Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Interview Tuesday: Kentucky and Masters Runner Randy Gilbert

First 1/2 Marathon
This week I talk to Randy Gilbert.  I have not talked to him much in person as we just met at a race recently as he moved into my age group (50-59), thankfully I move out next year:)  Enjoy getting to know another of Kentucky's runners/cyclists.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
My name is Randy Gilbert, I was born in Chicago, IL . and grew up outside of Leitchfield, KY.  I went to Clarkson Elementary and Grayson Co Middle and High School


What is your profession?
I am employed at Metalsa Structures Corporation as a robot tech and have been employed at Metalsa since January 1996.  We manufacture frames for the ford F-150 and Expedition/Navigator.


How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
I started cycling after my mother had a stroke in 2007.  I had always lifted weights and  I always considered myself' in shape"- I wasn't - just because you're strong doesn't mean you're healthy.  My mom was strong too.  So I decided I needed a lifestyle change.  I always worried about burning calories but in the sense of losing weight to the effect of losing strength.  So I really had to reset my brain.  I started cycling and I've always enjoyed bicycles.  I started riding and it made me feel young again.  The I started to notice a trend that as winter come along I wasn't riding as much and then when spring came I felt id lost all my gains.  So i bought a treadmill and started running to improve my cycling and grew to enjoy the running and its grown since then.


How long have you been running? 
Probably consistently somewhere about 6 years..


Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
No not really, I just cycle and run and lift weights


Did you run in grade school, High School or College? 
No, I never ran in school.


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 

  • 5k PR is 20 flat - the 1 second into 19s is probably going to haunt me
  • 10k is 42:13 at monster dash in Bowling Green
  • Half Marathon  is 1:34:59... I believe thats my fastest to date...

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
I'd say my most memorable is my first century ride, mainly because of all the nervousness that went along with it. I'd never done anything like that.  My most memorable run has to be my first 5k which happened to be in Bowling Green at Keriekes Park..The Monster Dash.  It was in the dark on wet grass and an off camber first quarter mile -  was really nervous!! Also, there is my first obstacle course race, a Tough Mudder in Maysville.  I'd been training for that race for 6 months then we arrive and its 41 degrees and the first obstacle is a dumpster full of ice water and then by mile 3 it had started drizzling mixed with snow....freezing and getting zapped with electricity crawling thru muddy water!! good times!!


Do you have a favorite workout you do?
I'd guess my favorite workouts are really any that really tax me... like a longer hilly run or ride...


How about a favorite route you like to run?
My favorite route for running is really any route with rolling hills.  Right now I have a 4 mile loop from the gym that I really love doing.


What is your favorite distance to run and race? 
I don't know that I have a favorite.  I really like the 5k because its an all out short burst but I also like the half for its strategy in pacing to complete with a pace that you are happy with and I feel that I gave my all.


What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
I wear Brooks Raveenas, I just love this shoe.  I suffer from Mortons Neuroma and the toe box on these shoes coupled with the stability and comfort for me is exceptional.  I've tried other shoes but always return to the Raveenas.


What does your diet consist of when in training and when not?
I really don't diet much.  I try to stay away from fast foods and cakes and pies but other than that I really don't diet.  I like carbs and I do drink protein shakes after any hard effort workout.


I know you ride a fair amount, how did you start riding and how does it play a part in your training?
I think in my opinion running and riding play hand in hand, they compliment each other for me anyway.  I've come to realize that cadence is very important and running has sped my cycling cadence up and  that has naturally sped my run cadence.  I try to average 169 running and 95 cycling.


Which do you enjoy more: Riding or Running?   And Why?
I don't know that I enjoy one more than the other.  I love to ride in the summer because you can cover a lot of area faster but in the cooler temp days I really love to run.  So to pick a favorite would be hard for me.


Are there any other sports you take part in?
I really enjoy weight training and kayaking as well as obstacle course races.


Do you have any long-range plans?
First Race getting an Age Group Award (2nd from right)

My long range plan is simple - stay in motion as long as I can and to avoid injury.  I'd like to do a full marathon in the future but I don't have one picked out yet, been studying on a couple.


What do you like best about living and running in KY?
Kentucky is beautiful and people are friendly.  I love the rural areas the most,  keeps traffic low and is usually safer.  The national parks we have in the state are just flat beautiful. I truly believe God smiled when he created Kentucky.


What do you struggle with most with regards to running and training in general?
Injury - I have no issues with stamina or cramping or fueling, usually.  My biggest fear is injury. probably the reason for not having done a full yet is fear of a hurt knee.  My knees are huge concern for me.  I really protect them the best I can because they are the key to my fitness as well as my mobility.  I've had a knee scare once and it sits on my mind a lot.  I feel really blessed that God has allowed me to do the things I love with minimal injury.


What do you see as a trend in running?
I do see more and more people running as a way for gettin"in shape."  For the most part its free, other than quality shoes running is free - no gym memberships required - no bicycles -just a pair of shoes. so why not run? or even walk?


If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Hmm really my best advice would be to get out and enjoy the outdoors.  Run or ride., hike or walk or whatever.  Get outside, don't worry about speed or distances, if thats a priority it will come on its own.  Sure you can do things to improve those and you can but the first step is to go.  I think we as a people in todays fast paced life are growing more and more unhealthy.  Whether its the food we intake or the ease in which technology has helped us to do things or even our busy lives wearing us down to where we feel we are"too tired" or "I don"t have time."  Truth is we have time., it doesn't take  2 or 3 hours a day.  An average runner is able to run 3.1 miles in 30 minutes.  There's lots of excuses to not exercise, but our health is diminishing from these excuses.  I believe the first step is the hardest.  I struggle every single morning - I want to reset the clock and go back to sleep.  I try to argue its too windy, it may rain, it's too something or another.  But every single time I defeat that thought and bring it into subjection and go run or ride or whatever I always feel good about it when I finish and I'd suspect most people would be the same way.


Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
No not really.  I follow Running Soles and Central Kentucky Wheelmen for events and group activities.  They are both awesome, Will Rivera does an amazing job for the running community here in Central KY.


Any closing comments?
My advice to runners, or cyclists ,or really any exercising, would be to keep it as fun and enjoyable as you can.  You will be more likely to stick with something if you aren't dreading it.  Sure you will be sore from time to time but most muscle soreness is very temporary. keep it fun and have fun!!




No comments:

Post a Comment