Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Kentucky and Masters Runner Jeff Rochford

New York City Marathon
I have known Jeff for a few years, since I connected up with the group that runs in E'town and it is good to see him at races and Running Soles weekday evening runs.  One thing I remember about Jeff is that it was during a run with him and a few others I was talking about running with Kenyans when I ran in college and they said they were just born at that time, I am 16 years older than Jeff.  It put a new perspective on things:) Also, Jeff agrees with my "Sunk Cost" view of race entry fees when deciding if to run a race when things come up like injuries.   Enjoy learning a little more about Jeff.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I was born in the land of enchantment, New Mexico, 43.5 years ago, but we promptly left the land of enchantment for the wheat country of Kansas.  Graduated Kansas State University with a degree in Geography of all things, which means yes, you are approved to make fun of me when I’m lost.  I’ve also obtained a MBA from Indiana University and have lived in Elizabethtown, KY for nearly 11 years. Currently have a very full household with my wonderful partner, Sarah (a fellow runner), her two young boys and my two older boys.


What is your profession?
I am director of finance for a company, Jack Henry & Associates (JKHY), that primarily develops software for banks and credit unions.  Specifically, I work within the iPay product operations which is responsible for making the bill payment functionality you might find within your bank or credit union’s online banking environment.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
I ran a little bit, off and on, recreationally in college, mainly just to stay in decent shape so that I wouldn’t get blown off the pickup basketball courts.


How long have you been running?
I started running in earnest shortly after my kids were born.  They put things in perspective for me and I simply wanted to be able to physically do anything that being a dad might warrant.  They’re nearly 16 and 18, so I guess I’ve been running about that long.  Certainly with more regularity in the last decade or so.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I played football, basketball, and tennis in high school, but quit all of them for one reason or another.  Mainly due to a bad attitude. Yes, this nice guy was once a teenage jerk.
Wet Highland Way


Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
At Kansas State I literally ran to and from Aggieville, the college bar district in Manhattan, KS, maybe a hundred or more times . . . especially on Wednesdays when it was “dollar everything” night.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
Gosh . . . I really don’t keep track of these very well.  I know I just PR’d in the half marathon at the Derby 1:35, and I think my marathon PR is from there too, at 3:29 the year prior.  Really proud of that marathon PR as I negatively split the second half of my best executed race ever.


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
Not a race . . . but a running experience.  I discovered an itch to travel somewhere, find a long path, and run/walk that path.  There are plenty of options in the world, but I settled on the West Highland Way, 105 miles of trails, drovers’ paths, and roads through the western Scottish Highlands.  I covered the distance in 5 days, averaging over 20 miles a day. It was a truly incredible experience with amazing scenery, occasionally dramatic weather events, and the kind and welcoming Scots.

(I asked Jeff if it was OK to add this video, it will give some idea of the beauty of the West Highland Way- Tony)


A close second behind that is the New York Marathon, more so because I spent a week in Brooklyn with my boys, but also because the race was such a spectacular experience, running through all five boroughs with crowds sometimes 5-10 people deep lining the streets.


Do you have a favorite workout you do?
Yoga. One of my few real regrets is that I didn’t start practicing yoga earlier in my life.  It’s so critical when you love a sport that forces your body into the same types of movements to spend time paying attention and love to the muscles and systems in your body in a way that will allow you to keep running later in life.


How about a favorite route you like to run?
Any trail with a bed of soft pine needles under foot.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Forget distance, how about my favorite race, the iPay 5K for United Way that’s coming up on Saturday, October 6th! All proceeds go to the United Way, and the date was moved up this year so that it isn’t bone chillingly cold.


What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
I became a Hoka devotee back when the Clifton 1 came out.  At the time I was dealing with some knee and IT pain and was desperate to try something new.  So I ditched my Brooks Adrenaline’s and tried on the Cliftons . . . and fell in love.
West Highland Way Spectators

That love has ebbed and flowed over the years as Hoka has never been able to quite replicate the Clifton 1 experience and because their shoes are narrow as hell, but I’m a sucker for routine sometimes, so they’re still my go to brand.


As far as how you eat I saw you were doing the Whole 30 plan.  What made you choose Whole 30?
I’ve come to the belief that you should routinely challenge your habits, and particularly your consumption (of all things, not just food).  Not looking to “diet” and lose weight, Sarah and I approached it as a science experiment.  We stripped all added sugars, grains, dairy, legumes and a host of other common staples of an American diet for 30 days.  Then you kind of just see what happens.  For us, it was alternating feelings of “gosh we feel terrible” and “OMG this feels AMAZING”, trending more towards the latter as you proceed through the 30 days.

Then you are to reintroduce some of those foods, in turn, back into your diet, observing the impact of doing so (in a more controlled environment).


How has the plan been going and what results have you seen?
So in particular, eliminating added sugar has yielded significantly positive results, namely that my energy levels have been higher and more consistent as I’ve transitioned to more of a fat-burning machine.

It’s been nearly 6 months since I’ve had anything sweeter than a raisin.  In that time I’ve:

Hiked 11 up and down miles in the Smokies with no calories
Climbed 10,000ft Mt. Lassen (15 miles and 4,200ft of gain)  with just an apple and a banana
PR’d in the half marathon, fasted, with no calories before or during the race
Executed the vast majority of training runs in a fasted state

I am still predominately Whole30, but not strictly so, and will occasionally have some grain or dairy . . . or non-compliant bacon, which is to say, bacon. Oh, and Sarah’s world famous popcorn on movie nights.


Do you have any long-range plans for running?
West Highland way

Well, one short range plan that’s racing forward at an alarming pace is a trip to the Grand Canyon at the end of this month to attempt some kind of long, audacious run/hike.  Originally the plan, inspired by some running friends (Hi Damon, Lori, and Kelly), was to attempt a rim to rim to rim.  But that’s 44+ miles and 10,000 ft of gain and I am simply not in that kind of shape.  So will probably just drop down to a ho-hum rim to river to rim effort.  Whatever, I’ve come to peace with it (that being the dissolution of goals)

Longer range plans definitely include more long path destinations.  Maybe UTMB around Mont Blanc .  .  . maybe the Inca trail . . . maybe just stay local and do the Sheltowee Trace.

In the end, I find myself enjoying the running journey more than any specific race


What do you like best about living and running in KY?
The community of runners. This running community has united a diverse crowd of folks around a shared passion. We need more of that in this world. I only wish I could attend more events.

The worst thing, even though you didn’t ask for it . . . is the humidity.  I mean come on already.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Managing reality with expectations . . . Generally regarding injuries that just take longer to heal than they once did.


What do you see as a trend in running?
Beer miles.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
My running philosophy is “run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast”. I think people, myself included, make the mistake of focusing too much or too early on speed or endurance particularly in how they compare themselves to others. Just remember that someone’s “fast” is someone else’s “slow”.


Any closing comments?
Thanks Tony, for all of your contributions to the local running community.  Appreciate the dedication and especially the wisdom you so often have to offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment