Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Meet Ohio and Masters Runner - Crystal Clark

Stephen Lee and Cristal Clark
While the majority of people I will interview in this series are from Kentucky I did not want to leave
out those that live in the surrounding areas and often run and race here in KY.  To that end I asked Crystal Clark, a host of the Heartland Running Podcast, if should would answer some questions about herself and her running.

The following are Crystal answers to the questions I ask everyone and I hope this will let you know a little bit more about her.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

I just turned 44 and live outside of Cincinnati with my husband, son and cat named Geddy Lee.  I’m originally from Canada and moved to the USA in 2004 to marry my husband.  We were married at the finish of the Boston Marathon (yes after running and still in sweaty running clothes).


What is your profession?

I manage employee benefits and workers comp for a local school district.  No, I don’t get summers off. 


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 

I was not athletic at all and had too much beer at a company picnic.  I was talking to a girl who was going to be running her 2nd half marathon.  I thought hey I want to do that too.   Even after beer logic wore off, I signed up to run the Canadian International Half Marathon 8 weeks later.  I was so naïve that I found out DURING the race that it was longer than I had originally thought. 


How long have you been running?

That first half marathon was back in 2001.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

I did go through a phase in my 30s where I fell in love with martial arts and made it to 2nd degree black belt.  I also became a certified instructed and started an all-women’s class.  


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?

No not all.  I avoided running at any cost.  I was the kid who asked my mom to write me a note to get out of gym class. 


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
  • 5k - 22:44
  • 10k - 46:24
  • 15k - 1:15:59
  • Half-Marathon - 1:44:20
  • Marathon - 3:38:07
  • 50k - 5:30:00
  • 50 miles - 10:42:40 

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?

One of my favorite races was the Hawk 50 miler in Lawrence, KS.  I ran it with my close friend Stephen Lee about 2 months before he passed away.   We got lost, ran out of water, had a snake encounter and finished over 5 hours longer than we expected.  However, we smiled and laughed the entire way.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?

My favorite races to run are timed events (vs. a specific distance).  I think it is fun to see how you can push yourself without the pressure of a DNF. 


Do you have any long-range plans?

I’m still chasing after that 100 mile finish.  2018 will be attempt number 3.   Once I break through that barrier, I want to start chasing down crazier goals. 


What do you like best about living and running in the OH/KY area?

I love how you can find a bit of everything here – from hilly and technical trails to the flat bike path the runs for hundreds of miles.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?

I sometimes struggle with comparing my current self to my old self.     Of course I was lighter and faster in my 20s vs. my 40s.   That is one of reasons why now choose to go longer instead.


What do you see as a trend in running?

I feel like ultras are gaining more and more popularity.   More races are appearing and established races are filling up quickly. 


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

Find your reason for running.  I love to run for the pure joy and happiness it brings me.  After having to deal with the early death of my friend Stephen, I realized that tomorrow is not given.   So when I’m out on the trails (or even the roads) and it is sucking, I’ll stop for a brief moment and find the beauty.  There is always something beautiful out there – the stars, a flower, a shadow, even the snow.   That allows me to smile and keep going.


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?

I’m the cohost of the Heartland Running podcast.  You can find us at www.heartlandrunning.com.  (Also on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, etc.)

I also love Instagram.  My IG name is @seecrystalrun. 


Any closing comments?

Thank you Tony for everything you do and all of the information that you put out there for us to consume.  I’m hoping that our paths will finally cross at some of those ultras this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment