Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner - Dudley Walden

Not sure about everyone else but it has been fun and informative to ask questions of local runners and learn about their running journey.  This interview is with Kentucky and Masters runner, as well as veteran, Dudley Walden.  Dudley was  wounded in Iraq and was told he would never run  again.  In seeing Dudley, when I get to his neck of the woods, I can attest to the fact that the diagnosis that he should never run again was faulty.  I hope you enjoy and are inspired by Dudley’s story.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

I’m from Murfreesboro, TN and I’m about to turn 52 years old.  Judy and I have been married 25 years and have 3 boys, ages 23, 18 and 11.  I graduated from Middle Tennessee State University.  I became a Christian in 1998, and it radically changed my life from that point on.


What is your profession?

I retired from the Army in 2010.  I was an Infantryman and spent 24 years in the Army, retiring as a First Sergeant.  I’m a military human resources civilian now and work at Human Resources Command running Army Promotion and Selection Boards.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 

I just ran in the Army as part of normal PT.  I ran a few races (3 marathons and a few halves and 10Ks) in the late 90s.  I was pretty seriously wounded in Iraq in 2003 which broke my femur and ruptured my quadriceps.  I had numerous surgeries and spent about 18 months in physical therapy.  I was told I shouldn’t ever try to run again, so for about a decade I did just that.  Strangely when I started back running, I realized my knee responded by getting stronger.  I’ve been able to handle 50 mile weeks with no problem, but I had to work up to it slowly.


How long have you been running?

My wife became interested in running about 3 years ago so we started running together.  She was the inspiration for me to start running again. It is a great, healthy activity that we enjoy doing together.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

I played soccer in high school.  Other than that I just participated recreationally in different sports in college or the army.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?

No


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 

I’ll just share what I have from the last couple years.  I won’t see any of my times from 20 years ago again.

  • 5K - 24:55
  • 10K -  52:56
  • Half Marathon - 1:57:39
  • Marathon - 4:22:39


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?

The 2017 KY Derby Marathon and not in a good way.  I had a goal, but totally bonked during the race.  Normally, I just run, enjoy the race, and I’m satisfied with whatever time I run.  Training really hard for so long and then doing poorly was disappointing.  It taught me to respect the distance and stick to the goal pace.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?

The half marathon and of course:  The E'town Half Marathon hosted by Running Soles!


Do you have any long-range plans?

We are running the LBL 60K, which will be my first ultra.  I’m really into just overall fitness and long term quality of life.  Running is only a part of trying to live healthy.


What do you like best about living and running in KY?

The people.  We’ve lived several places while in the army.  Kentuckians are some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met and I love our running community.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?

Hills!  I’m a terrible hill runner and was even when I was younger.


What do you see as a trend in running?

I see a lot people being “running tourists”; building a vacation around a race.  I think it is a great way to see a new area, meet different people and still do something healthy.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

Even though I usually have a goal time for a race, I try to concentrate on the process and not the goal.  The process is a healthy, active lifestyle.  If I do that, I’m successful whether I meet a specific time or not.  Celebrate achieving a goal, but enjoy God giving you the ability to run.


Any closing comments?

Thanks for teaching me to always carry an “emergency gel” on long runs.  I read that in one of your blog posts and have done it since then.  It has bailed me out a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment