Monday, November 23, 2020

Training Overview #70 – More Thoughts on the Road Ahead - Week of Nov 9 thru Nov 22, 2020

Training Thoughts:  
My View When I Leave for a Run
Still not sure what is ahead with racing plans except for a couple gravel races in KY I am fairly sure will take place in May and July and then there is the Steamboat Springs Gravel race (144 Miles) in August but that is still uncertain.  One thing I know I need to work on is some strengthening exercises and now that my hamstring is feeling better I can start those exercises.  The one place I tend to fall woefully short on is “consistent” strength and mobility work and that needs to be dealt with.
Over the next few weeks, I will focus on simply getting in some miles and not overdoing it. and working on a strength and mobility routine.  I want to work on an actual plan but as most plans are done working back from a goal date not having that makes such planning difficult.  As I will mention again, since the start of any plan is base milage I can for sure focus on that without a written plan.  But as part of this base period I want to, again, incorporate strength and mobility work and endeavor to be consistent at it instead of doing it sporadically.

I do know with some gravel racing in the next year I need to work in more actual gravel training so hope to see how I can work some in after the first of the year and when get back from Idaho.  In this I also want to work in some longer runs, runs over 15 miles, so I can build up some strength in my feet for a possible marathon or 50 miler in the coming year.  Not sure where or when but hope to do one – might even look to Tunnel Hill next year.

Overview of Last Two Weeks Runs and Rides:
Week of Nov 9 – 15
This week as the following week was focused on getting in some miles with the main hard ride, this week, to be the Tuesday night Zwift Racing League race.  As I was still working to get over my strained hamstring from the 5K the previous Saturday the goal for the week was just to get it better.  That said my long rides were pretty good but at a consistent speed and lower cadence as it felt better on my hamstring.  The Zwift race was a hard one with some good climbs and the usual blazing start were I got dropped.  I went out hard but also conservatively as was tired and did not want to have hamstring issues thus the ride ended up being basically an Individual Time Trial on my own.  My average W/Kg was lower than normal for my races which was to be expected.  I finished off the week with my 21st Century for 2020 by riding with the ‘C’ Group on the BMTR ride.  These are great rides as there are various groups so you can pick the effort you want to stay at to better stay in Zone 2.  Rode with main group till about 100K where the group takes a break and I kept on with a smaller group as did not want to stop.  Once done with the 100 miles I continued on for an extra 25 to get my longest ride on Strava.  Felt quite good after the ride.

This week’s runs were all done at a comfortable pace and, as with riding, done so as not to stress my hamstring.  The first runs of the week were slower than normal and did feel some tightness in my opposite hamstring – probably due to compensating - but helped work the issues out.  Got in some good miles for the week while still working to get healthy – my hamstring did feel better by the end of the week.

Week of Nov 16  –  22
This week was much like the previous one except I did not race this week.  I did do a hard workout on Tuesday morning using the SFuels Stadium where we did 6 sets of 6ea of 30/30's - 30 seconds at 130% FTP and 30 seconds rest with 4 minutes between sets.  I also did the Wednesday BMTR Mid-Week ride which is a good paced ride.  Was tired to start the Wednesday ride as did 48miles prior to the tempo ride - but worked into it.  I ended the week with another long ride for my 22nd Century of 2020 in riding with the ‘C’ group on the BMTR Saturday 100 miler.  As with last week rode with the group through 63 miles then instead of stopping rode on with a small group to finish up in 4:08 and then did a few extra miles for a total of 105 at an average of just under 25mph.  This was a good ride since while there was not a lot of climbing with 3000ft it is enough that to be at the given pace took some effort but was able to keep HR down in the sub 130 range for most of the ride till the last 10 miles.

As far as running this week was much as last week except on Monday I ran 8 miles at 8:10 pace that felt very comfortable.  The rest of the week was kept relaxed and easy.  Ended with the pretty much the same milage as last week and feeling good.

Bottom line it was a good two weeks of riding and running where my hamstring is better and still got in a good amount of work in.

Workouts Nov 9 – 15
- Monday AM: Ride #1 – 8.29 Miles  & Ride #2 – 55.40 Miles  - Ttl of 63.69 Miles
- Monday PM: Run – 7.15 Miles  
- Tuesday AM: Run – 7.06 Miles   
- Tuesday PM: Ride – Ride #1 – 20.18 Miles  & Ride #2 - 9.03 Miles  & Ride #3 (Race) 22.16 Miles  - Ttl of 51.37 Miles
- Wednesday AM: Ride – 63.12 Miles 
- Thursday AM: Run –  8.06 Miles  
- Friday AM: Run – 8.27 Miles  
- Saturday AM: Ride – 125.16 Miles  
- Sunday: Rest Day

Weekly Totals Nov 9 – Nov 15
- Running Miles – 30.5 Miles  
- Running Time – 4:28:36 Hours
- Riding Miles – 303.3 Miles
- Riding Time – 12:56:46  Hours
- Total Miles – 333.8 Miles
- Total Time – 17:25:22 Hours

Workouts Nov 16 – 22
- Monday AM: Ride #1 – 10.08 Miles   & Ride #2 – 55.48 Miles  - Ttl of 65.56 Miles
- Monday PM: Run – 8.10 Miles 
- Tuesday AM: Ride – 65.17 Miles  
- Tuesday PM: Run 8.48 Miles 
- Wednesday AM: Ride #1 – 48.04 Miles    &. Ride #2 – 33.15 Miles  -  Ttl of 81.19 Miles
- Wednesday PM: Run – 9.03 Miles  
- Thursday AM: Run – 5.39 Miles  
- Friday: Rest
- Saturday AM: Ride – 105.11 Miles  
- Sunday: Rest Day

Weekly Totals Nov 16 – Nov 22
- Running Miles – 31.0 Miles  
- Running Time – 4:26:48 Hours
- Riding Miles – 317.0 Miles
- Riding Time – 13:13:01 Hours
- Total Miles – 348.0  Miles
- Total Time – 17:39:49 Hours

Diet Notes:
All rides this week done in the morning were again done fasted with the exception of a cup of coffee with heavy cream and a scoop of SFuels Life (50 Cals / 0 Gr Carbs).  During the rides I only had water or some SFuels Train.  Fueling for the long rides on both Saturdays was the same except for the ride on the 14th I took a Vespa about 30 minutes before the ride and at halfway.  Also, while not not diet related I do use the AmpHuman PR Lotion on most all rides and longer runs as it does work to minimize soreness and aid in recovery.

The rest of both long rides were fueled as follows:

Pre-ride:
- Modififed Bullet Proof Coffee (Coffee, 2 Scoops Collagen, 1 Egg, 1 Tblsp Coconut Oil, 1 Tbsp Kerrygold Butter, 1 Scoop SFuels Life, 3 Tblsp Heavy Cream, 1 Scoop Primal Fuel)
- ½ Cup Oatmeal, 1 Tsp Maple Syrup, 1 Tsp Butter
- Total Pre-Ride: 895 Cals / 27.8 Grms

During Ride:
- 1 24 oz bottle water with 2 scoops SFuels Train
- 1 24 oz bottle water with 1 packet SFuels Race
- 1 20 oz bottle of water – 
- Total on Ride: 200 / 17
- Total with Pre-ride – 1095 Cals / 44.8 Gr Carbs


The Week Ahead:
Goal is to pretty much repeat the last week or two of running and riding.  As my travel plans changed my get in a little more riding as not going to CA as initially planned.  I want to keep the runs relaxed and weekly milage to not much more than the 30/week I have been doing recently.  With regards to riding as I will not do a long ride this coming week milage this next week will be lower but plans are to do another century the week after next.  I still need to plan out a training schedule but s still do not have much clarity on what is ahead it is not all that easy to do.  That said since the start of any phase is base milage I will work on that for now and see where to go from there.


Previous Training Post -  Overview #69

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.

 
Receive 5% off with code TONYK5

Use the following code for 25% off, one time use per customer, 
click on graphic above: AmpHuman25
(Good til Jan 1, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment