Monday, August 3, 2020

Training Overview #59 – Here Comes the Hill Work- Week of July 27 thru August 2, 2020

Training Thoughts:
Before I get into where I will be going training wise I want to share a little on the last month.  My riding mileage was well above anything I have done in quite some time, see below for the totals, and at one point in the month was over 1500 miles for the previous 30 days.  While I know I used to do much more, but that was many-many years ago, this was still a good amount especially since I also ran 120 miles.  Best of all I came out of this with no injuries and while tired still feeling good.  We shall see how this translates with regards to my base but I figure it can do nothing but help it.  I am more convinced than ever that the mix of riding and running for me, and would be for many, is a great way to get fit and stay healthy.  As I allude to some below I still need to work out some specifics with regards to hard days and alternating riding and running so that I get the best benefit from both.  The danger of thinking of the two disciplines separately is that you can fall into, and I have, the trap of doing too many hard days by not seeing the interaction of the two disciplines.  So that needs to be worked out but so far so good.

As I move into the Hill Phase of my preparation for a 5K in November I have laid out the next 4 weeks.  Usually I would not have a race like the Kentucky Gravel Championships tucked in the mix but that is just how it works out so will work it in.  I guess in some way it will just be my long ride for the day with lots of hills as well.  Below I will put up the rough draft of the workouts for the next 4 weeks and the mileage will for sure be less than the last 5-6 weeks.  Also, as I head to the end of the month I am not sure if I have to travel yet for work as it is planned but with al that is going on not sure it will happen.

Basically I will have 2 hardish runs a week with one being a hill workout of some sort and the other being a Fartlek workout.  With regards to riding most will be easy with the one sort of tempo ride being the BMTR Mid-Week ride I do on Wednesday’s.  It can be a hard ride depending on the course but usually not all out.  The rest of the rides and runs are to be easy and just to keep the legs moving.

The idea with the hill work is not so much like doing intervals uphill but more like plyometrics with a focus on form and strength.  Basic idea for this round will be to do a 3 mile warmup then a number of repeats of bounding and strides uphill with the focus on lifting the knees and staying relaxed.  This will be followed by a 3 mile cool down.

For the Fartlek, Swedish for s"peed play", the idea is to run a regular route but factor in some speed section so that they are a mix of long and short efforts where some may come close to anaerobic but more for the shorter ones and others closer to tempo pace on longer efforts.  The idea here is to simply change it up and have fun while getting in a less stressful form of interval – as intervals are to come later.

In looking at my schedule my riding is more of a supplement to the running in that it will be adding aerobic work that will be less stress on my foot.  I think in the future I may look at alternating hill reps on the bike with running but not sure I will do it this time as need to look at that more. In this cycle I do have one long ride scheduled as it will complete my 16th 100 miler this year and will have to see how next month goes since I go to CA for work what I do will depend on the craziness going on there but we shall see.  I know my mid-week mileage will drip if I am in CA as I do not have a trainer so will need to focus on longer weekend rides.

The following is a screen shot of the plan I have for the next 4 weeks and once done I will update the plan with what I actually did to see how well it worked out.


Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
This week was the start of a taper in that I did less riding miles but in that still had some hard workouts. Riding wise I simply rode less miles on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday than I had in the past weeks with Wednesday still being about a 70 mile morning with the usual BMTR Mid-Week ride.  Monday was an easy 50 miler and then Tuesday was an easy warmup then a good paced climb in a Zwift race that took in a good climb in a 20 mile ride.  Then on Thursday did an easy AM ride then did some intervals Thursday PM.  Sunday afternoon just went out for an easy ride to do a few local gravel roads and then finished on a gravel climb that Strava shows having section at between 16-21% grade.  Ended up with the KOM but actually stopped short of the top so can do better.

Running - I ran a 10+ miler on Tuesday afternoon and as it was cooler, yes 85F and cloudy  this time of year is cooler, started out easy/relaxed then kept a pretty good pace.  Ended up averaging 8:05/mile but last 7+ miles were all sub 8:00/mile and felt pretty good.  The rest of the runs were slower as it was warm but did go a little faster on Thursday second run in the afternoon.

I had not done this in some time but Thursdays workouts ended up being a ride in the morning followed by a run and then repeated that in the afternoon.  The afternoon workout felt good as did an interval workout on the bike by doing 6 X 4min @ 105% of FTP (used my Zwift Power est of 297 as a baseline so aimed for 304 watts but need to do a real FTP test some day) with 2 minutes rest while working to stay at 80-100 RPM, I was closer to the 80.  After the ride whet out and did a 3.2 mile run relaxed and averaged 8:14/mile and felt good.

All in all a good week and still got some rest.

Sunday's Ride


- Monday AM: Ride – 50.21 Miles 
- Tuesday AM: Ride #1 20.11 Miles   & Ride #2 20.25  Miles  - Ttl of 40.36
- Tuesday PM: Run - 10.24 Miles
- Wednesday AM: - Ride #1 37.11 Miles  & Ride #2 32.03 Miles  - Ttl of  69.14 Miles
- Wednesday PM: Run – 7.8 Miles 
- Thursday AM: Ride – 32.35  Miles
- Thursday AM: Run -  5.6  Miles
- Thursday PM: Ride – 19.21  Miles
- Thursday PM: Run – 3.21 Miles
- Friday: Rest Day
- Saturday: Rest Day
- Sunday:  Ride – 24.28 Miles

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 26.8 Miles
- Running Time – 3:47 Hours
- Riding Miles – 235.5 Miles
- Riding Time – 11:05 Hours
- Total Miles – 262.3  Miles
- Total Time – 14:53 Hours

July Totals
- Running Miles – 120.7 Miles
- Running Time – 17:36:07 Hours
- Riding Miles – 1445.8 Miles
- Riding Time – 68:38:01  Hours
- Total Miles – 1566.5 Miles
- Total Time – 86:14:08 Hours

Diet Notes:
See below for Weekly ride fueling - as an aside if you want to try any of the SFuels products you can use this link or use the code TonyK5.  I am have worked with SFuels for about 2 years and the products are great and to be up front am also an affiliate so not only do you get a discount I get a small amount which at the end of the day will just go back into running and riding supplies.

Weekly Fueling:
Monday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride – 2 -24oz of plain water  - After ride had SFuels Revival
Tuesday: AM: Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride – 1 - 24oz of plain water - After ride had SFuels Revival
Tuesday: PM Run: Lunch 4 hours before run and nothing on run
Wednesday: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream W/ 1 Scoop SFuels Life During Ride - 24oz of Water with SFuels Train & 1 24oz plain water - After ride had SFuels Revival
Wednesday: PM Run - Had Lunch about 4 hours before run and nothing on run
Thursday: AM Ride: Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride - 48oz of Water
Thursday AM Run: Ran right after ride - After run had SFuels Revival
Thursday: PM Ride – Ate lunch about 5 ours before ride – did have a piece of dried mango – 1ea 24 oz of water during ride
Thursday: PM Run – Right after ride and nothing on run
Sunday Ride: After lunch just before easy ride and just a little water on ride

The Week Ahead:
Will for sure be cutting miles riding this week as will probably end up at about 200 miles but 60+ of that will come from the Kentucky Gravel Championships on Saturday.  With regards to running I will be adding in some hill work as I start the next phase in my progression towards a 5K in November but will be cutting miles some to make sure legs are fresh for Saturdays gravel rave.  This week is a little strange as usually in the Hill Phase I would not be racing but that is just how things have worked out.  Once through this week will have one more lower week on riding miles and then get into the flow of the phases I am going to get ready for the 5K

Last Week's Overview #58

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.



Receive 5% off with code TONYK5

Use the following code for 25% off, one time use per customer, 
click on graphic above: AmpHuman25
(Good til Jan 1, 2021)




No comments:

Post a Comment