Monday, September 24, 2018

It’s OK to Want to Only Run 5K’s: Or any other Distance for that Matter!!

To start, this post is not to down play Ultras or lift up 5K’s but to step back and take a look at why we run what we run.

With the rise in popularity of Ultras, any distance over the marathon, it often seems that many that simply want to run shorter races, for whatever reason, may start to get the impression that what they do is somehow less impressive.  I am not saying those that run Ultras, or those that promote them, are seeking to create this impression, but it can often come across by how we build up those that do run longer races or how we speak of our longer runs.   Often with the talk of challenging ones-self and all the great, and they are truly great, personal inspirational stories it can be easy to begin to think differently about your own situation and look at it from the perspective of others and not from your own perspective.  What I want to do is not tell you what you should, or should not, run but share some thoughts that may help you look at why, and what, you run from your own perspective.

Let me start with what one might call unintended consequences.  By this I mean that often the pictures we see of Ultra’s are of those smiling and looking to have fun, and they may indeed be having fun, in amazing places.  I realize that most race reports share the lows as well but the saying  “a picture is worth a thousand words” comes into play that often the great pictures of an event leave a greater impression than the actual report.  When you compare this with pictures we see of, say, a 5K the aura put forth is decidedly different.  Often those in the 5K look somewhat distressed, a consequence, of pushing the limits for such a short race and on top of that most 5k's are on the road and lets be honest it is hard to make a road race look as enticing as that of a trail race.  On top of all this we hear great stories of people overcoming the many obstacle before them in longer races, stories often not heard with regards to a 5 or 10K.  To be fair we do hear such stories when it comes to marathons but our natural inclination is to, unintentionally, think that the longer the race the more there is to overcome – not necessarily true but something our minds tend to perceive it that way.  I am not saying those seeking to promote the sport of trail running and Ultra running are intentionally minimizing shorter races but I would say they have done such a good job of promotion that unintended consequence arise in that people are often enticed to the longer races.  I will add here I am probably guilty of this as well as many of the videos I share are of challenging races in beautiful and often remote places - but it is hard not to share them:) . So if I have unintentionally created the feeling that running longer and harder is better I apologize.

Next, is the idea that as individuals we need to challenge ourselves but in doing so look at our time and physical abilities and let them drive what we run rather than the latest inspirational article.  Yes, do not let preconceived limits limit you but do live in reality.  I use my self as an example: I have a nature that just likes to push the limits and thus how I moved to Ultra’s 43 years of running.  When I was younger I ran pretty well in the marathon and often ran 20 milers but had no desire to run Ultra’s but was also not influenced by the press on this as Ultras were basically an outlier sport and I also knew the pain many who ran them went through.  But when I came back to running, and after running  plenty of marathons, and hearing the stories and reading the magazines, seeing the videos and hearing the stories I was drawn to Ultra’s.  I never stopped to ask myself about the time I had to train and the toll my body may take after having been running for so many years, albeit not always running a lot.  Instead I went with the Ultra-Flow and did my first 50K which was painful but that made running longer even more enticing  - so I then looked to 50 miles.  My first 50 miler went pretty well in that I got 10th overall but my feet, mostly my current problem right foot, took a beating.  Instead of doing what I should have and ask myself about what was best for my body, at least at this time, and if I should go further or find my niche I then looked to run 100k or 100 miles.  Again, in all this I kept hearing stories, reading posts and watching videos of those running a 100 miles and even I who should know better allowed them to drive my direction rather than stopping to look inside first.  I then moved up my training with 100 miles in the distance as a goal and in doing this and running more 50ks and long training runs I looked past my foot issues- another of my less than redeeming traits as I often try and push through things when I should stop and reassess the situation.  The point here in all this rambling is I let the allure of running longer and longer drive my decision making and not a reality check of my body.  We need to challenge ourselves but in doing so live in reality and not denial.

Another aspect in this is to look at your goals with the races you run.  I say races but often for the majority of those entered in races are mostly racing themselves.  However, if you are one who is competitive and looking to do well overall, or in your age group, this may play into what you run and how far.  It is good to think this through since going in a direction because of curiosity or the allure may hamper your real goals.  As an example: for me I have a goal to run Boston in 2020 when I am 60 and then every 5 years so I am going to maybe run a 50K and one longer adventure run before the 2020 Boston race but everything else will be shorter to make sure I am healthy and ready for Boston.  Having goals helps, well should as often I let other things cloud the issue, to make decisions on what and how far to run.  Two runners who show a great understanding of what they are good at and what they want to run are Joseph Gray and Max King.  Joseph tends to run shorter mountain runs and while I am pretty sure he could run 50k’s or more he knows what it is he is good at and where his focus needs to be for now and does not let others drive a change.  Max is much the same as while I am sure he would do well at longer races most of his races are 50 miles or shorter, even running one obstacle circuit that is more “run-centric.”  The point being they know what they want to do and what will make that happen so are not drawn from that focus.

I would like to add that while I talk about enjoying running this does not preclude there being effort and some level of discomfort that may still exist.  It is often this discomfort that gives us the most satisfaction when it is overcome.  No matter the distance you run discomfort can be part of it.  I can truly say I have hurt more in a really hard 5k, even a mile when in HS and College, than in most of my Ultras albeit the discomfort in the Ultra lasted longer but rarely have my lungs hurt as bad as in a hard mile or 5K.  What this says is that if ones goal is to push through barriers then you can find them at any distance.  Yes, in Ultras often those barriers last longer and come and go more often due to the time on your feet.  But, in a 5K the mental aspect can be just as hard to get through.  I know for me the 2nd mile in a 5K is a mental barrier I need to push through as much as miles 10-20 in a 50K.  Both barriers are real and when I can break them both consistently I will have accomplished something be it in a 5K or 50K.

The above has just been some thoughts and as I have said this is not to dissuade anyone from an Ultra or talk people into 5K’s but instead is an encouragement to look at where you are and ask questions of yourself about why you want to run what you want to run.  So just ask yourself the following:
  • Are running a race or distance because you want to or because others make you feel you want to?
  • Are you ready, and have the time, to put in the effort to be able to have the best opportunity to complete your goal distance?
  • Do you have any physical issues that may preclude you doing a particular distance and if done will hinder you even running shorter distances and enjoying life on a day to day basis?
  • Do you race competitively or simply like to run in races for the camaraderie?  See how this plays into what you want to run.
  • Do you have long terms goals and how does the run you are looking at play into those long term plans?
Bottom line is have fun, remembering fun can have discomfort, no matter the distance you.  No matter how far you run do it to because it is what you want to do and not because it is the thing the “Cool Kids Are Doing?  When you are done and have taken a hard look at why you want to do what you want do and find you want to run long and do Ultras then by all means do the work needed and go for it, maybe the Moab 240 is in your future.  But, if you find you only want to run 5Ks and have fun and enjoy the camaraderie at the races then go for that and do not feel any less than those that run longer.

Again have fun!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well said and a message I think more people need to hear. Something else that I think comes into play is Strava and the various other places. I found myself always unhappy with my mile times or the distance I was running. So I very rarely post to strava anymore and am attempting to find what works for me at this time. I think afditadditio we all go thru phases and if we can just be consistent wellw get a lot further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Christian, and yes Strava can be an issue. I also ride and find it more of an issue on the bike as it seems there are way more segments so leads people to keep shooting for them, me included at times. If you are good with setting out a plan and not worrying about what others do then Strava is fine. If you are driven by competing ten it can be a detriment.

    ReplyDelete