Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Meet Kentucky & Masters Runner - Shirley Haslar

Wanting to let others know what a great running community we have here in Kentucky, and the surrounding states, I will be interviewing a numbers of runners over the coming year.  Since our great state has runners of every ability I am oping the interviews will reflect that community.

The following are questions I asked Shirley Haslar  and I hope this will let you know a little about Shirley and see that it is never too late to start running.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

I’m 69, will be 70 in April, originally from Bonnieville, KY about 30 minutes south of Elizabethtown.  I’ve lived in Etown for the last 12 years.  Went to Munfordville HS, Munfordville, KY and attended Elizabethtown Nursing School for 1 ½ years.  I then went to work for the Federal Government were I worked for 25 years before retiring.  After retiring from there I wasn’t ready to retire completely so went and worked for Kay Jewelers for another 10 years before retiring from there to watch 2 of my 4 grandsons while there parents worked.  I’m married to Richard Haslar and have two sons Sean Young who lives in Bowling Green and who has two of my grandsons, Isaac (15) and Logan (13) and another son Chris Young who lives in Etown with my other two grandsons, Zack (15) and Gavan (12)


What is your profession?

Retired Federal Government Employee


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 

Had been taking Zumba classes, weight classes, etc., walking and jogging since 2010 when I decided to start a healthier life style in eating and exercise and lost 100 lbs.  So I wanted to add a new dimension to my exercises and started adding some running in January 2017


How long have you been running?

I started running more then just a jog on the treadmill in Jan or Feb 2017.  In March 2017 I entered a 5K race.  Kept running and entering a 5K race every now and then when they popped up in Etown.  Really got more serious about it when a couple of friends of mine who ran with the Running Soles group on Tuesday and Thursday nights kept encouraging me to join the group and I did in August 2017.  Never gave much thoughts to doing more then a 5K  but with the encouragement from this group and my husband I entered a ½ marathon in Oct (Etown Fall Classic put on by Will Rivera) and then did another one in November  in Louisville.  Way beyond what I had every imagine accomplishing.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years? 

About the only thing I really did was play some softball in my 30’s 


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?

No


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
  • 5K – 29:35
  • 10K – 1:13:42
  • Half Marathon – 2:28:12

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?

The first Half Marathon which was the Etown Fall Classic in Oct.  As I said I only started running races in Mar 2017 and they were 5Ks so never in my wildest imagination had I ever thought about doing any longer races much less completing a Half Marathon.  But the encouragement of the people in the Running Soles group and my husband, as I said, gave me the courage to try.  Can’t forget the feeling of coming across that line and finishing way under what I imagined and actually finished first in my age group.  Then I entered my second one in November in Louisville and actually beat my first time by 4 minutes. Then there was a 10K I entered that ended up being a trail run which I did not realize at the time I signed up (never intended to do a trail, lol) and once again came in first in my age group.  I’ve done 14 – 5K’s this year since started in Mar along with the one 10K and 2 – Half Marathons and all been memorable in their own way since has been my first year of racing.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?

I would probably now say Half Marathon cause it pushes me beyond my comfort zone and let’s me realize what I am really capable of if I put my mind to it and as long as my body stays healthy.  Plus, it’s definitely a strategy race, instead of just sprinting to the end like a 5K is you have to pace yourself to make sure you make it to the end.


Do you have any long-range plans?

Plan on doing some more 5Ks, plus have signed up already for 15K hot chocolate in Nashville, the Triple Crown and the Half Marathon in Derby.  Some friends and I are thinking about really pushing the envelope and signing up for a marathon toward the end of the year in Indianapolis.


What do you like best about living and running in KY?

I don’t have to travel very far to find great races of every length.  Plus living in Etown there is a great running group as I have mentioned, Running Soles run by Will Rivera, that helps you with your training with group runs on Tues and Thurs, plus gives you tips and motivation that pushes you to be the best you can be.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?

Probably having the confidence that I can actually do these longer runs.


What do you see as a trend in running?

That people of all ages are now getting our there and running.  In our group and races I’ve been in I see kids out there running with their parents and I see older adults (such as myself) trying to live a healthier lifestyle and starting to participate in running.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

It’s never too late.  Look at me, I started a couple months before I turned 69 and as long as God gives me health and keeps my body strong I plan on continuing and expanding.  With the right encouragement, which I get from my husband and my friends I’ve made in the running group, you can accomplish way beyond what you imagined.  As my husband says to me before each race “just run your race”.  So as long as God gives me the health and strong body I plan on continuing and expanding my running into 2018 and beyond.  My Road ID says “Christ strengthen me” cause I know it’s thru him I can continue.


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?

You can find me on facebook


Any closing comments?

Just get up and start.  You’ll be surprised what you can accomplish


No comments:

Post a Comment