Monday, April 6, 2020

Training Overview #42 – Finally Time to Review - Week of March 30 thru April 5, 2020

Training Thoughts:
With my last races for the first half of the year being postponed it is time to review my training.  Up until today I have been moving forward with the assumption that The “45” gravel race near London Ky and The Dirty Kanza 200 gravel race would still be on – while being pretty certain they would be moved.  As of Sunday (4/5/20) my calendar is now cleared of any scheduled races until July and then The Kentucky Gravel Championships (KGC) and Steamboat Springs Gravel race in August.  I will not be able to do the “45” which was moved to late August as I will be in CA for work and then Dirty Kanza moved to September and I will not be able to do it this year as I have Boston at that same time.  I will end up using my entry for the “45” to do the KGC and Dirty Kanza allowed people to do the race in September, defer till 2021 or get a refund – I took the deferment option so will be in Emporia KS June 5th of next year.

With regards to training I need to step back and rethink the year ahead. With no races till June at the earliest but probably not till July and August I cannot keep up the level of training I have been looking to do  for races in May and expect to be in the best shape possible come July/August.  I have spoken of this before in that while it is nice to have a race to aim for to gain motivation in training I tend to just like training and often have to reign it in to aim for a specific event.  This all relates to this time in that I could just train as I have been doing and get in good miles and some hard rides but the issue is I will at some time have to slow down and that would probably end up being about the time I should be in my best shape but would probably instead be on the downside of being in optimal shape.

I am not sure yet how I will change my training but I do need to take the next couple weeks to work back from races I have coming - KGC, Steamboat Springs & Boston – and see what will work best.  For now I am going to cut my riding mileage back but will still try and get in a long ride of 60-100 miles at least once or twice a month just as I like to do them.  I am not alone in this as if you listen to many podcasts and read blogs everyone is in the same boat due to racing having been canceled.  The consensus is many are using this time as a sort of mini-off season for maybe another 4 weeks then start to work back into things to be ready when the racing is started up again.

I have never been the best at writing down what I want to do in training as I tend to go with the flow and by what I feel I need at any certain time.  That said I would suggest you sit down and look ahead, the best you can, and work backward to form some sort of plan – I know I am going to work on doing this.  Take this time to step back and look at how your training has gone in the past and then look forward as to what you need to work on for the future and work up a plan.

Maybe, if you can afford it, this is a time to look to a coach who can often take more unbiased look at your past training, injuries and results and then work to formulate a plan for you.  A coach can also be good for motivation and accountability if that is an issue you struggle with.

Bottom line, as I have said in past posts, is do not waste this time.  While there is a lot uncertainty in these times you can use this extra time, usually consumed with racing and training for those races, to do a reboot and rest.  This is a great time to try a new path or maybe you stay on the same path but look at it a little differently.  Use this time to your benefit and plan ahead.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
A good week of riding and got in the runs I planned.   With two harder rides on Zwift I was a little tired I did the last stage of the Tour of Watopia easy and worked to stay at under 130HR and pretty much did that.  I then rode a long ride (106) outside, yes outside in the fresh air, that felt pretty good and at a good pace for all the elevation and wind.  Ended the week a little tired but as I shared above, and below, will be cutting back some which will allow for rest.

As far as running I kept things the same as last week with 2 easy 5 mile runs.  My Posterior Tibial Tendon  (PTT) issue was a little sore but was better than it had been and of more significance it did not feel sore for more than a few hours after the run.  Again, one issue I have with my PTT is that it is aggravated by my Accessory Navicular issue that the PTT runs across and the extra navicular bone is right where the shoe collar is so it creates a level of discomfort.  I think minimizing running has been working to correct my PTT issue but I need to be more diligent with the mobility and other strengthening exercises




Weeks Workouts:
- Monday: Ride – 7.56 Miles Warmup  &  33.66 Miles Stage 1 Tour of Watopia & Cooldown - Total 41.22 Miles
- Tuesday: Ride – 10.68 Miles Warmup & 27.1 Miles Stage 2 Tour of Watopia - Total 37.78 Miles
- Wednesday: Run –  5.33 Miles
- Thursday: Ride – 25.6 Miles
- Friday: Run -  5.21 Miles
- Saturday: Ride – 105.9 Miles
- Sunday:  Rest

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 10.5 Miles
- Running Time -  1:31 Hours
- Riding Miles – 209.9 Miles
- Riding Time -  10.48 Hours
- Total Miles – 220.4  Miles
- Total Time –  12:19 Hours

March Totals
- Running Miles – 40.3 Miles
- Running Time – 6:00 Hours
- Riding Miles – 529.3 Miles
- Riding Time – 26:23 Hours
- Total Miles – 569.6  Miles
- Total Time –  32:23 Hours

Diet Notes:
Not much exciting this week as I work to just try and limit my carb intake to what works best with where I am training wise.  All of my rides and runs during the week were done fasted and even with a couple Zwift rides at race pace things went well.  For this weeks  long ride I pre-ride fueled, as below, with my Modified Bullet Proof Coffee and some oatmeal.  I had planned on taking some of the SFuels Race+ formula as I like it, with it having a few more carbs, for the last part of the ride.  However as it was cold out early I vacillated back and forth if I was going to ride on Zwift or outside and once decided to ride outside, the right choice, I forgot to pick up the packets of SFuels Race+.  As I usually carry some extra carbs with me in case I overdo it and need some I ended up using a Gel in the last hour just to fuel up some. The 100+ ride went well with averaging 19 miles an hour and 132HR I was obviously burning fat as while tired felt fine.

I do these long rides with the fueling above to prepare my body to better burn fat but when racing do use more carbs and do so now and then on training rides just to be ready to use it.  As I mentioned last week in my post when you have metabolic flexibility it does not time you to one fuel source and that has great advantages.

Saturday’s Ride Fueling
Pre-Ride Fueling:

- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Butter, Collagen, Heavy Cream, Chocolate Primal Fuel (1 Scoop) (609.3/15) & 1 Scoop SFuels-Life
(50/0) – Total (659.3/15)
- Vespa – 18/5
- ½ Cup of Oatmeal and Raisins ( 133.6/28.6 )
- 1 Altred (Beetroot Extract)


- Also use the AMPHuman PR Lotion
- Total:  810.9 Cals & 48.6 gr Carbs

Ride Fueling;

- 4 24oz bottle with 1 scoops of SFuels Train (100/2 per bottle)
- 1 Altred at 2 hours and 4 hours
- 2  S!Caps at 2 hours and 4 Hours
- 1 SFuels Life Bar (180/15)
- 1 Maurten (100/25)
- Totals: 680 Calories - Carbs- 48 g

The Week Ahead:
Right as I had written this section lo and behold I get an email from DK200 that they have postponed till Sept 10-13 and since that is Boston Marathon weekend I cannot make it but they did offer a deferment till 2021 (June 5th) so took that option – thus DK200 2021 it is.

I need to review my training now since I have no races till at least June or July and no gravel till KGC and Steamboat Springs in August.  That all said I am going to cut back some so that I take a mini off season now and then build back up.  If I do not do this I open up for the chance of being burned out by August. Thus, for this week will do 3 25-30 milers on Zwift, might do one Zwift Crit as they are hard but fun, and then see how things go for the weekend.  I will still look to do longer rides on the weekend as I want to get to be where 60-100 are just regular rides which really helps mentally.  As far as running will stay pretty much where I was this week with two runs but up them to 6 miles each as long as my foot feels OK.


Last Week's Overview #41


If you want to try AmpHuman use code 



No comments:

Post a Comment