Monday, July 20, 2020

Training Overview #57 – Preparing to Move to the Next Phase - Week of July 13 thru July 19, 2020

Training Thoughts: 
As I approach moving to the second phase, Hill Work, in my Lydiard plan for a 5K in November I have 2 weeks to go and will be cutting back some on riding over the next two weeks, basically starting Friday of this week. While a taper after the base phase is not normal I am doing an impromptu taper due to the Kentucky Gravel Championships (KGC) on August 8th and want to be rested for it as it is a hard race.  Also, as I have been doing some higher mileage I also want to back off some and transition to a little more running and sill use this short taper to make that transition.

As I move to the Hill Phase I will be running a little more and maybe even more important will want to do less double days with riding in the morning and running in the afternoon so as to make sure my legs stay fresher.  The reason for needing fresher legs is not just to feel better but to make sure they are fresh for the hill work and other leg strengthening work and tired legs can hinder that.  I am also going to work on some hill repeats on my bike to use that as well to strengthen my legs for future phases of training.

I have to say I am happy with the extra mileage in both running and riding lately as I have been able to up my mileage and stay healthy.  Even so I think 25 miles or so running is about all I think I can handle right now with the riding mileage I have been doing as riding and running all in one day does put a lot of stress on the legs and increase the tiredness.  The other thing I have noticed is that with the higher mileage and riding a regular century is making longer rides much easier and shorter ones seem even easier.  I am thinking that a 5K will seem like hardly any time out there at all.

Once I start the Hill Phase it will get interesting for me as I will need to be more intentional with what I do on a given day so that I get the correct amount of rest and the specific workouts needed.  I cannot just ride hard whenever I feel like it as it will in the end hinder the benefits to be gained during running, and maybe some riding, hill work as well as some fartlek and out-and-back runs.  It has been many years since I purposefully did hill work and am looking forward to this next phase – not so much the work as it can be painful but look forward to the goal of having a plan and working to stay with it.

Stay tuned as over the next week I will be lining out what the work out plan is for the Hill Phase.  I have some unknowns as still not sure when I will be heading back to CA for work.  When there the dynamics change due to my work schedule so much harder to get in riding miles but can get in more running but have to be careful then.  I figure I will just plan as if I am heading back there for the month of September.  I hope to share the plan either in next week’s post or the week after

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Going into this week I knew there would be some tiredness in my legs as this was the 5th week with pretty good mileage and 4th week over 300 riding.  Over the last 4 weeks I ended up with 1430 miles riding and 100 running for my biggest total in many years. I am about to head into a taper for the Kentucky Gravel Championship as well as getting ready to move into the Hill Training phase to prepare for my 5K in November.

This week I rode no less than a 100K each of 4 days and did my 15th century on the weekend.  The rides this week were at a good paces but for sure missing some snap as I found out on Wednesday’s group ride on Zwift as got dropped while sending a message as was not paying attention then with a climb up the Volcano knew it was not my day.  That said still averaged 3 w/kg for the ride so still a good one.  Monday and Tuesday were broken up into 2 rides each with a warmup and then a ride on the vTdF courses.  I intended to ride at a relaxed pace for both rides but on Monday for sure rode faster than initially planned.  On Tuesday I did a little better holding back as there was a bigger climb so just settled in to be comfortable.  On Saturday I did a 110 miles on the course I ride the most around here with 5000+ ft of climbing and most importantly I know where most the dogs are – I say most as some new ones today.  As I knew the temps were going to get hot and with the humidity the heat index was going to get up close to or over 100F I rode at a comfortable pace early and on the climbs, I did not want to over-heat and find out I had plenty of miles still to go.  Due to this once I got to the last climb I pushed it some and got a PR by a couple seconds then also pushed the last 13 miles or so which are mostly flat or downhill slightly.  Ended up close to my best time so a good ride for the conditions.

With regards to running again I ran in the afternoon after the long ride in the AM for the first 4 days of the week.  Monday I felt a little tired but good and as the temps were only, I say only since it has been so hot, 85F I ran what felt comfortable and ended up averaging a good pace for 10 miles.  The rest of the week were just easy runs to manage the heat and humidity and got through them OK.  For sure it is a test to run in the afternoon after a long morning ride and the heat and humidity does not help at all.  Best of all I had no foot pain and it is showing that for now this mileage is at a good level.  As I head into a taper it will be mostly for the riding side as will work to keep the running close to where I am now and use the riding for my long days.

Saturday’s Ride 


- Monday AM: Ride #1- 20.53 Miles   &  46.15 Miles  -   Ttl of 66.7 Miles
- Monday PM: Run – 10.21 Miles
- Tuesday: Ride #1 42.03 Miles  & 29.58 Miles  -  Ttl of 71.6 Miles
- Tuesday: Run – 5.34  Miles
- Wednesday AM: - Ride #1 40.08  Miles  & 30.16 Miles  - Ttl of  70.24 Miles
- Wednesday PM: Run – 6.64 Miles
- Thursday AM: Ride – 67.08  Miles
- Thursday PM: Run – 4.07 Miles
- Friday: Rest Day
- Saturday: Ride – 110.1 Miles
- Sunday:  Rest Day

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 26.2 Miles
- Running Time – 3:46 Hours
- Riding Miles – 385.7 Miles
- Riding Time – 18:20  Hours
- Total Miles –  411.9 Miles
- Total Time – 22:06 Hours

Diet/Fueling Notes:
See below for Weekly ride fueling and then the fueling for the Saturday ride which this week was actually shorter than my weekly rides – but outside.  Most of my rides this week were pretty much fasted and went well

Weekly Fueling:
Monday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of plain water and 24oz w/1 scoop of SFuels Train
Monday PM Run – Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on run
Tuesday AM: Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 24oz of plain water and 24 oz water w/1 scoop SFuels Train
Tuesday PM Run: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on run
Wednesday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream W/ 1 Scoop SFuels Life During Ride - 24oz of Water with SFuels Train & 1 24oz plain water & a Maurten Gel
Wednesday PM Run - Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on run
Thursday AM: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 48oz of Water
Thursday PM Run: Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on run

Saturday’s Ride Fueling
Pre-Ride Fueling:

- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Butter, Collagen, Heavy Cream, Chocolate Primal Fuel (1 Scoop) (609.3/15) & 1 Scoop SFuels-Life
(50/0) – Total (659.3/15)
- ½ Cup Oatmeal W/TBLSP of Maple Syrup (104/22.6)
-1ea Vespa (18/5)
-1ea Altred
- Also use  AMPHuman PR Lotion
- Total:  781.3 Cals &  gr 42.6 Carbs

Ride Fueling;

- 3ea of 24oz bottle with 2 scoops of SFuels Train each (120/2 per bottle – Ttl 360/6)
- 1ea of 24oz of SFuels Race+ (100/15)
- 1 ea of 24oz plain water
- 4ea Rapid Rehydr8 – 2 ea @ 2.5 Hours and 4 Hours
- 1 Vespa at 2.5 hours (18/5)
- 1 Altred at 2.5 hours
- 1 Banana at 4 Hours (105/27)
- Totals:  583 Calories  – 53 gr Carbs
- Totals for Pre and During Ride: 1364.3 Calories – 95.6  gr Carbs

The Week Ahead:
This coming week I have some appointments that may, or may not, affect my schedule but if they do not the goal is about 250-270 or so riding and 25 miles running.  I am going to take the weekend off and if all goes well my take off from Friday to get an extended rest.  Tuesday, if my schedule works out I will be doing the 8 mile Barnsburg Time Trial over in Somerset so will ride less in the AM and may not run that day.  Other than that once I get to Thursday/Friday I will basically be starting a bike taper for KGC but need to figure out what I want to do as well as working on my transition to the Hill Training part of my Lydiard schedule.

Last Week's Overview #56

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.




Use the following code for 25% off, one time use per customer, 
click on graphic above: AmpHuman25





No comments:

Post a Comment