Monday, March 2, 2020

Training Overview #37 – Some Weeks Just Suck - Week of Feb 24 thru March 1, 2020

Running Thoughts:  
Late with this as been sick and just not looking at the computer and did not even do this past week's Weekly RunDown as was really out of it.

Last week I wrote on flexibility and this week made me practice what I preached.  In doing this it makes you realize that no matter how well things go often you have a week that just sucks – this was one of those weeks.  What you have to do with weeks like this is to find the “silver lining”, the good in them.  That is hard to do when you are flat on your back and you would rather be doing something else – anything else than be sick.

What is the silver lining in this case – well rest.  One thing I have found is that as much as I hate getting sick it is my bodies way of saying you need rest – and you are going to get it.  Rest is al I have been doing and truth is even my foot has gotten a rest so when things start back up will be interesting to see how it feels.  If I had take Tuesday easier would this have gone to a full blown cold – maybe not, but that is only a guess so since I have no idea I have to just go with the flow and get some rest.

Now the hard part is to be slow coming back and taking it easy so as not to relapse or just extend out the recovery longer than need be. I need to be aware of how I am feeling so as to make sure things go as planned and work to get back on track for Boston and the other races coming up.

Bottom line in all this is realize not every week can be the best and when you have a week that sucks look for the good in it.  Even if the good is to realize your own frailty and the need to be more aware of your body and how it works and reacts to outside stimuli.  If that is all you get out of it and lose a week or two of training, but also gain a week or two of rest, there can be good that comes out of it.

Week’s Training Overview:
Plan was a rest day on Monday as it was my wedding anniversary and then hit it for the rest of the week.  So Monday went as planned and then things turned south on Tuesday evening.  Tuesday AM I did a good 48 mile warmup before a Zwift Crit there I rode pretty close to my best watts and w/Kg.  But there is where things stopped going right.  I was coughing and my sinuses were draining but I chalked it up to the change in weather and my awful sinuses so I kept my plans for an evening ride so get 90+ for the day.  For the evening ride I did an easy warmup on the London course then rode a couple more laps easy and finished up with a hard lap.  While I was tired, and should have been having 90+ for the day, and my sinuses were still draining I still thought I was just dealing with my usual sinus issue when the weather changes. 

That all changed about an hour after the ride as I started get achy and getting shills and before I knew it I was in bed and shaking.  What I thought was my sinuses ended up being actually getting the cold I have avoided from almost a year.  I was at least hoping that I could kick it quickly but the next morning told another story.  As story that had me flat on my back for pretty much all of 3 days and even now a week later I am still working though things but at the least it seems to be heading in the right direction. Not sure when the next run will be as I need to make sure this does not drop down on my lungs so need to be careful.

As far as riding my bike does not get to CA till about Friday this week so hope at best I get to ride Saturday but it may be Tuesday or so.  I want to get a ride in before the Solvang Century on March 14th.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
- Monday: Rest Day – Wedding Anniversary
- Tuesday: Ride #1 – 48.03 Warm-up  MilesZwift Crit & Cool Down  12.35 Miles -   &  Total 60.38 Miles  - 
- Tuesday: Ride #2 – 6.83 Warm-up  MilesZwift Group Ride 24.25 Miles -  Total  31.08  Miles – Ttl for Day 91.46 Miles
- Wednesday: Rest Day - Sick
- Thursday: Rest Day - Sick
- Friday: Rest Day - Sick
- Saturday:  Rest Day - Sick
- Sunday:  Rest Day - Sick

Totals:
- Running Miles – 0  Miles.
- Riding Miles – 91.46 Miles. 4:17
- Total Miles – 91.46  Miles
- Total Time – 4:17 Hours

Weekly Diet Notes:
Nothing for this week as with the cold I had I barely at anything for 3-4 days – not good but the way it was.  Hope is that now I am back on the road to try and get back on track diet wise.

Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
After a week off due to a cold I will start up running this week but not sure when as have to make sure, as I have stated already, that the cold does not end up on my chest and become a case of bronchitis.  So no really plans for mileage but just hoping to get back to things to prepare for the following week and then the 100 miler in Solvang on March 14.


Last Week's Overview #36


Want to try PR Lotion, use this code for your first order: TryNextGen20 
(Good till end of February 2020)



No comments:

Post a Comment