Monday, March 9, 2020

Training Overview #38 – Your Body Will Make You Rest if it Has To - Week of March 2 thru 8, 2020

Running Thoughts:  
Not a lot to write on this week as most of it was just resting and trying to get rid of a cold.  The issue with me is that I can often get the actual cold done with in 3-5 days but then can take 2-3 weeks to fully get rid of the residual cold after affects which for me is usually sinus related.  There often is little you can do to avoid a cold as they are all around us but more often than not, at least with me, the cold takes hold because I let my resistance get down.  So this adds an element to rest that we often ignore or just do not think about.  That is when surrounded by any number of people with colds, or even just having to travel on planes, you may need to rest a little more to make sure you keep your resistance at its highest.  In my case I rode hard when I had an inkling that a cold was on the horizon and paid the price.

The other thing to think of is if we do not get enough rest our bodies will do what is needed to get rest.  I know for me it is what usually happens as I think I have factored in rest but my body says – “No You Did Not Get Enough.”  And then I get sick and it is usually pretty bad for a few days and in those days I have no choice but to rest. I told you the body will get rest one way or the other.  Quite often for me when I get sick it is such that I do not need to decide if I should workout or not as I just cannot.

Will getting enough rest make it certain you will avoid colds – no.  But it can for sure help.  There will be times where just one workout can lower your resistance such that being around a cold leaves you more susceptible. But I have found that the more rested I am the better one hard work does not leave me open to getting sick because my immune system is not compromised.  In a time where everyone is so concerned about getting this virus or that one and working to make sure everything is clean people often neglect one of the most important things to work for – being well rested.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
After being sick for about a week and then a few days to try and get back to some semblance of recovery this week was simply a week to get back into the swing of things.  I had hoped, as my Posterior Tibial Tendon (PTT) issues were feeling better, that maybe the down time had healed up my PTT – no such luck.  The first run back revealed this pretty clearly.  The good thing is that Saturday’s run felt much better in that while the PTT was sore it was way better than Friday.

As far as riding the goal was to do an easy 50 mile ride on the river trail since it is flat and that is what I did.  It was basically a head wind out to the coast and a tailwind coning back.  Kept pace controlled going out to the coast and HR went up a little when I paced some with one other rider but only for a few miles and then settled back down.  Coming back worked to keep HR down till a rider came by going pretty quickly so drafted off of him for some miles, hard to pass up a draft especially when the person is big enough for me to draft off of, and HR went up but felt pretty good.  After that slowed down some and finished up the ride.  As you can see below I did not take in much calories wise for this ride but also did not feel I need any extra and felt great, other than a slight cough, after the ride.
30 Year Old Refurbished Medici

Another good part of the ride this week was I rode my refurbished Medici for the first time in quite some time.  Actually when I ride it in the Solvang Century it will be the same bike I rode Solvang on some 30 years ago.  For sure it is heavier than my Cannondale and Orbea and does not shift as well but it is a comfortable bike.  It also often gets quite a few comments due to its vintage but then again its rider is “vintage” as well

- Monday: Rest – Getting over cold
- Tuesday: Rest - Getting over cold
- Wednesday: Rest - Getting over cold
- Thursday: Rest - Getting over cold
- Friday: Run – 4.08 Miles
- Saturday:  Ride – 50.23 Miles
- Sunday:  Run – 5.57 Miles

Totals:
- Running Miles – 9.6  Miles.  1:27
- Riding Miles – 50.23 Miles. 2:35
- Total Miles – 59.83  Miles
- Total Time – 4:02  Hours

Weekly Diet Notes;
After being sick for a week and a half and of that did not eat much for about a week just due to how I felt this week was sort of a get back on track week and doing this while working out of town.

I did do one longish ride this week and while not fasted did not pre-load as I often do for faster longer rides.  Also as you will see below I did not take in a lot of calories but felt fine during the ride as again while there were a couple times my HR got up higher than I wanted I still pretty much road easy the whole way so calories were not. Big deal.

For the coming week will continue to try to get my eating back on track and get ready for a century I am riding this coming Saturday.  Will have to see how I fell as to how fast I will ride as still getting over my cold.  I will pack to be ready for a hard ride and then if like this past Saturday it ends up being an easy ride will just have left over nutrition.

Pre-Ride:

- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Butter, Collagen, Heavy Cream, Chocolate Primal Fuel (1/2 Scoop) (497/9.5) & 1 Scoop SFuels-Life
(50/0) – Total (547/9.5)
- 1 Altred (Beetroot Extract)


- Also use the AMPHuman PR Lotion

Ride Fueling;

- I took 1 24oz bottle with 2 scoops of SFuels Train and 1 24oz bottle of SFuels Race
- Only drank 12oz of the SFuels Train bottle
- Totals: 25 Calories -   Carbs- 1 g

Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
Just a week of working to get back in the flow and dealing with the residual affects of my cold which for me is lots of sinus drainage and thus coughing.  For the coming week the goal is to get back into running slowly and run no longer that 8 miles but probably keep around 5-6 for each run.  As far as riding the big ride of the week will be the Solvang Century on Saturday and as far as other rides will ride at least once with the length depending on when I get off of work and how much daylight I have.

Bottom line this week is not so much about gaining fitness as in regaining the level I was at.  Also, as my Posterior Tibial Tendon (PTT) is still around so need to keep it manageable.  Good part is that while it was fairly sore on the first run back Friday it did feel much better on Sunday’s run.


Last Week's Overview #37





No comments:

Post a Comment