Monday, December 23, 2019

Training Overview #28 – A Look Back to Look Forward - Week of Dec 16 thru 22, 2019

Running Thoughts:
Since this past Friday started 12 days of rest with no running, or riding, as I wanted to give my foot adequate rest I figured it would be a good time to look back on the year.  As part of that I looked even further back over the mileage I have tracked since 2009, when I was running very little, to see what I had done.  Those numbers follow:

2009:
- Riding Miles – 0 (0 Hrs)
- Running Miles –178.2 (24:24:27)
- Total –178.2 Miles (24:24:27 Hrs)

2010:
- Riding Miles – 0 (0 Hrs)
- Running Miles – 19.1 (2:39:06)
- Total – 19.1 Miles (2:39:06 Hrs)



2011:                                                                     2012:
- Riding Miles – 0 (0 Hrs)                                     - Riding Miles – 0 (0 Hrs)
- Running Miles – 46.8 (6:17:55 Hrs)                   - Running Miles – 137.8 (19:37:52 Hrs)
- Total – 46.8 Miles (6:17:55 Hrs)                       - Total – 137.8 Miles (19:37:52 Hrs) 

2013:                                                                    2014
- Riding Miles – 0 (0 Hrs)                                     - Riding Miles – 0 (0 Hrs)
- Running Miles – 398.5 (54:35:12 Hrs)               - Running Miles – 613.3 (84:19:46 Hrs)
- Total – 398.5 Miles (54:35:12 Hrs)                   - Total – 613.3 Miles (84:19:46 Hrs)

2015                                                                      2016
- Riding Miles – 92.0 (4:30:07 Hrs)                      - Riding Miles – 156.4 (8:27:01 Hrs)
- Running Miles – 1596.4 (233:28:48 Hrs)           - Running Miles – 1781.9 (266:19:47 Hrs)
- Total – 1688.4 Miles (237:58:55 Hrs)               Total – 1938.3 Miles (274:46:48 Hrs)

2017                                                                       2018
- Riding Miles – 313.2 (17:38:42 Hrs)                   - Riding Miles – 2776.4 (173:52:18 Hrs)
- Running Miles – 1731.6 (263:32:11 Hrs)            - Running Miles – 1127.4 (177:50:41 Hrs)
- Total – 2044.8 (281:10:53 Hrs)                          Total – 2044.8 (281:10:53 Hrs) 

2019
- Riding Miles – 3514.7 (205:58:56 Hrs)
- Running Miles – 1501.3 (232:38:36 Hrs)
- Total – 5016 Miles (438:37:32 Hrs)

In looking over the miles I’m not sure why the drop from 2009 to 2010 but from 2010 on till 2014 was basically low mileage with most runs in the 3-4 mile range.  In late 2014 I decide to shoot for a Boston BQ in 2015 and to run Boston in 2016 and thus my mileage went up considerably.  Then in 2016 after a not so great run in Boston I decided to do my first 50 miler in March of 2017 and mileage stayed about the same for 2016 and 2017 before a drop in 2018 due to extended time off for Plantar Fasciitis.  In looking back now and knowing my foot issue started creeping up on me in 2016 and showed itself greatly after a very muddy Land Between the Lakes 50 miler in 2017 – and then trying to work through it in 2018 I was forced to take some extended rest.

At the time I did not consider mileage to be the cause of my foot issues since I had been careful, or thought I was, in upping my mileage slowly.  At the time I was riding very little and when I did ride it was mostly indoors on bad weather days so did not have the benefit of the cross training I am using now.  However, as I look back I see that my running mileage from 2013 – 2018 was not as gradual an increase as I needed or thought at: 398, 613, 1596, 1782, 1732 & 1127.  I did not even realize that from 2014 to 2015 I increased my yearly mileage 983 miles – an increase of 2.6 times my previously mileage and to look past this as at least exacerbating my foot issues would be incorrect.

While I had been conscience of being careful on how I increased my daily and even  weekly run mileage I neglected to consider that I had not looked at the bigger picture.  The issue was I went from running shorter runs and less often to longer more often.  I covered the length and weekly totals but neglected to see that in the past I was not as consistent so when I became more consistent my yearly mileage took a great swing upwards – one I may not have been ready for.  And even my riding mileage was low as up till 2017 I still only rode to cover not running some days.  The warning here – Do Not lose sight of the big picture and realize that while consistency is a good thing be careful with it as you could overdo the mileage as I did. Since in my past, when I was much faster and fitter, I ran much more in a year thus when my mileage was on track for 1500+ miles it did not ring any warning bells as this was low as compared to my past but high if compared to my present.  The answer is do not just look at your daily, weekly and monthly miles but step back and look at the path and trajectory you are on.  The other issue is I got so focused on the road ahead that I did not pay attention to the road I was on at present.  There is an element where I do not think the mileage was the only cause but the extra mileage made some mechanical and other issues come to the fore and show up in my feet.

After all the issues in 2018 I took an extended break and took to riding – the silver lining in all of this.  Since I could not run I decided to get back into riding and realized how much I enjoyed it and this led to looking into gravel racing and then to the races I have on tap for 2020.  Also, the extra riding reminded me of what I have shared before, that with regards to aerobic work time is time and riding afforded me more time working out with less stress on my feet.  Thus while time training in 20126 and 2017 were in the 280 hour range in 2018 even though I ran about 600+ miles less I worked out 70 hours more.  And even this year where my miles went up a little under 400 I ran/rode for about 160 hours more than 2017 when I had higher running miles.

This is an example of where looking at time is so important.  If for 2018 and 2019 I looked just at mileage I may see a drop but in truth I trained even more than I had in the past, even in 2017 when I had a drop in running miles.  Even doing 11 100+ mile rides in 2019 – a first in many, many years.

Sorry if that was all a ramble but for me it was a revelation I had not paid attention to up till now.  With still dealing with a sore right foot where I still have issues I need to decide the road forward for next year.  Initially I wanted to up my running miles to try and get back to 1700 miles but also to ride more and this may lead to not dealing with my foot.  While I am looking forward to riding a number of long gravel races I still want to run some Ultras but need to get my foot issues sorted out to do so.  To do this I think I need to be intentional with my miles and work for the same mileage as this year but more evenly run over the year.  To do this I want to get in more riding miles to thus get in the endurance work I need with less impact on my foot while I work to get my foot/ankle back to where it needs to be.  The R2R2R that I did this year did show that while maybe not optimal for a quick Ultra the riding and running mix can work so I want to work on refining the mix.

If you use Strava or some other tracking program make sure to review what you have done and where you have been and not be solely focused on where you are as they are more inter-related than you may think.  Take this information and use it to your advantage; See where you failed, where you succeeded and the results of both.  Use this info to formulate a plan for the next year.  Take it from me even after 47+ years of running you can still make errors and maybe it is that the time I have been at it that adds to the blind spots.  By this I mean the more one does something the more they may be less tuned to the changes they need to make as if you are like me we often tend to remember too much of what we once “COULD DO” instead of what we now “SHOULD DO”.

This is my last training post or the year but when I post the next one in the new year I hope to have the skeleton of a plan for 2020.  One that is not written in stone, as things change, but one that is written so I can look back at the thought put into what was planned.  When you write up a plan make sure to puts notes down as to why you are doing what you are doing so that if you change things you can relate the why to the how.

More to come

Week’s Running Overview:
Needing to return the bike I borrowed at the end of last week I only ran this week.  I started out with a goal of 30 miles but as I looked at my miles, I had an OCD moment.  Knowing I had decided to rest till the January 1st once I did my last run this week, scheduled for Thursday, I realized I was going to be short of 1500 miles for the year.  Once I realized that my OCD took over but fortunately while I probably should not have given in I did realize I did not want a run longer that 8-10 miles so to do so I had two days I ran two runs each in.  I then ran 8.5 on Thursday to close out the week, and actually ran a good paced tempo run, and got my 1500 miles.

The pace on the runs this week were relaxed and focused on just being more fluid as I have found that when I try and keep my bad foot flexible it feels better.  However, when I am not paying attention often I stiffen up and this seems to create the criteria for soreness.  It does take about a half mile or so to get things warmed up but hey being 60 this is sort of expected and once warmed up there are periods of soreness but it comes and goes and is far from as bad as it was some time ago.

One of the reasons for the rest is to see if it will further help my foot.  It still is sore when I run but does feel better than it has so figured more rest would help and with having not been at home for much in the last 3+ months due to travel it would be good to just set the running shoes and bike aside and start up fresh in the new year.  Interestingly, lately my foot often feels worse at work and when sitting than it does running once I get warmed up.  I need to do more work on my ankle mobility and strengthening so that will be part of my plan for the rest days.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Monday: Run –  8.5 Miles
Tuesday:  Run -   6.5 Miles
Wednesday: Run #1 – 5.6 Miles
Wednesday: Run #2 -  5.15 Miles
Thursday:  Run#1 – 6.1 Miles
Thursday:  Run#2 – 8.5 Miles
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday:  Rest Day
Sunday:  Rest Day

Totals:
Running Miles –  40.2  Miles
Riding Miles – 0 Miles
Total Time –5:36 Hours

Weekly Diet Notes;
Nothing to report this week except that I need to get back on the wagon as have sort of been on the edge so need to get back to what works best but more importantly make me feel better.

Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
As mentioned above I am taking off from running and riding till the 1st.  This will be hard as not only do I like to run and ride the weather is supposed to be nice and start turning once I get back at it.  But that is the way it is.  Also, I want to set time aside each day to focus on strengthening, mobility and flexibility work for my feet and up the chain.  Nothing drastic but just trying to be consistent and use the time not running and riding for other things.

Have a great end of the year.

As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #27





No comments:

Post a Comment