Thursday, January 11, 2018

Interview with Masters Runner Michael Brosilow

In trying to encourage and inspire other masters runners out there I am going to interview a number of people over the coming year and farther if it goes well.   I will be trying to interview a cross section of runners so as to get a good representation of a running community that is made up of all kinds of people.  For the sake of explanation I am using the USATF designation of  over 40 years old for road racing, by the way it is over 30 for track and field.

Michael turning onto Boylston at 2015 BM
For this interview I asked Michael Brosilow (60) to answer some questions.  I hope the following will let you know a little bit more about him and inspire you:


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

Born in 1957 and raised in Chicago. Still live here on the northwest side of the city. Educated at public schools. Went to the University of Illinois at Chicago. 


What is your profession?

I’ve been a professional photographer for 35 years


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?   How old were you when you started?

I started running 10 years ago when I was 50 as an alternative to cycling. I am a lifelong cyclist. An equivalent workout that takes 3 1/2 hours on the bike takes only an hour running.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

I played tennis in high school. There was no track or cross-country program at my school.


So we get an idea of where you have been at with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.

My PRs are all from 2017 when I was 60:
5K - 19:00
10K -  39: 41
Half-Marathon - 1:27:03
Marathon - 2:59:25


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them? 

Breaking 3 hours with a 2:59:26 at the 2016 Chicago Marathon. Beating that by 1 second at the 2017 Chicago Marathon. Boston 2013 will never be forgotten. 


What is your favorite distance to run and race?

I love the Marathon and interestingly enough 5Ks.


Do you have any long-range plans?

2020 Abbott Age Group World Championships.


What do you like best about running?

The purity and simplicity of it.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?

Getting my runs in around a constantly changing schedule.


How has running in your later years helped you in other areas, if it has?

Running has a positive effect on everything I do.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say to those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

Start with small goals and build up as you achieve them.


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share, if not that is OK?

Brosilow.com


I hope that gives you a little bit of a look into who Michael is and I look forward to more interviews in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment