Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky Runner - Daniel Roberts

It has been great getting to know runners around Kentucky and the surrounding area.  I hope you have benefited from these interviews, I have.  Today, I interview Daniel Roberts who is a runner living not far from where I reside but one that I have not yet met - but hope to soon.  Let me add, as Daniel does not mention it, he was the 2000 Kentucky AA State Cross Country Champion.   Also, as you will see, he holds a yearly running camp in our area and I look forward to helping out at this years camp as it is great to see runners from the area put back into their communities.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc….. 

I am 35 years old and currently reside in Somerset, KY.  I was born and raised in Monticello, KY, then graduated from Western KY University in 2005 with a degree in Accounting.  I am married to the love of my life, Mary Beth, and we have a rambunctious and inquisitive two-year-old son, Benjamin, and a sweet, beautiful five-month old daughter, Anna.  The last seven years, my family and I were privileged to serve with Vapor Ministries, an international ministry reaching into three of the poorest countries in the world.  We are very excited to be back in Central KY where we hope to continue using the unique gifts God has blessed us with to help others.


What is your profession?

I am a commercial lender for First Southern National Bank in Somerset, KY.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?

I started running because of basketball.  When I was an eighth grader, I was faster in conditioning than all the high school varsity basketball players, but I didn’t start formally running until I was a sophomore.  My father asked me to compete in a local 5-mile road race.  I did it because it seemed like a challenge.  After finishing in the top 10, two people approached me to discuss running.  One was a high school cross-country coach from a neighboring county.  He encouraged me to begin running.  The other person was a local pharmacist who had been an outstanding runner in his day, winning the state mile championship in the 70’s and going on to run for the University of Kentucky.  With both of their encouragement, I began running on my own.  Two weeks later I went to my first cross-country meet as an unattached runner (my high school didn’t have a team).  After finishing in the top 10 at this meet I knew I should focus on running.  I quit basketball within the next two weeks and devoted myself to running for my final three years of high school.  Because my high school didn’t have a team I had to lean on many great folks to help me understand how to train.  A local pharmacist and a local physical therapist helped me develop a training plan.  I would meet with the pharmacist once a week at his pharmacy to get the game plan for the next week, and then I’d go execute.  If I was lucky he’d join me for one run a week.  He also helped me get in some bigger races to be around strong competition.  My parents drove me to every meet in high school and were my biggest fans.  Other high schools would let me warm up and cool down as well as hang out at meets.  It took a village!



How long have you been running?

I started running just before my 16th birthday, so later this year will make 20 years of running for me.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

Growing up I played baseball and basketball, but I’m a competition nut.  If there’s a game to win, I’m in.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?

I ran for Wayne County High School from 1999 – 2001 and then for Western Kentucky University from 2001 to 2005.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.

  • 5K – 15:10
  • 8K Cross-Country – 24:50
  • 10k – 31:49
  • 3k Steeplechase – 9:25
  • Half Marathon – 1:12:30


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?

My junior year at WKU, our cross country team was ranked second in the Sun Belt Conference going into the conference championship.  We had battled some ups and downs all year with injuries and went into the conference meet curiously hopeful.  We hosted the conference meet in Bowling Green, KY in early November and the day was unseasonably warm.  At race time temperatures were over 70 degrees.  We knew that each runner would need an outstanding race for our team to get first or second.  During the race a couple of the top-ranked runners in the conference dropped out from heat fatigue.  I was still feeling good and kept moving up through the pack.  I didn’t realize it but with one mile to go I was in second place, about 100 yards behind first.  I was able to reel in first place on the last major hill with about a quarter mile to go and took the win.  As I turned around I began seeing all my teammates coming in and all looked strong.  We won the conference championship by three points!


What is your favorite distance to run and race?

I love all distances from 5K to half marathon. 


Do you have any long-range plans?

I would love to be part of making the Lake Cumberland area of KY the epicenter of great distance athletes in the eastern US.  I’ve started a distance running camp, called KY Elite Running Camp with the desire to help be a part of this dream.  2018 will be our second year for the camp.  2017 camp attendees included two state champions and one national champion.  We are on our way!!! - (Note: Check out video on the KY Elite FB page on this years camp which is July 12-14, 2018 - Camp Sign up here)


What do you like best about living and running in KY?

I love the diverse seasons, yet overall mild climate.  I love the terrain.  We are truly blessed to run in one of the most beautiful places on earth.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?

That my body just won’t do what it used to!!!!  Ha.  Really, though I struggle with the same things most of us probably struggle with:  getting up super early to train, training in really cold or really hot weather, and balancing my love for running with family, work, serving my church family, and other things I enjoy doing.


What do you see as a trend in running?

I am seeing more and more people running their first ever 5K which is awesome.  That’s how we all got started!  I’m also seeing the veteran runners move more to longer distances and specifically to the trails. 

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Every day we have breath in our lungs is a blessing from God.  Therefore, every day we get to run is truly a blessing.  Let’s enjoy every minute of the action.
A few of my favorite quotes:

  • “If you want to run fast, you have to run fast.” – Steve Daffron (the pharmacist who coached me in high school)
  • “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift” – Steve Prefontaine
  • “Just Do It” –Nike tag line


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?

KY Elite Running can be found on Facebook and soon, Instagram.

Camp Sign-up Page


Any closing comments?

One of my greatest running joys happened in 2009.  I worked with an international non-profit called Vapor Ministries for 7 years.  One of our ministry centers is in Ngong, Kenya where we own what we think is the highest altitude track in the country of Kenya.  Needless to say, we have many world elites who use our facility to train, including 3 medalists from the last Summer Olympics.  In 2009 I was staying in Ngong for an extended stay and got hooked up with Paul Tergat’s training group.  Paul is a former world record holder in the marathon and his training group produces many of the greats today.  On one particular day I was running with the group and Paul Tergat joined us.  He made it a point to run with me the majority of the run and it was amazing to see people from small villages that we ran by come out to see one of their heroes on a training run.  They would come to the side of the road and yell “M’zee Paul!”, which would translate something like “Sir Paul”.  It’s a term of honor.  On that day, I was a guest of a great and it was a true joy running with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment