Monday, August 31, 2020

Training Overview #62 – On to the Next Phase - Week of August 24 thru 30, 2020

Training Thoughts:
As I have ended the 4 week Hill Phase, well it ended up being 3 weeks due to calling it the last week due to what ended up being allergies and just being tired, I now head into the Anaerobic Phase of the Lydiard Pyramid.  This is for sure a work in progress as while I can plan out what I would like to do I still need to work out how it all fits together.  That includes seeing how to use cycling in all the phases of the plan, without doing too much.  One issue I tend to have is I like a certain amount of time on the bike and running and will need to adjust that in the last weeks so as to be well rested for the 5K in November.  On longer rides/races I can often get by with strength if I am tired but for a 5k there is little time for that.

This week I add in some form of intervals and will use fartlek again for the other speedier sessions.  In my plan, which you can see below, I am using the bike for a couple interval sessions and will see how that works out.  Then for the Fartlek I will focus on a little more speed to get ready for the anaerobic part of racing a 5K.   The part I need to figure out and have not yet is the length of the intervals since I want one day to be longer and the other shorter so will adjust based on what I can get done. The goal, as this is for a 5K, is to keep the total of the intervals to be around 5K so on the bike will work to keep the total to around 15K.

One added part to this is that for the month of September I will be in So Cal for work and thus my schedule is a little tighter and less flexible than when working from home.  Near where I am staying there is a dirt track that I can use for the intervals as it helps to be able to different length efforts with less interruption by lights and such.

The goal of the Anaerobic Phase, in preparing for a goal race, is to get the body ready to experience the oxygen deprivation so it is ready in a race and the 5K is just such a race.  For longer races intervals are also important but as things like marathons and centuries when riding you tend to experience the oxygen deprivation less frequently – well that is in general as I have done quite a few bike races that when a break goes it is pretty anaerobic at that time.  I have found in the past I can get some good speed with tempo runs but have found that there is for sure a need for anaerobic work to be ready for the efforts required for shorter races and for the ebb and flow in bike racing.

My goal in setting out a general pyramid plan is to take what I am doing now and seeing how it works and then revising the pyramid for my next goal race – whatever that may be.



Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
This was a good week of riding and running as got some miles in and did not overdo it - so rested up some.  After the previous week of being tired and dealing with allergies I felt it was good just to dial it back a notch this week as I get ready to head off for travel for work.  I had planned on about 130 miles of riding but ended up with 180+.  Probably should have stayed closer to the 130 but I had not looked at my schedule and for some reason thought I was aiming for 160 so when I got 180 figured I was close.  I had more as I rode more controlled rides so got less caught up in racing or riding hard.  One good part about Zwift is that there are a number of rides that are run at a set W/Kg and that helps to keep things under control – which is what I did this week.

As far as running I ran all my runs at a controlled and relaxed pace with them feeling good.  I made sure to avoid running hard so as to not overdo it.  Even my run on Thursday which was right after a 35 mile run felt pretty good since considering it was right after a ride and I rarely do that.  Another good thing is that I have not had any pain in my foot lately even though the ankle area was a little achy and have to keep an eye on it.  I had planned on only running 24 miles this week but got a little more in and did one extra run in CA once I got there.

All-in-all a good week of running and riding as I move to a new phase.

- Monday AM: Ride #1 7.23 Miles  & Ride #2 33.24 Miles   - Ttl 40.47 Miles
- Monday PM: Run  6.29 Miles
- Tuesday AM: Ride #1 11.27 Miles   & Ride #2 30.15 Miles  -  Ttl 41.42 Miles
- Tuesday PM Run: 5.63 Miles
- Wednesday AM: Ride #1 32.10 Miles   & Ride #2 32.22 Miles  -  Ttl 64.32 Miles
- Wednesday PM Run  6.35 Miles
- Thursday AM: Ride #1  4.12 Miles  & Ride #2 31.22  - Ttl 35.34 Miles
- Thursday AM Run – Right after Ride – 5.15 Miles
- Friday: Rest and Travel Day
- Saturday: PM Run – 4.51 Miles
- Sunday:  AM Run – 4.47 Miles

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 32.4 Miles
- Running Time – 4:37 Hours
- Riding Miles – 181.5 Miles
- Riding Time – 7:53 Hours
- Total Miles – 213.9 Miles
- Total Time – 12:30 Hours

Saturday Run

Diet Notes:
See below for Weekly ride fueling

Weekly Fueling – As usually my morning workouts are fasted with just water since I called off the previous Saturdays ride I had some water bottles with SFuels already so figured I would use them up this week.:
  • Monday: AM Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride – 1 -24oz of Water with SFuels Train  - After ride had SFuels Revival
  • Monday: PM Run – About 4 hours after lunch and no fueling on the run
  • Tuesday: AM Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride – 1 -24oz of Water with SFuels Train  - After ride had SFuels Revival
  • Tuesday: PM Run – About 4 hours after lunch and no fueling on the run
  • Wednesday: AM Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride – 1 -24oz of Water with SFuels Train  - After ride had SFuels Revival
  • Wednesday: PM Run – About 4 hours after lunch and no fueling on the run
  • Thursday: AM Pre Ride – Cup of Coffee with Heavy Cream and 1 Scoop SFuels Life – During Ride – 1 -24oz of Water with SFuels Train
  • Thursday: AM Run – Ran right after AM ride – after run had SFuels Revival
  • Saturday PM Run – Just what I had had for lunch 5 hours before
  • Sunday AM Run – Fasted after cup of coffee
The Week Ahead:
As I have mentioned I head of this coming week to So Cal for work so training may take some adjustments till I figure out my schedule and also how much light I have after work to ride.  I have a goal of doing a century this weekend on Saturday and also, if all goes well, will do another one the following Monday as it is Labor Day.  It is supposed to be pretty hot this weekend so will have to see how things go.  Also, as I introduce some intervals and faster Fartlek workouts in I need to make sure I do not overdo it and get enough sleep as many of my runs are early before work so I can ride in the afternoon as cannot ride in the AM as I do at home on the trainer.

Last Week's Overview #61

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.



Receive 5% off with code TONYK5

Use the following code for 25% off, one time use per customer, 
click on graphic above: AmpHuman25
(Good til Jan 1, 2021)




No comments:

Post a Comment