Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner Trevor Tucker

This week for Interview Tuesday I talk to Trevor Tucker who coaches McCreary Phoenix Racing & McCreary Central High School Cross Country/ Track and Field.  Trevor not only runs but also puts back into the community with his coaching.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
 I am 42 years old and was born in Oneida Tn. in August of 1975. I graduated from McCreary Central High School in 1993 and started working in the family gas and service station business. I currently reside in McCreary County Ky. with my wife Melissa. Melissa and I have been married for 20 years and have three children, two sons and a daughter.  Jordan, who is a senior at McCreary Central High School, will be attending Lindsey Wilson College in the fall with a scholarship in Cross Country/Track and Field. Aiden is a sophomore at McCreary Central High School, and a Varsity Cross Country & Track and Field runner.  Alyssa is in the 6th grade and is one of the three McCreary Phoenix Racing ladies on our current roster. 


What is your profession? 
I’m an Area Manager for Electricom Right of Way Services. We specialize in Vegetation Management services for Power and Telecommunications Companies in a multistate area.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
In December of 2015 I was helping my two sons train for an upcoming 5k for Phoenix Racing. I came up with the idea to begin running as a way to stay connected with my sons and well as working on a healthier lifestyle. My daughter began to express interest in running at the time as well so the two of us began training together. Early on I told Alyssa that she would soon pass me one day as I noticed how well she was progressing. At first she had trouble believing that comment but by mid spring she had done so and has never looked back. Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t going down without a fight but her dedication and raw talent was more than this 40 year old man could bear. 


How long have you been running?
Roughly 2 ½ years 


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I played Basketball and participated in summer softball leagues in school but once I entered the workforce and began traveling those sports took to the back burner.


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where? 
No I did not. To be quite honest Cross Country/ Track and Field was not a very popular sport throughout my school years. Knowing what I know now I would have loved the opportunity to have been involved at the High School level.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
  • 5K - 30:26
  • 10K - 1:25

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them? 
My Most memorable race was my first 5k, the Snowshoe Shuffle in early 2016. I remember my sons and a few of the other Phoenix runners coming out to the last straightway to cheer me on to the finish. I was so excited by the sheer fact that I was going to complete the race on my feet. After the race and awards ceremony was over (which I received 3rd in my age group), the Phoenix Team gathered together. I was asked by the Phoenix Coach to step forward in front of the crowd, not knowing what was transpiring I was a bit adamant on doing so. Once I arrived in front of the group I was taken aback by what happened next. I was presented with a Phoenix racing shirt and welcomed to the team. I was both excited and very overwhelmed by the presentation of such a great honor by the team captains. (That was definitely a great father moment as well). The Phoenix Racing shirt is a rite of passage for our group, “always earned, never given”.  That day was a defining moment of what would transpire over the next two years.


What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Fast 5k’s are great but I would have to say that the Yamacraw 10k is my favorite. Training for that type of trail race is probably the toughest but most enjoyable of all the races I have been in.


Do you have any long-range plans?
I am currently coaching McCreary Phoenix Racing & McCreary Central High School Cross Country/ Track and Field. I hope to continue with these programs and mentoring future youth in these sports to help grow our running community.


I talked to Mark Hamm some weeks ago about Phoenix Racing what is you part in the group and how did you get started with the group? 
As I mentioned earlier I am currently the coach of the McCreary Phoenix Racing team, which is a part of the Phoenix Wellness Organization. I got started with the group when my oldest son joined the team in the spring of 2014. I began helping the previous coach out when we would get together for practices and races. Then last year I was asked by Mark Hamm to consider the open coaching position, for which I was more than happy to accept. Mark and Phoenix Wellness has been a true blessing to me and my family. The doors that have been opened for my family as well as our team is truly unbelievable.  The continuing support that Mark and his group offer has been a key component to the success of McCreary Phoenix.


What do you like best about living and running in KY? 
What’s not to like about living and running in Kentucky? The sheer beauty of the area we live in is truly amazing. From running, hiking to kayaking there is endless opportunities for different styles of training. With so many areas to choose from there is never an issue with not having a diversified training program. As my runners will tell you, my motto is “races are won on the hills”.  If you can excel at the most difficult part of a race there is no reason to fail at the finish.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running? 
I would have to say time management is my toughest obstacle. With the juggling of family, work and coaching, finding time to run myself seems hardest. But there is a silver lining, I love to run but what I love even more is seeing my children run. What they and the team are doing now will carry with them the rest of their lives. I am perfectly comfortable with sacrificing my time for the betterment of our youth.


What do you see as a trend in running?
I believe that running will continue to grow. My hope is that the members of our running groups will continue to grow in knowledge in their college running careers and I anticipate these athletes will return home and help to incorporate running programs for all age groups.


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be? 
Always have confidence in yourself. I’m a firm believer in confidence over arrogance. My golden rule to my runners is for them to be a confident runner but never an arrogant one. How we carry ourselves daily is the view others perceive about us and the sports we are involved in. No matter how great of a runner you strive to be, the type of person you become in the process is what matters most. Hard work, dedication and servant leadership are the most vital points in becoming the best that you can be. 
   

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
Yes if anyone would like to follow us our facebook page is McCreary Phoenix Racing & McCreary Phoenix Racing Team. Any support for our group is greatly appreciated.


Any closing comments?
For all runners, new or veterans our Phoenix Racing motto holds true “There is no strength without struggle”


No comments:

Post a Comment