Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Kentucky and Masters Runner Mike Taulbee

At the Start of the Process
I have yet to meet Mike in person but was led his way by Duffy Sutton and I am glad he did.  Not wanting to reveal too much before you read the interview but I have to say Mike's transformation from being 330lbs and just working his way up to be able to run at all in 2016 to now being around 172 - 175lbs and running a 5k in 20:30 and a marathon n 3:22 is indeed inspiring.  The pictures help to show this transformation from the start to today.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I am 45 years old and was born in a small doctor’s office in Campton, KY in Wolfe County but I have pretty much lived in Jackson, KY in Breathitt County my whole life. Breathitt County is large in land mass but very small in population and is located in the Appalachian Mountains which blesses me with courses that can be as easy or as difficult as I choose that day. I graduated from Breathitt County HS in 1991 and then attended Eastern KY University but dropped out after one year to start a family.


What is your profession?
I work for the KY transportation cabinet as an Engineering Technician III where most of my day is spent with contractors making sure their work is at KY specifications.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
I started running by walking! I was over 330 pounds and running was not an option. I would come to my offices small parking lot every morning before work and would walk the rectangle lot. After a couple of weeks I got to where I could jog one long side of the parking lot which is about 500 feet and would walk the other 3 sides and catch my breath then repeat the process. After about a couple weeks of this I would run 2 sides then walk 2 sides. I just kept progressing not giving up until I could make it all the way around the parking lot without stopping. I just kept up this process running as long as I could then walking long enough to catch my breath then start running again. Once that I got to where I wasn’t embarrassed to let people see me attempt to run I moved from the parking lot where I worked to the local school track. It took me around three months from starting in the parking lot to being able to make at ½ mile 2 laps around track without stopping. I decided to start running after my youngest child moved off to college. I guess it was the empty nest syndrome and it was either get out of the house and run/walk or go crazy worrying over my kids. I was always active in my kid’s life and I even coached the local high school softball team and travel softball teams. I had went from spending all my free time on a softball field with my team during season and just my daughter after season to having nothing really to do. I knew I needed to get in shape because it was even becoming a struggle to bend over and tie my own shoes. I was on high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine also and I knew that if I wanted to live a long life I needed to take this new found free time and work on me. On a positive note I was able to get off all my medication within 4 months of starting my better me venture.
After first 1/2 Mile Run


How long have you been running?
I started walking/running in October 2016 but was all running in May 2017.
My goal when starting was to be able to run my local festivals 10K in September 2017. My daughter ran cross country in school and I had visions of us running that race together when she came home from school for Labor Day Weekend. I did run a 10K two weeks before this one but got the stomach virus the night before this race and was unable to participate. I did run my first marathon at the end of September which way exceeded my goals and expectations for me at that point. 


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I did play HS football.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
I never really ran in school. I did run a little when I was 29 years old but nothing worth mentioning. It was kind of a new year’s resolution that fell to the way side. 


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
  • 5K - 20:30 at a charity run in a neighboring county June 2018.
  • 10K  - Only ran the one race in August 2017 46:48
  • ½ Marathon Race  - 1:43:06 Santa Hustle Sevierville TN December 2017
  • Marathon  - 3:22:52 Flying Pig May 2018 Cincinnati Ohio
What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
Flying Pig Marathon was my most memorable for several reasons
  1. I had a Boston qualifying time for my age
  2. Spectator support was awesome
  3. Race environment and other runners were great.
Still on the Journey
Honestly they have all been memorable in one way or another because I want to remember how I did and beat that performance the next time.


Do you have a favorite workout you do?
Don’t really have any certain workouts other than I just run.
This is my routine I’ve worked up to as of now and I hope to keep being able to progress.
  • Monday – Thursday 8 mile run each day
  • Friday- rest
  • Saturday 24-32 mile run depending on heat and other factors
  • Sunday 8-13 mile run.
I try not to alter my schedule other than adding miles but sometimes I  may alter the weekends due to rain, weather or family scheduling by running 8 Friday taking off Saturday and then running 24-32 on Sunday but I always get my long run in. 


How about a favorite route you like to run?
I mostly just do road runs and I know no one will know this route but I like to start at Sykes in Chavies, KY and run to KY 205 park and ride in Vancleve, KY which is a distance of 31 miles. 


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
I like the marathon distance the best because it’s not so much about speed for me but endurance. The human body is amazing at how much endurance it can build up to handle if conditioned to do so.


Do you have any long-range plans?
Several of my running buddies and myself are going to MT Rushmore to run a half Marathon in September of this year. We are all excited about this trip because none of us has been there before.  Probably be more of a go pro fun run than trying to PR run. 

Signed up for the Columbus Ohio Marathon that’s in October 2018 and the Marshall University Marathon That’s in November 2018.


I’m wanting to attempt a 100 mile run sometime in 2019.

My best long range plan is just to keep going and try to keep up my new healthy lifestyle. 


What do you like best about living and running in KY?
I love my mountains. To me nothing is more beautiful in the fall than seeing all the colors of leaves on the hills. Not sure how religious I should get on here but it’s like God just took a paint brush and painted a breathtaking picture.

I like running in KY because you can run as flat of a course you want or the hilliest demanding course you want.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Not really struggled with anything yet. Starting where I started I still count my blessings and thank God I’m able to run. I have a paraplegic friend that lives in another state. I was always posting on FB my runs and weight losses and was always talking about how anything is possible if you want it bad enough. Then one day he called me out on it and made me realize just how lucky I am to be able to do this and accomplish all I have done and that it’s not possible for everyone. 


What do you see as a trend in running?
I’ve not really ran long enough to notice trends.
It does seem everyone has some sort of tracking watch to keep up with pace and mileage.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Most Recent Photo
I’d say keep on running. It’s hard at the start and never gets easier if you keep pushing your limits but distances do get easier. I remember how bad I hurt the first time I ran 13 miles and now it doesn’t hurt anymore. This process keeps repeating as the new distances hurt but old distances get easier. It is totally worth it and I’ll say my favorite running quote. “If you want to change your body, exercise. If you want to change your life, become a runner.”


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
I just have my FB page but anyone is welcome to send me a friend’s request or just go on there and see my before and after pics. I’m always posting my times and accomplishment. Probably posting too much wearing out all none running friends.  


Any closing comments?
My changes were not all from running. It took a diet also. I wasn’t on any special diet other than a cut back portion diet. I quit eating late and quit eating fast food. Biggest thing I did was quit trying to clean everyone in my family’s plate because of not wanting to throw anything away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment