Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner Patrick Jenkins


Boston 2018
For this weeks Interview Tuesday I talk to Dr. Patrick Jenkins.  Dr. Jenkins took part in this years cold, wet  and windy Boston - as you will see in the pictures.  Enjoy getting to know him.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I am 56 years old. I was born in Bowling Green Ky. I grew up primarily in Fordsville Ky in Ohio County. I attended WKU for undergraduate studies and medical school at UK and completed my family practice residency at St. Elizabeth hospital in Edgewood Ky.  I have practiced in Somerset for the past 28 years.  I am married to Shelly and we have 4 children, Patrick, Kirk, Tyler, and Andrea.


What is your profession?
I am a family physician and have been a member of Lake Cumberland Medical Associates since 1991.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
I started running as a junior in high school to get in shape for basketball.  Our school did not have track or CC.  I “jogged” in college to help prevent my freshman 40 from becoming 80. 


How long have you been running?
I have been running seriously since 1997 when Allen and Arthur Crawford helped me get in running shape.


Did you participate in any other sports over the years? 
I played HS basketball and baseball.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? 
My only competitive running experiences started after 1997.  Our HS did not have any CC or track.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K
marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
  • 5-K:18:03
  • 10-K:38:15
  • Half-Marathon:1:26:18
  • Marathon: 3:14:17

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
My first half-marathon was the derby half in 1997. It was the first competitive race after I became a serious runner.  I ran a sub 1:30 and the bug hit.  The Dipsea trail race in Mill Valley California was a very unique running experience.  I qualified for my first Boston Marathon in 1999 at Kiawah Island SC.  Jack Evans and I ran it together and he really helped me complete it and gave me the opportunity to start my times in Boston.  I have been fortunate to run Boston 4 times.  It is unlike any racing experience that  I have experienced. It is the only athletic event where also rans like me are on the same stage on the same day with the world’s elite.


Boston 2018 Finish
You ran Boston this year, can you tell us about how it went and how you dealt with the weather?
I love cold weather running and enjoy running in the rain; however, this was a little extreme.  The race started with 19 degree windchill and a 30 mph headwind.  I had been injured in early January and was in very poor running shape.  I ran/jogged/walked the whole thing and finished last among all Kentuckians: however, it was one of  the greatest thrills that I have experienced to just complete it.


Do you plan on going back?
At this stage I have no plans except to try and get healthy enough to run fast again.   I do get 15 minutes at age 60!!!!!


Do you have a favorite workout you do?
I do a core strengthening circuit 1-2 times/week that has helped my overall strength and helped with injury prevention.


How about a favorite route you like to run?
My favorite training route is a 10 mile loop we call the black hole.  I enjoy running the Blue Herron loop in McCreary Co.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
I love the half-marathon distance.  It takes the rabbits out and gives plodders like me a chance to compete.


Do you have any long-range plans?
I just want to get healthy again and be able to run/train with my friends again.


What do you like best about living and running in KY?
I love the seasons we have.  I enjoy being able to race virtually every weekend if I so desire.  We have an abundance of races close to our home town.  Our community is blessed with many runners of all levels and ages. 


What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
I hate injuries.  Running is my Prozac.  I deal with the pressures of work and life in general much better when I am able to run 4-5 times per week.  Even if it is just 3 miles or so. 


What do you see as a trend in running?
There has been a resurgence of new runners in our area the last 2-3 years.  It is very exciting to me to see so many people trying to better themselves physically. 


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Enjoy the daily runs.  Each day you get to lace up your shoes is truly a gift from God.  The beauty of running is that you can choose whether to be competitive or just run for fun.  Learn from your mistakes whether racing or training and better yourself.  My #1 bit of advise would be just keep moving and be glad that you are able to be around those that enjoy doing what you love to do as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment