Monday, November 18, 2019

Training Overview #23 – Do I ride to Run or Run to Ride – I Ride and Run Because I enjoy them Both - Week of Nov 11 thru 17, 2019

Running Thoughts:
This week I wanted to speak some on using riding as part of my training.  For those of you who ride you might instead see this as speaking about using running as part of my ride training.  For me it is as much about using riding to supplement what I cannot do run wise due to a foot problem as it is that I love to ride.  Truth is I was probably a better rider than runner back in the day but due to the time it takes to ride and the lack of opportunity to race I settled on running as my main sport.  So, when my issue with my right foot flared up and I had to take up riding it reminded me of how much I enjoy riding.  Thus instead of thinking of riding as cross training for running or running as cross training for riding I see it as doing the two sports I truly enjoy and isn’t that why we should do what we do - because we enjoy it.

As I have said before I do need to caveat things with the understanding that I have a large aerobic base in both running and riding having done both sports for many years so if you are just starting of in one sport or both do not expect to see immediate results in using riding as a large part of your training.  It is this base that, for example, allowed me to run about 20-30 miles a week and still be able to run an R2R2R at the Grand Canyon.  You might get away with it with less base but I am pretty sure that what got me by with so few running miles is the base I have and having run a couple 50 milers and a number of 50K’s and marathons over the years.

I do find some distinct pluses with training by both running and riding.   For one I save my legs, and for me more specifically my foot, by doing many of my long aerobic efforts on the bike instead of all of them being done on the run.  Over the last 6 months I did do a number of 20 mile runs, and a couple at my desired marathon pace, but not what I would normally do in prepping for a marathon.  It was with this plan I got my BQ qualifier in April at the Kentucky Derby Marathon where I ran 3:28:22. Truth is I did a sub 5 hour hilly 100 mile ride 2 weeks before the Derby Marathon and it worked out great.  The lack of pounding on my legs when riding allowed me to run my shorter runs at a better pace and I think that helped my overall speed in my BQ marathon.  The draw back with doing most long efforts riding is that ones legs do not get the same stimulation they will experience in the long runs so I did make sure to get in a few longer runs, but again not what I have done in the past.  I have to say that the Derby Marathon was one of my best feeling runs for that distance.  I did get some hamstring cramps and they may have been a result of the riding but as they happened in the last mile but I could live with that will work on that for the Boston.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at training is that time at a given HR/Effort is the same on your aerobic system no matter the means used to get there.  So a 4-9 hour ride at say a 130, or less, HR is the same as on a run of the same length of time – heart wise.  Even though the 3-9 hour run would be harder on my legs and probably harder to stay at such a HR without walking it works ones aerobic system the same.  This does not deal with working on the adaptation of ones leg muscles over the longer distance with regards to running but just the heart but that is a big part of my training as I shared last week.

If you are looking to work in riding to supplement your running I suggest a few things.  Get a bike fit done so you are fitted to your bike correctly since a poor fitting bike often leads to injuries and inefficiencies when riding.  Second, find someone to ride with since riding with others, especially if you are new to it, will help with learning how to ride correctly.  Also, realize riding is a skill and can take time to hone for it to be the most effective but even then you will find that your goal initially should be to supplement your running and even possibly replacing some miles.  Realize you are doing more work so make sure not to compartmentalize your running and riding so that you aim for the same miles then add on more riding miles.  Initially keep a watch on your time training and as you add more and be aware of the extra stress. Simply because you may not be as sore if you ride more you are still adding stress to your body.  Give it time and I think you will find a great benefit.

Running Overview:
As I did not have access to a bike this week and will not for 2 more weeks, I just got in running miles this week.  The goal for the week was to be at 20 miles but I ended up getting just over 25 miles.  While I can definitely feel the foot is getting better it still is sore but at least it tends to loosen up and feel better the more relaxed I run.  While I ran more than planned I also worked it out so I can get two to three days rest on the foot in a row which seems to help more than a day here and there.

The runs I did this week felt very relaxed but were a little on the side of being faster than planned.  Based on my perceived effort (PE) I am pretty sure the HR was at or close to my MAF (see last week’s post) HR.  Two of the runs had a goof ½ mile climb in the them and the other two were basically flat runs.  Temps were on the cool side at 32F – 36F but felt good as I was able to avoid the rain.  So a good start to a slow build up to get some running base miles in before I get back to riding in December.

Relive 'Wildlife Run'



Weekly Diet Notes;
Nothing to note with regards to diet except that it has not been the best with travel and my new grandson being born this past week.  Life has been hectic and thus felt it best not to stress on diet with other stressors going on.  I am hoping over the next week to get back on track and then once in CA for work to keep things about where they need to be.  I did do all my runs this week fasted, well mostly fasted as I did have some coffee with heavy cream.  While none of the runs were very long I still had no issues running fasted.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
- Monday: Rest Day
- Tuesday:  Run – 7.6 Miles
- Wednesday: Run -  5.66 Miles
- Thursday:  Run - 7.24 Miles
- Friday: Run - 5.7 Miles
- Saturday:  Rest Day
- Sunday:  Rest Day

Totals:
- Running Miles –  26.2 Miles
- Riding Miles – 0 Miles
- Total Time –  3:39 Hours

The Week Ahead:
As I mentioned before the plan for this week was about 20 miles and I ended up 6 miles more than that.  For the coming week I am looking to get 30 miles and keep runs at a max of 7-10  miles and then have a shorter run between them and again only run 4 days o as to have 2-3 consecutive days rest for my foot.  Depending on how my foot feels, and the weather, I may run a local trail or if things are not right I will run it the following week before I leave.

As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #22





No comments:

Post a Comment