard efforts included.  Thursdays second ride this week was a little harder for the entire ride once warmed up.

I do notice the more I ride, and as with most rides lately due to weather and work is done indoors on Zwift, the more I see a need to work on power as at the end of the day in riding for sure that is what it is all about if needing to go fast.  This is not to ignore HR but to realize that the goal is to increase the wattage output at a lower HR so that one goes faster with less delving into the energy stores too much.  I do have a foot pod from Stryd for my shoes that shows power running so may look into that again.

I did not run this week to work on resting my Posterior Tibial Tendon (PTT) issue that was exacerbated by my Accessory Navicular bone but still having soreness so think this is going to be a longish process.  The goal is to keep working at strengthening it while still getting ready for Boston.  Once I am done with Boston I am going to take a couple weeks off in a row, more if needed, from running to see if I can get rid of this once and for all.  I did notice that while the Navicular issue is less the PTT issue can also be felt a little when riding but seems mostly to be what I feel as residual from running.  So the time off after Boston should be very helpful.

I did find my schedule got away from me again and did not do as much work on my PTT as I would like.  What I did realize, and had been not doing lately, is that using my Power Dot really does seem to help.  It has not gotten rid of the problem I have but do feel some improvement and just need to figure out the electrode placement for my issue.  What I find is that the more consistent I am with the PowerDot the more it seems to help.  But then again is that not true of anything that the more consistent we are the better.  I also need to do more work on my MoboBoard but have to be more careful to not overdo it and just be patient with the strengthening work.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
- Monday: Ride – 50.26 Miles
- Tuesday Morning: Ride #1 – 30.68 Miles
- Tuesday Afternoon: Ride #2 – Warmup 1.58 Miles & 27.29 Miles  (Ttl – 28.87)
- Wednesday: Rest Day
- Thursday Morning: Ride #1  -  43.67 Miles
- Thursday Afternoon: Ride #2 – Warmup 7.24 Miles  & 27.25 Miles (Ttl – 34.49)
- Friday: Ride – 22.14 Miles
- Saturday: Rest Day
- Sunday:  Rest Day

Weeks Totals:
- Running Miles: 0 Miles
- Running Time: 0 Hrs
- Riding Miles: 210.1 Miles
- Riding Time: 9:56 Hrs
- Total Miles: 210.1 Miles
- Total Time: 9:56 Hours

Weekly Diet Notes:
No news this week diet wise as simply just a pretty consistent week.  I will say my carbs have probably been a little higher – more near 200-250 – as I have been doing more riding with more hard efforts.  As I have shared before I am trying to find that right mix to make sure I am not overly depleted of carbs but also make sure I stay metabolically flexible.

Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
While I would have really liked to have ended the week after not running with a fully healed PTT I am about where I figured, with a long way to go.  The goal is to simply maintain things and gain running fitness to do well at Boston then refocus on riding and heal up my PTT.  I also will need the rest as it looks like I will be helping a friend with pacing 20 miles of his first 100 miler at the No-Business 100.  Due to this, while I still have a couple running races in July, the rest will be good and will focus on the same training I did for the Grand Canyon run for the pacing work.

For next week the goal is to get back into running but keep my longest run to 8 miles.  Due to this I will run twice a day at least two of the days to get in 30 miles and looking to run Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  As far as riding I want to get in about 200 miles on three days riding.  Having two late afternoon Zwift rides on Tuesday and Thursday I will have two rides each of those days.  For the third ride the goal is to actually get outside and do a gravel ride on Saturday as weather is looking good for the week if maybe a little cool out early

That is the plan so now to follow through and see how it goes.  The following week will led to a month of less riding, but will get in at least one 100 miler, due to being in CA for work as well as working to getting ready for Boston.  Thus will be working to get in a few more running miles and extend my long run.


Last Week's Overview #34


Want to try PR Lotion, use this code for your first order: TryNextGen20 
(Good till end of February 2020)



No comments:

Post a Comment