Monday, July 6, 2020

Training Overview #55 – Why the Higher Volume - Week of June 9 thru July 5, 2020

Training Thoughts:
As I shared last week my base mileage phase of training will come to an end on August 2nd which works out well with the Kentucky Gravel Championships being a week later on August 8th.  Due to the KGC on the 8th I will actually be doing a mini-taper for the last week or two of the Base Phase and first week of the Hill Phase – so my higher mileage will be cut back the week of July 20 – 26th as the start of this taper.  I want to make sure to be well rested for KGC, not just so as to do well but also so as to feel good doing this race as it is a hard and demanding course.

As far as mileage/time I like to work it up as my base phase ends so, for me I get the maximum benefit and strength from the increased volume.  Also, as I go into the next phase there is a level of rest that takes place mileage/time wise as I change focus and since the mileage/time naturally decreases.  Thus, for this base phase, extended as it is due to lack of racing, my goal is to be at 350 miles a week riding and 25-30 running for the last 4 weeks – and have two more to go.  This will push me and while my legs will be tired I will be building a great base to work from.  Also, as I just said, when going to the next phase I will be reducing mileage as I add in hill work and a little more specific work to get ready for my 5K in November.  This said I do need to make sure I monitor how I am doing as my tendency is to be so focused on the plan and doing what I have laid out that I often lose focus on how things are as a whole.

Also, I have found over the years as long as I watch my pace and effort my body reacts to higher mileage in a positive manner as I gain strength.  The added mileage/time helps me to be able to sustain harder efforts longer as I move to the next phases of training.  Let me add here that my 350/25 miles of riding/running is what seems to be good for me right now but you may work better at much less.  Even so I also do not keep this mileage/time up for the whole base phase as I add in rest weeks after 3-5 weeks of higher mileage.  For this current cycle timing is working out such that after two more weeks of higher volume I will have been at 5 weeks of higher volume things are just working out so that my reduction fits my usual rest plan as well as my phase plans for November.

As I alluded to above, you have to find the level that works for you due to fitness and time.  I add time as often what can be done is as much about the effort as it does life.  For example when working from home I have more flexibility but when I have to travel for work and am away for a month time is harder to find as I do not have my trainer and thus harder to squeeze in riding miles.  Since I have to be careful about running injuries I cannot just add a lot of running miles so I just go with the lower mileage/time that life allows.

Also, let me add that while my volume of training is lower than when younger I have adjusted it to where I am now.  This is a good reason to keep a running log/journal to try and find your own sweet spot.  A coach can help here but at the end of the day it still comes down to you as only you know how you react to the training you are doing.  A couch can just help you formulate a plan from how your body is acting to a specific stressor or set of stressors.  But, as I have said before while a coach can help it is not a necessity – just be very cognizant of your training and how you react to it.  Do not think mileage/time is the end all be all but it is important – you just need to find what works best for you.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Another good week of mileage ending with a 110 mile ride in the heat.  The plan had been to get 300+ for the week along with 25 miles running and that came to be.  Most all the rides and runs were at a comfortable, we as comfortable as the distance and heat allows, pace and HR.  Thus another great week of base mileage in the books.

All of my runs this week were done in the afternoon after a long ride in the AM.  Not sure what was harder – running after a ride in the AM or the heat and humidity – I am going with the heat and humidity.  Not sure if a 10 mile run in 90F and humidity was a good idea but is what was before me.  The run, including the 5 miler on Thursday, were to say the least slogs but in a good way as they did not result in any foot issues and worked my legs when the conditions were not that great.  Thus I got in my desired 25 miles in 3 days and I will likely stay at this volume for another couple weeks at least.

This week I rode at least 60 miles in 4 of the 5 days and on the one day I did not ride that far I did 45 miles.  All of the rides except the Wednesday BMTR Mid-Week ride were mostly all at a HR of 125 or less.  The BMTR ride was a little higher as usual and with going over the same climb that I got dropped on during the previous weeks Fondo I was happy with the ride.  Saturday’s ride was a long one and with the temps starting at 65F and ending at 95F it was a warm one.  I worked to make sure my HR stayed lower – 120 or less – but it did go up a few times on some hills with the high of 154 being when I got my PR on the last climb of the day.  Was pretty happy with getting a PR on the climb at close to 100 miles and was not really going all out.  Also, knowing I was working to stay at a controlled pace and with the heat was glad to only finish 4 minutes slower than I rode this same ride 2 months ago.

Again, a great week of workouts even if I am tired after all the miles – but then again that is the goal right now.

Saturday’s Long Ride 


- Monday AM: Ride – 67.41Miles
- Monday PM: Run – 10.11 Miles
- Tuesday: Ride – 45.16 Miles
- Wednesday AM: - Ride #1 @ 33.85 Miles  &  Ride #2  @ 7.23 Miles  & Ride #3 @ 32.24 Miles   -   Total of 73.3 Miles for the Morning
- Wednesday PM: Run – 10.20 Miles
- Thursday AM: Ride – 64.08 Miles
- Thursday PM: Run – 5.27 Miles
- Friday: Rest Day
- Saturday: Ride – 110.22 Miles
- Sunday:  Rest Day

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 25.5 Miles
- Running Time – 3:46 Hours
- Riding Miles – 360.2 Miles
- Riding Time – 17:43  Hours
- Total Miles – 385.7  Miles
- Total Time – 21:29 Hours

June Monthly Totals
- Running Miles – 49.1 Miles
- Running Time – 7:04:10 Hours
- Riding Miles – 1134.6 Miles
- Riding Time – 55:25:07 Hours
- Total Miles 1183.7 Miles
- Total Time – 62:29:17 Hours

Diet Notes:
See below for Weekly ride fueling and then the fueling for the Saturday Century

Weekly Fueling:
Monday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 48oz of plain water
Monday PM - Had lunch about 4 hours before the run
Tuesday AM: Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 48oz of plain water
Wednesday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream W/ 1 Scoop SFuels Life  and 1 SFuels Bar– During Ride - 24oz of Water with SFuels Train & 1 24oz plain water
Wednesday PM Run - Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run
Thursday AM: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of Water and SFuels Train
Thursday PM Run: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on Run


Saturday’s Ride Fueling
Pre-Ride Fueling:

- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Butter, Collagen, Heavy Cream, Chocolate Primal Fuel (1 Scoop) & 1 Scoop SFuels-Life

- ½ Cup Oatmeal W/Raisins
-1ea Vespa
-1ea Altred
- Also use the AmpHuman PR Lotion
- Total:  787.3 Cals & 42.4 gr Carbs

Ride Fueling;

- 3ea of 24oz bottle with 2 scoops of SFuels Train each
- 1ea of 24oz of SFuels Race+
- 1ea 24oz plan water
- 1ea Vespa at 2.5 hours
- 3 Pcs Dried Mango
- 2ea S!Caps at 2.5 Hours
-1ea Altred at 2.5 Hours
- Totals:  519.25 Calories  – 36.5 gr Carbs

- Totals for Pre and During Ride: 1306.55 Calories – 78.9 gr Carbs

The Week Ahead:
Not much to add here but will work to get in pretty much the same mileage as this past week - 300-350 riding and 20-25 running.  As far as how I get the riding miles in I think it will come at a more even load as not planning on a 100 miler this coming weekend.  Also, may do the running miles in 4 runs rather than 3.  It is a hard balance as 3 runs gives me more rest days from running but 4 days keeps the daily mileage lower.  Bottom line is while I want a couple more weeks of higher mileage I also want to make sure I keep an eye on things and cut back if need be so need to remain aware of how my body is reacting the training.

Last Week's Overview #54

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.







No comments:

Post a Comment