Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner and Race Director Cynthia Heady

Leadville
This week for Interview Tuesday I talk to Cynthia Heady who is not only an accomplished ultra
runner but also is a race director for a number of great races in the area.  Cynthia has run a number of well known domestic Ultras and she has also run UTMB which is on many people's bucket list of races to do, or at least places to run.  Enjoy getting to know Cynthia a little better, do one of her races, and say hi when you see her out there on the trails.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I am 57.. to be 58 in August…born in Shelbyville Ky.  Grew up in Madisonville.  Studied art which I have always loved.  I went to Murray for fine arts and the Art Institute of Atlanta for commercial art… Franciscan University for a BA in theology.  Work as an ER RN and race director.

What is your profession?  
I have worked in the ER for 25 years or so.  I have put on triathlons and trail runs for 20 years.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
1998 Jan 1 I made a New years Resolution to quit smoking, do something good for someone else, and get in shape.  I signed up to run a marathon for leukemia.  I quit smoking after 22 years, raised 3,000 dollars, and ran a marathon in 4 months.

I did all this because I have a younger sister and I wanted her life to be better than mine, I had to set an example.

How long have you been running?
I started in 1998

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I started triathlons around the same time…
I swam on the swim team growing up for 9 years

Did you run in grade school, High School or College? 
Never
Finish of 2017 UTMB

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
I ran a marathon at the beginning so I never really ran shorter distances except to train.
I did once run at 5k around 20 min. which I enjoyed…I did it because Todd was timing it and I was there.  I thought after that I would enjoy running faster but never really followed it.
You race direct the Louisville Lovin' the Hills – do you direct any other races?
  • I put on several triathlons, just finished the Shelbyville Tri Series which is 3 winter tris…going on 15 or more years for these.
  • Otter Creek Marathon and Otter Night Run are trail run
  • The Haunted Trails of Waverly Park is a night 10k around Halloween.
  • HangOver Classic is a road 10 miler New Years day
  • We time other peoples races as well  
  • Can find races at Headfirst Performance 
Do you do this independently for particular races or are you part of a race directing group?
Todd and I do it all ourselves.  We even design and print all the shirts  we are a one stop shop!  Chase and Bobby started working for us at the age of 14… our nephews that wanted something to do.  They finished grad school and got real jobs a few years ago…we are back where we started!  Lucky for us the boys still come around and help when needed.  

I understand you ran UTMB in 2017 – how was that? 
That is one area I would love to run in. . I loved this race!  I loved Western (States) and think it is the best in the US but there is something so special about UTMB.  It was a challenge.  Higher mountains than I have ever climbed but the beauty was beyond words.  I loved it!

What is your most memorable race or races, other than UTMB if that was one of them, and share a little about at least one of them?
UTMB was awesome….
Western states is worth all the hype and the work to get there year after year.  This is the reason I wanted to run 100 miles.  I went to the training camp in 2000 and came home knowing I had to do it!  I then ran my first 100 in Ark. A few months later just to put my name in the lottery.
I love the town of Leadville!  It is a very special place!

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
Running trails and flying the downhills!  
Otter Creek
I loving running as hard as I can downhill!

What does a regular week of training look like?
I work 12 hour night shifts and race direct so I run strange times.
I like high mileage so I run as much as I can…I go to the gym for a weight workout  4 times a week

How about a favorite route you like to run?
I run every day at 5 pm at the park near me.  I run a combination of road and trail.  I have done it for years

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
100 miles favorite distance
Local races I love land between the lakes 50 mile, it is good for training
Western is my favorite US 100

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
I love Hoka Speed goat.  The tread grips which is needed for mountain running .
Here though I were Hoka Challenger or Brook GTS

How about diet, do you eat any certain way and do things change on race week and race day?
I always eat the same
Peanut butter or almond butter
Eggs and vegetables and my main stable
I love Mexican food and red wine too!

Do you have any long-range plans?
I want to run a 200 mile race…I have been thinking about it for the past 2 years, it is just really expensive
I want to put on a stage race in the near future

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
I love the single track trails and the technical trails

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
I want to run in North Carolina and Zion National park, the Grand Canyon, South Africa,,,

Do you have any bucket list races?
Moab 200

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Louisville Marathon
I have a job and cannot run as much as I want

What do you see as a trend in running?
The 200 mile run and stage races

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
  • Find what you are passionate about and go after it, it does not have to be what others desire…
  • You can do it.. it really is a matter of wanting it.  If I can do it anyone can
  • Never be afraid of your dreams.
Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
Headfirstperformace.com is our website for our races.  Anyone can find me on facebook or text me 502-220-3440

Any closing comments?
I love helping people and cheering them on.  That is way I love race directing.  I love to see people reach their goals.  I love making people happy too!  I often cook on a grill after our races..I want people to bring their families and have a good time.



********You can see past interviews here********


1 comment:

  1. Just love this woman!
    Cynthia is always positive, will leave you smiling and glad there are people like her in the world.

    ReplyDelete