Monday, November 12, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner Chris Tanner

2017 Backyard Classic 8HR Race w/his daughter Taylor
Always good to meet Chris when I get out to a race in E'town or to a Running Soles run.  A very
positive guy and always eager to learn more so he can improve.  Enjoy getting to know him.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I am 42 years old and was born in Hardin Memorial Hospital in Elizabethtown KY.   I grew up in Hodgenville, Kentucky then graduated from Christian Liberty Academy in 1994.  I currently reside in Elizabethtown. 

What is your profession?
I work at Soudal Accumetric in shipping and receiving 

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
I ran when I was a teen then after school I stopped.  4 years ago my daughter Taylor wanted to start running and asked me if I could help her.  I initially told her she wouldn’t want to do it. She insisted and we started at .25 miles.  I pushed her and ran with her being there during the winter, almost like coaching her,  and myself without really realizing I wasn’t just helping her.  I was also starting to get back into it myself.  After 3 years she decided she was done running and I decided I wanted to really get back into it.  So, I started running with Will in the Running Soles running group approximately 3 years ago. I then started with 5k moved up to 10k and then a 10 miler and a half marathon. 

How long have you been running?
2018 Rodes City 10K w/Christopher his son
Approx 4 years now since high school.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
None

Did you run in grade school, High School or College? 
Yes, I ran in middle school and high school for Larue  County

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
  • 5k  - 21:47
  • 10k  - 47:57
  • 10 mile -  1;20:52
  • Half Marathon -  1:51:45
What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
My most memorable race was run for play at GC Burkhead with my daughter  in 2014 her 1st 5k, then the Anthem 5k with my son in 2017.

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
Stationary Bike 

As you often run with the Running Soles group what do you find is most beneficial with running with a group? 
Having the support of all the runners while they all give valuable tips and pointers

How about a favorite route you like to run?  
I like running a loop around Elizabethtown

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
The half marathon
Helping and Encouraging at the 2018 Backyard Classic

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them? 
I run in Altras. The wide toe area is awesome

Do you have any long-range plans?
I want to run the Pistol 100 in March

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
The scenic routes and the fact I can trail run or street run

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run? 
I would like to run in Colorado

Do you have any bucket list races/runs?
I'd like to do the Daytona Run and Dessert Rats Trail Running Festival 50K

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Time

What do you see as a trend in running?
More people working on running Ultra races

Working out in the Running Soles stairwell
If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be? 
Don’t give up and if others say anything demeaning they are just jealous because they don’t get off the couch and do it themselves

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
Strava

Any closing comments?
I am blessed to have the running group and my family for all the support they give me.


No comments:

Post a Comment