Monday, February 5, 2018

Meet Kentucky & Masters Runner - Teresa Garrison

In this interview I talk to Teresa Garrison of Elizabethtown Kentucky, who is also a Masters runner, about her running.  I hope this will let you know a little bit more about her and also inspire you.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: 

I'm 57 years old. I was born in Louisville. I grew up in Middletown and graduated from Eastern High school in 1979


What is your profession?

I'm self employed.?


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 

I had smoked for 20 years and was overweight. 


How long have you been running? 

I joined a local running group in 2010 and started training for a 5k.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

 I played softball for a church league but wasn't very good. Did you run in grade school, High School or College? No, I was not athletic at all. 


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
  • 5k - 26:00
  • 10k is a 56
  • half marathon -1:56 
  • Marathon - 4:18
  • I'm  not a fast runner but I normally place in my age group in the smaller runs.

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them? 

My most memorable was Cloudsplitter 50k, it was my first ultra and it was beautiful. Me and my friend Mona trained hard and I enjoyed running it. Tunnel Hill was also memorable because it was my first 100 miler. 


What is your favorite distance to run and race? 

My favorite distance is 50k but to race my favorite is a 10k. 


Do you have any long-range plans? 

I'm doing LBL 50 miler in March, Yamacraw 50k in April and doing Tunnel Hill 100 again in November.  


What do you like best about living and running in KY? 

This is the only place I've lived so of course I love it.  I discovered lots of beautiful trails since I started trail running. 


What do you struggle with most with regards to running? 

Speed on the trails I struggle with so I try to enjoy them and not fall. 


What do you see as a trend in running? 

I see 100 milers becoming more popular.  You can do one as long as you put in the training, it's also a mental challenge. 


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be? 

To train hard, eat well and enjoy it! 


Any closing comments?


I never thought I would be called a athlete.  I love to run and hope I can do it for many years to come.  I recently started taking swim lessons and I'm enjoying it too.  




1 comment: