Monday, June 22, 2020

Training Overview #53 – Looking Ahead - Week of June 15 thru 21, 2020

Training Thoughts:  
While so much of this year has been focused on base mileage for running and riding this will come to an end at some time – just not sure when and much of that may matter where you live.  As for me I have two events that are still on the calendar and a couple I have just added.  The ones still to be done are the Kentucky Gravel Championships at the beginning of August and then the pacing of a friend in his first 100 miler in October.  To that I have added the Red Bud Century which had been postponed has now been rescheduled for October 10th and then I have added in a 5K for November 7th.  Of these the first three will all be done basically on base mileage as they are endurance events but the 5K in November is one I want to aim for and get a good time.  Thus, this will be my focus race for the year with possibly others being added in but the Officer Daniel Ellis Memorial 5K will be my focus and the date that will work from to develop a plan from.

After taking, and getting, my Lydiard Coaching Certificate I have been wanting to work out a plan using what I have learned but with no real date in the future to work backwards from I had been putting it off.  However, now I will use the November 5K as my peak race and develop a plan using the base I already and add on as the required schedule dictates.  What will be interesting, and I have mentioned this before, is how to use the basis of the Lydiard System and incorporate still training on the bike.  For one thing, and especially with some long bike rides in the future, the usual long run that would still take place even while in other than the base phase will be done on the bike to stay ready for KGC and the Red Bud Ride and even the pacing for my friends 100 miler.

I hope to get the frame work for the training plan done this week and then come back and fill in some more specifics with regards to workouts and such.  I will publish this frame work and then as it is updates will share it here as well.  I also hope that this working out of a plan will be a step forward in working towards coaching as I get opportunity.  I am looking forward to fine tuning the use of biking and running to be ready to perform at my best in both sports and to be able to share this experiment with others to help them.  The goal also is not simply to get faster but stay healthy as in truth those work hand in hand.

Stay tuned more to come.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
This was a good week of mileage riding wise in that I got the bulk of mileage – 284.3 miles – in 4 days of riding and with the previous Saturday’s ride of 73.6 I ended up with 357.9 miles in 6 days.  While most of the rides were at a comfortable pace I did do a Crit and the usual Temp paced Mid-Week ride.  The Crit went as usual with me not being able to hang with the front group but it did not help I rode about 90K before the race so just did not have the snap to stay with the front so simply stayed with the second group and rode hard but not all out.  With tired legs I rode 40 miles before the mid-week ride and then on the 4th of 6 times up the climb I lost the group and could not get back on so just finished up the ride.  Then on Saturday I did an easy ride to see how riding up some local grave roads would be as I have run them but not ridden them.  Not sure why I have not done this before – probably just thought they were too short – but while short they will do well to train on for KGC as they are steep and rough so will help with my handing skills.

For running this week two of my runs were on the same day as rides with one done on a day with no riding.  All of the runs were easy as my legs were feeling it this week.  As the goal is simply to get some miles in with no foot or leg issues that goal was met and hope to continue it this coming week.  Plan is to start working on a running plan to get a good 5K in on Nov 7th so will need to see how to fit in a good Lydiard plan to achieve a good race.

Sunday's Short Ride


- Monday: Ride – 63.12 Miles
- Tuesday AM: Pre Crit Ride 58.05 Miles  & Crit W/Cool-Down 12.32 Miles - Total 70.37
- Tuesday PM: Run – 4.12 Miles
- Wednesday: Ride – Pre Mid-Week Ride 40.06 Miles & Mid-Week Ride 30.15 - Total 70.21
- Thursday AM: Pre Meet up Ride 54.33 Miles  & Meetup Ride 26.23 Miles - Total 80.56
- Thursday PM: Run – 6.65 Miles
- Friday: Run – 5.38 Miles
- Saturday: Rest Day
- Sunday:  Ride - 8.17 Miles

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 16.1 Miles
- Running Time – 2:22 Hours
- Riding Miles – 292.4 Miles
- Riding Time – 13:53 Hours
- Total Miles – 308.5 Miles
- Total Time – 16:16 Hours

Diet Notes:
See below for Weekly ride fueling

Weekly Fueling:
- Monday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of plain water
- Tuesday AM: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – Pre-Race – 1 Maurten Gel & 24oz of plain water
- Tuesday PM: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run
- Wednesday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of Water with SFuels Race+
- Thursday AM: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of Water and SFuels Train
- Thursday PM: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run
- Friday: Cup of coffee with heavy cream before run

The Week Ahead:
The plan for this week is much like last, with another base mileage week of  250 - 300 miles.  For now the plan will be to ride 100 on Saturday but if it is on Zwift or on the roads will depend on the weather.  Also, will try and put the mileage in but keep the effort down to work to revive the legs while still getting some mileage.  Depending on how I feel I may try anther Crit on Tuesday or Thursday but not sure yet.  I also want to ride – at least once – my route up the local gravel climbs I have around me that I rode this past Sunday – with one extra one nearby that I did not do Sunday.

With regards to running the plan 15-20 miles over 3 days with 2 of those days being ones with both a ride and a run and one with a run only.  As with the rides these will be easy runs just to work mileage up.  I may run a race on July 4th but not sure yet and if I do I am not sure if it will be a 5K or 10K – we shall see.


Last Week's Overview #52

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.







No comments:

Post a Comment