Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Meet Kentucky Runner - Mary Rose

2017 Backyard Classic - Photo by Anne Goodman
In an effort to let others know what a great running community we have here in Kentucky, and the
surrounding states, here is another interview from a runner you may not have heard of but one who has inspired many by her love for running and having a great attitude.

The following are some questions I asked Mary Rose and I hope this will let you know a little bit more about her and show the great group of runners we have here in the Bluegrass State.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..

I am 34 years old, born in Indianapolis, Indiana and graduated from the University of Evansville majoring in Creative Writing, Sociology and Religion.  I was a group home manager for individuals with physical and mental disabilities for five years before I got married and had my first child.  Our family moved to Louisville in 2015 when I was 9 months pregnant with the twins, then settled in Elizabethtown in 2016.

2016 Urban Bourbon - Photo by: Urban Bourbon

What is your profession?

I am a stay at home mother to four children ages 6, 4, 2, and 2. They keep me slightly busy


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?

I attempted the Couch to 5K program before and after each of my pregnancies.  First, I did it in order to lose weight to help get pregnant, then as a way to try to get back in shape afterwards.  I completed several 5K and 7Ks during that time but never got to the point of running consistently and being able to run the whole thing. When I got back to it after the birth of the twins, I had accountability this time from afar with my friend Holly in Evansville, locally the Louisville Moms Run This Town group, and then the Running Soles group when I moved.  I was able to stick with it and turn it into something I was passionate about for the first time in my life. 


How long have you been running?

January 2016 was when I started running consistently, two months after my twins were born. So right at two years. 


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

Freeman Lake Kids Race  - Photo by Jackie Edwards

Powerlifting and soccer in high school.  I was pretty active all through school and enjoyed playing intramurals in college;  Soccer, basketball, flag football, ultimate frisbee - all the fun things.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?

I was a sprinter in track in middle school and early high school. But mainly focused on shot put. I started powerlifting to help get stronger for shot put. 


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.

  • 5K  - 10/8/17 Railsplitter 5K 36:32.59
  • Half Marathon  - 4/29/17 Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2:55:46 
  • Marathon distance -  9/8/17 Run Under The Stars 10 Hour Endurance Run 7:51 (I haven’t ran an official marathon but have hit the distance several times during races) 
  • 50K  - 11/11/17 Run Amok 50K 12:46:30 


What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?

Several races stand out in my mind. The Urban Bourbon in 2016 was my first half marathon. Prior to that year I had never run 5 miles. I will never forget crossing that finish line with my friend Holly and having a bunch of my Louisville Mothers Run This Town friends jump the fence to come hug me and get a picture.  The 2017 Louisville Lovin the Hills 15 mile trail race at Jefferson Memorial Forest was another memorable one.  I worked hard and pushed my body to make it through those hills and get to the finish.  My friend Lori put the wooden heart medal on me at the finish line and I thought she was a mirage as I was coming up that last hill.  I was so happy. Going back a bit, I reached my goal of completing 5Ks in 2015 when I ran one when I was 34 weeks pregnant with the twins.  I was in last place by quite a bit (except for my husband who wouldn’t leave my side) but I remember how thrilled I was to have crossed that finish line.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?

The sprint to the finish is definitely still my favorite part of any race, but I think the half distance is the most rewarding. 


Training with 4 Little Ones - Photo by John Stewart
Do you have any long-range plans?

Right now I am focusing on healing my separated abs (I have Diastis Recti following the birth of my twins and having 4 kids in 4 years) and my knee.  Physical therapy at PT Pros (I love having a fellow runner as a PT) has been super helpful and I have been focusing on getting a better base then will work my way back up to longer distances again.  Other than Ragnar, I’m sticking to under 10 miles this Spring. I will work back up to to a half and am signed up for the Backyard Classic 8 Hour Endurance Run in August.  Long-term, one of my goals is to run a Sub30 5K.  First, I will work towards a Sub35.:)


What do you like best about living and running in KY?

There are so many fun races, great trails, and wonderful people. Running is definitely about the journey and my running journey in Kentucky has been fantastic. 


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?

As a “back of the packer” it can definitely be hard sometimes to not get caught up in seeing how fast other people progress in their running. I often have to remind myself that my journey is no one else’s but my own. That my feet have gone up and down hills and through creek beds and made it to the finish line the same as someone who finishes hours before me. 


What do you see as a trend in running?

Running as a community.  Through local running stores like Running Soles here in Elizabethtown and free programs like Louisville Mothers Run This Town in Louisville, as well as social media groups, all you have to do is take the first step and you can be a part of an amazing group of people.  They will inspire, encourage, and support you. My running friends have become some of my best friends in life. I don’t know what I would do without them. 


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

This is where you were meant to be.  Running is truly a sport where everyone can go their own pace and take their own journey. Do not compare yourself to others; focus on you and what you want to accomplish. And make sure to sometimes ditch the watch and just go get immersed in the woods for awhile. 


Any closing comments?

Thank you for the chance to tell a little about my running journey.  I am inspired every day by other local runners and am enjoying reading each of their stories as you post them. 



1 comment:

  1. Mary Rose you do a fabulous job. Being a mother and wife, and having time to run is out standing. Your an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete