Monday, February 12, 2018

Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner - Nelson Weaver

It has been fun getting to know people around the state that I may have only meet briefly at races but through these interviews have gotten to learn a little more about them.  The following are some questions I asked Nelson Weaver and I hope this will further let you know more about him and learn even more about the great community of runners we have in Kentucky.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

I am 45 years old and was born & currently reside in Somerset, Kentucky (near beautiful Lake Cumberland).  I am married to the most wonderful woman in the world, my best friend, Millie, and we have a spectacular daughter, Lily.  I am a Christian and I love the Lord!  I grew up on a farm and graduated from Wayne County High School (Monticello) in 1990, and the University of Kentucky in 1994 with a degree in Crop & Field Science & a minor in Agriculture Economics. 


What is your profession? 

I am a Real Estate Broker & owner of Lake Cumberland Real Estate Professionals.  I have been in real estate for almost 19 years.  My wife and I are active with our church, The Creek, our local community, and several charities.  Serving as a board member on Habitat for Humanity, I have just taken over as Race Director for The Lake Cumberland Half, a beautiful 13.1 mile road run that starts at Lake Cumberland.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 

I have always been physically active and enjoyed lifting weights with light cardio over the years.  I taught a Spin Class for 7 years but wanted to do something more challenging, so I decided to take up running. 


How long have you been running?  

I transitioned to running in 2012 at the age of 40.  We bought a treadmill and I was hooked after just a few runs.  I began reading everything I could about the sport and how to get faster.  (I should have concentrated more on staying injury-free!) 


Did you participate in any other sports over the years? 

I played basketball up until my Sophomore year in high school and then played football my Junior & Senior year.  


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?  

I never ran competitively throughout school and now I wish I could have so bad.  I feel I have missed out.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past:

  • 5K:  19:50
  • 10K: 43:11
  • Half Marathon: 1:34:33

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?  

I must say my favorite races are trail races and there is not a one that does not leave a memory.  From the first 5k Rotary Trail Run in January 2015 (where I turned my ankle, and realized I needed to run trails more often), I was totally hooked on running wild & free in the woods.  One notable race was last year’s Dry Creek Trail 10K race near Nashville Tennessee, where I really pushed it and knew I had a bunch of people in front of me, but when I crossed the line and looked at my wife, she had this surprised look on her face, and she says “You Won!”  As it turns out, I did place first for the 10K, but all the fast runners were doing the Half and Full Marathons.  I love the Yamacraw run at Stearns (Brian Gajus), the Hot Hot Hundred & The Reaper 30K at Morehead, and the Rough Trail Ultra at Red River Gorge (Mike Whisman) is breathtaking (literally).


What is your favorite distance to run and race? 

I do not really know what my favorite distance is at this point in my running career.  Once I complete a distance I want to go farther.  For my level of fitness, I would say a 25K trail race or Half Marathon on the road is about right to open it up and really push your limits.


Do you have any long-range plans? 

Yes, to run until my 80s-90s!  I am at a stage where I am still gaining speed & endurance so there are so many options looking forward.  This year I am running my first road marathon at Louisville in April and hope to BQ (I love the trails but one time I have to run at Boston).  Then in November I have signed up for my first 50K!  I definitely want to knock out a 50-miler and hopefully a 100-mile run in 2 or 3 years.


What do you like best about living and running in KY? 

We have some of the best varied running terrain of anywhere.  Without driving too far you can easily find a flat course, a slightly hilly run, or a shred-your-glutes-&-quads hill climb.  There are so many challenging & beautiful trails, especially along the Sheltowee Trace.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running? 

Time.  There is never enough time to squeeze in the amount of training, running, & races that I would like.  It is an on-going struggle being a business owner, husband, & father and trying to balance all those roles.  Running enhances my life, but I don’t want to take away or miss out on family time.  


What do you see as a trend in running? 

I see two things.  The longer Ultras continue to pop up and humans keep pushing unfathomable limits – it’s amazing!  I also see more runners using social media apps where we can feel a part of a community whether we run with each other day-to-day or not.  I am excited daily to check my Strava news feed and see where my friends & heroes have ran.  It pumps me up.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?  

Running is a gift.  Do not take for granted good health and always being able to run.  Take care of your body.  Be patient starting out and be content to get a slow, easy, base established before throwing in too much intensity.  Our bodies can do amazing things, at any age, but it is a slow biological process.  So, eat well and be sure to get plenty of rest & recovery.  


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share? 


Any closing comments? 

I am so thankful to be a part of the running community and I think it is incumbent upon us to give back by volunteering, encouraging, & inspiring those around us who do not realize what they are capable of.  The neat thing about running is even though we line up against one another when the race begins, we are only competing against ourselves & our past efforts.  We root for those who finish in front of us.  We cheer on those who finish behind us.  We all know everybody has a different story and we know how hard everyone else has trained to get to where they are.  I truly love this sport!


No comments:

Post a Comment