Monday, April 27, 2020

Training Overview #45 – Life and It’s Effect on Plans: Change Happens - Week of April 20 thru 26, 2020

Training Thoughts: 
Well things went a little south this week, not in training – even though it does affect it, but in life as I was furloughed at work for a month.  The good news it was not a lay-off as some were I work were let go but it does leave some uncertainty about the future with regards to employment.  That said it is time to look at how I can use the next 4 weeks to the fullest and not overdo it.  Not sure how you go about this but as I like to train I have to make a conscious effort when faced with so much time to not over do it. Of course I have things to do around the house which will take time and effort but I can now do some riding outdoors, as long as the weather holds out, which due to work has not happened too much this year.

One danger, at least for me, when I have time to spare, is that I will just go and go till my body says stop in an emphatic way.  One way to help mitigate overdoing it is to plan for what is to be done, even if it is only a rough idea/plan.  While I could plan out my days very specifically there needs to be some flexibility since weather and life changes and thus so can plans but with a good overall plan it is easier to move the pieces around.  Do I write this plan down, probably should but do not as usually can do pretty good just keeping the rough plan in my head.  That said I think over the next month I will use the time to write out things a little more than I have usually done.

My plan for May before all the craziness started was to work up to being ready for the Dirty Kanza 200 at the end of May then take a rest for the month of June.  Since I have most of May off I am going to keep things the same since it works out in the long run for what I have planned for August – Kentucky Gravel Championships and Steamboat Springs Gravel Race – and then Boston in September – provided it still goes off since I have my doubts.  Thus, I am going to work at getting some longer riding miles in the first two – three weeks of the month then rest the fourth week with a very long ride tentatively planned for the end of May.

As far as running I will stay at two runs a week initially but then add in some extra shorter runs on days I ride early so as to up my running miles.  I am hoping, based on how my R2R2R training went, that my riding will help take care of the endurance side of things and by doing some longer runs – but keeping over all miles lower – I can get my legs ready for a good marathon and continue to heal my Posterior Tibial Tendon issues.  Also, over the next month I want to run some trails out at my local park (Pulaski Cty Park) to work my PTT some but will need to be careful to not overdue it.  The one place that can often make my PTT most sore is downhill running.  Not so much gradual downhills but steeper ones as it is much more jarring.

Once I get through this month I should know a little more as in truth there is still some uncertainty with work now that I know I am on what I figure is the “expendable” list.  Just praying that when May 25 rolls around things go back to some sort of normal but should it not then I will step back and once again re-evaluate things. For me while there is uncertainty and the natural inclination is to have concern I do know that all that is taking place is in God’s plan and I just need to go with that plan.  If there is a time for change coming up then so be it.  I do not like change any more than the next person, well I am sure some do, but often change is a good thing and we need a nudge to make that change.

This change can be in life in general but it can be in your training.  How often do we get in a rut and train as has been comfortable?  We may improve and even be moving forward but this progress may not be the best it can be.  The interesting part is we can make changes without some life event or outside influence and it these intentional changes that can often be the best and are the lest stressful.  Do not be afraid of change but also do not make changes for the sake of making them.  This is best accomplished by taking time to step back and look at your life and training and make an honest assessment then change as needed.  May also be that you will want an outside opinion on if changes need to be made – this can be done by a coach or close friend that knows you.  Make the changes you need and keep things as they are that need to be kept the same but always be looking to move forward.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
As planned this week was a rest week – well sort of as I rested by not running or riding on the weekend.  Also, only had one harder tempo ride during the week and no races so that added a little rest.  Still got in 162 miles riding and one outdoor road/gravel ride but that outdoor ride included a collision with a dog with about 2 miles to go.  Fortunately notice the dog was going to cut me off and slowed down enough to not have major spill and just some scratches, bruising and a sore shoulder.  Monday was a 2 ride day with a flat easy Zwift ride in the AM and then a similar length road/gravel ride in the afternoon.  Wednesday was the usual warm-up ride then a tempo mid-week ride with the BMTR group.  Also did a BMTR meetup ride on Zwift on Thursday along with an easy pre-ride.

With regards to running I am still at 2 runs a week to minimize the pounding on my right foot.  Both runs this week were 9 milers with Tuesday being an easy/windy run.  Felt some soreness in my right foot but better than it has been, especially since it was a longer run.  Then on Friday I did what was basically a marathon tempo run and just got under 8 minutes a mile and that includes a pretty slow, due the climb, first mile.  Run felt good but HR a little higher than planned but felt good.  Encouraging to have these runs feel pretty good – I do look forward to the day that my Posterior Tibial Tendon is pain free but at least it seems to be progressing a positive manner.

Even though my mileage was lower this week, riding wise, it was still a good week with my riding for the first 5 days of the week actually a little more than normal.  The weekend off was good as it gave me some rest but also allowed me to sleep in some.  I guess with being off for the next month due to a furlough I can sleep in a little more before getting in my weekly workouts.




Weeks Workouts
Monday: Ride #1 – 35.21 Miles  & Ride #2- 38.79 Miles - Total 74 Miles
Tuesday: Run – 9.26 Miles
Wednesday: Ride – 11.61  Miles Warmup  & BMTR Mid-Week Ride  31.30 Miles   – Total 42.91
Thursday: Ride – 19.03 Miles Warmup  &  26.26 Miles  -  45.29 Total
Friday: Run – 9.15 Miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday:  Rest

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 18.4 Miles
- Running Time – 2:32 Hours
- Riding Miles – 162.2 Miles
- Riding Time – 7:45 Hours
- Total Miles – 180.6 Miles
- Total Time – 10:17 Hours

Diet Notes:
All my runs and rides this week were done fasted with no more than a cup of coffee with some heavy cream before the ride and/or run.    Sometimes for the longer rides I do use some SFuels Race+ but not this week and the rides went well.  These fasted runs do at least two things for me.  One is to get my body used to using fat for fuel even on harder than normal efforts as well as another benefit being that mentally it helps me to know what I can do on lower than normal carb intake.

Once done with my ride I have my usual Modified Butter Coffee (Coffee, Heavy Cream, Raw Egg, Tblsp Butter, Tblsp Coconut Oil, Collagen, Primal Fuel (1 Scoop) and SFuels Life (1 Scoop)).  Lunch tends to be a salad with greens, chicken, strawberries, blueberries, sunflower seeds, gorgonzola and a dressing of Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar.  Diner each day varies but does often have potatoes as it is one of the carbs I do eat as they work well for me.

The Week Ahead:
Not sure on my miles for the week but as I am out of work due to a furlough for the next month my miles will probably be up some for riding and some for running.  The plan this week riding is to get in about 220-250 miles with a longer ride on Saturday, plan is for a Century to start off the month.  The rest of the week will be a mix of Zwift rides and hopefully some rides outdoors.  How many races I will do will be no more than two but we shall see.

For running I the plan is get in about 20 miles for the week on two run.  The plan for one of the runs is a half-marathon then the other a 7 miler.  I want to see how the foot feels on a longer run as so far running up to 9 miles it has done pretty well.  Depending on how things go may work next week to go to three runs but not much in the way of extra miles.

Going to do some planning this week for what is ahead as I have no races till August, my July running race will not happen as my work schedule changed, with a gravel race so need to look over what is ahead.  I may do a “virtual” 5K for June but it will be more of a tempo run for me. I do have an idea I may do a very long ride the end of May since if things had not gone like they have I would have been riding the DK200 the end of May.  Then will rest some in June to then ramp back up in July for August races.


Last Week's Overview #44

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.




If you want to try AmpHuman use code 



No comments:

Post a Comment