Monday, June 29, 2020

Training Overview #54 – A Plan is Started - Week of June 22 thru 28, 2020

Training Thoughts:
Nov 5K Plan
In looking at making my goal race (running) for the year being a 5k on November 7th I have 19 weeks from today (June 29, 2020).  In then looking at the standard Lydiard Pyramid (24 weeks) I find I will need to cut the Aerobic Conditioning (Base Building) short by 4 weeks.  However, it is not really being cut short since in truth I have been doing base building for the last 26 weeks so no lack of base building.

This will be the basics of my Lydiard Plan:
- Aerobic Conditioning (5 Wks) – June 29 – August 2, 2020
- Hill Training (4 Wks) – August 3 – August 30, 2020
- Anaerobic Phase (4 Wks) – August 31 – September 27, 2020
- Integration Phase (4 Wks) – September 28 – October 25, 2020
- Taper Phase (2 Wks) – October 26 – November 7, 2020

Next will be to work out the basics for the weeks in each phase based on a variety of workouts used by Lydiard in each phase to build on the base you have and progress towards ones goal race.  In looking at the dates above this works out well as my first race of the year will be the Kentucky Gravel Championships which is the week after the base building ends and that should fit well.  After that is a Century in the beginning of October and that will also fit well as it will be my long workout for that week and since my mileage will be down should be rested for it.  As far as the pacing on my friends first 100 miler and the No Business 100 it will be closer to the 5k but should be good as it will be an easier long run even if strenuous due to the terrain.

Over the next few weeks I will be working to set out plans for each week with regards to what I will be doing each week.  Sorta looking forward to this as it has been some time since I have actually set out a written plan.  Of course the plan will be flexible as life happens but want to work to be more intentional with what I am doing instead of doing things on the fly.  For this year the training has been pretty much on the fly and has been around a loose weekly plan.  But, so as to get my best 5K in November and also wanting to implement what I have learned I am going to do more planning than I am used to.  In many ways this is funny as having some OCD you would think planning would be good but my planning usually consists of a weekly mileage goal but to be my best I need more than that.

This plan will also be a first step to working on future training plans as I look into doing some coaching in the future.  It will also help me see how to meld riding and running into a plan to do the best I can in both events and excel in each.  I will be my own guinea pig as I see many have plans that are separate for each sport or have cycling, or running, as more of cross-training rather then integral and focused to well in either sport and not just one.  I truly do think, based on what I have experienced so far in a less than focused plan, that riding and running can work together to not only help each other but work to be the best one can be in both at once.  I am sure that if one were to focus on an individual sport they may get better at the sport due to specialization but over the long haul and especially as one ages I think melding both is the best plan – we shall see how it works out.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
While my last 350, actually 366, miles was over 7 days this week I did 350 in a calendar week so that gives me 717 miles riding in the last 16 days  - good reason for tired legs this week.  When coupled with 22+ miles running of which one run was much faster than planned it made for a good week of training.

I did not do any races this week but did have a good paced Mid-Week ride and also the 100 miler this past Saturday was a good pace for the amount of elevation.  I did find in the Century the biggest issue was that due to tired legs I lost the group on the first climb and in these rides due the drafting if you lose the group you are pretty much done.  I then spent the rest of the ride slowing losing more and more ground on the lead and riding with various groups till I was on my own with about 35 miles to go.  On these rides, which are very good ones put on by BMTR that I highly recommend, there are various groups riding based on distance (36, 56, 76 and 100) so as you ride when that groups distance comes along they disappear and that is what happened to me.  The Dust in the Wind course on Zwift is a difficult one with a number of climbs that making catching on even harder as by the time you get close they are over the next climb and pick up the distance again.  I did chase near the end to get under 5 hours and just made it at 4:55:34. While it would have been nice to stay with the group I was happy to finish as I did.

As running goes there were two take a-ways this week.  First, is that my foot is feeling better both while running and after.  The second thing was that I have more speed right now than I considered I had.  On Monday afternoon in the heat, humidity and after a 65 mile ride in the AM I went out for an 8 mile run with the goal of just running a tempo pace in the range of 8:00 – 8:15.  I started out at a comfortable pace of around 7:52/mile to 4 miles and came back at about 7:16/mile for an average of 7:33.  The thing was I did not realize the pace was this quick and coming back is uphill even if not any great up hills till the house.  With the heat, humidity and the morning ride I was very happy with the pace.  The other two runs this week were easy ones just to get in some miles.  I had only planned on 20 miles but on Thursday’s run as I paced the place where I got bitten some months ago and the dogs had recently been in a pen they came out and fortunately there was a car coming so they gave up but I did not want to go back the same way and face them again if they were still out.  Thus, I added a couple more miles to avoid them on the way back to the house.

Overall this was a good week of training even if my legs were tired but that in some ways was the point of the week, to up the mileage and work though tired legs.  I have about two more weeks of this then a mini taper for the Kentucky Gravel Championships and transitioning into my 19 week plan for a November 5K.

Thursday’s  - Avoid the Dog’s Run





- Monday AM: Ride -  65.19 Miles
- Monday PM: Run – 8.02 Miles 
- Tuesday: Ride – 62.15 Miles 
- Wednesday AM: Ride #1 @ 23.16 Miles  & Ride #2 @ 32.09 Miles  - 55.25 Total for Morning
- Wednesday PM: Run – 8.31 Miles
- Thursday AM: Ride – 62.26 Miles
- Thursday PM: Run – 6.44 Miles
- Friday: Rest Day
- Saturday: Ride – 5.10 Miles Warmup  &  100.72 Miles in BMTR Fundo  - 105.82 Total for Ride
- Sunday:  Rest Day

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 22.7 Miles
- Running Time – 3:07 Hours
- Riding Miles – 350.70 Miles
- Riding Time – 16:35  Hours
- Total Miles –  373.40 Miles
- Total Time – 19:43 Hours

Diet Notes:
See below for Weekly ride fueling and then the fueling for the Saturday Century

Weekly Fueling:
- Monday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 48oz of plain water
- Monday
- Tuesday AM: Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 48oz of plain water
- Tuesday PM: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run
- Wednesday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream W/ 1 Scoop SFuels Life  and 1 SFuels Bar– During Ride - 24oz of Water with SFuels Train & 1 24oz plain water
- Wednesday PM Run - Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run
- Thursday AM: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of Water and SFuels Train
- Thursday PM Run: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run

Saturday’s Ride Fueling
Pre-Ride Fueling:

- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Butter, Collagen, Heavy Cream, Chocolate Primal Fuel (1 Scoop) (609.3/15) & 1 Scoop SFuels-Life
(50/0) – Total (659.3/15)
- ½ Cup Oatmeal W/Raisins (110/22.4)
-1ea Vespa (18/5)
-1ea Altred
- Also use the AMPHuman PR Lotion
- Total:  787.3 Cals & 42.4 gr Carbs

Ride Fueling:
- 2ea of 24oz bottle with 2 scoops of SFuels Train each (120/2 per bottle – Ttl 240/4)
- 1ea of 24oz of SFuels Race+ (100/15 )
- 2ea 24oz plan water
- 1ea Vespa at 2.5 hours – 18/5
- 2ea S!Caps at 2.5 Hours
-1ea Altred at 2.5 Hours
- Totals: 358 Calories  – 24 gr Carbs
- Totals for Pre and During Ride: 1145.3 Calories – 66.4 gr Carbs

The Week Ahead:
This coming week will pretty much be a repeat of this past week, except I will work to up my running a few miles to 25 and will avoid the fast day like this past week.  As far as riding I will try and keep it around 300 unless things happen to allow for a longer ride on the weekend and maybe it will then go to 350.  I will probably still have tired legs this week as the miles accumulate but with about 6 weeks of base training to go till I start the more specific work for November.

Last Week's Overview #53

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.







No comments:

Post a Comment