Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Masters Runner Joe Lyons

Hatfield McCoy Marathon
While I have been at a few races Joe is it it seems we have not met, for any number of reasons, but have had some interaction online.  Get to know Joe better in todays interview as I will have to search him out at the next race we are both at.


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I am 42 years old and was born and raised in Somerset Ky. I attended the county schools and graduated from Pulaski County High School. I have been happily married since 1996  Outside of running, I enjoy spending time with my daughter and being a “pop pop” to her two year old son Weston.

What is your profession?
Building Inspector, for the City of Somerset.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
In February 2017 my weight had hit an all time high. I started out walking about 1 mile and would be so tired and out of breath. But persistence paid off. I increased my distance weekly and signed up for my first 5K in June 2017.

How long have you been running?
I have been running for 19 months.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
The only other sport I have participated in was little league baseball as a youth.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
I did not.
Bowling Green 1/2 Marathon


So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run.

  • 5K - 27 minutes
  • 10K - 1 hour 19 minutes
  • Half marathon - 2 hours 26 minutes
  • Marathon - 6 hours 45 minutes.

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
The Hatfield McCoy Marathon is the most memorable. The course was tough. The aid stations and volunteers were amazing.

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
Currently I don’t. I would like to learn a speed workout.

How about a favorite route you like to run?
I like to run the trails at Pulaski County Park.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
My favorite distance is the half marathon.

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
I run in Hoka Cliftons and Brooks Beasts. It seems the Hokas have so much support for long runs.
Grey Matters 5k  w/ Duffy Sutton - Whitesburg, KY


Do you have any long-range plans?
A goal I have set is to run a sub 2 hour half marathon and a sub 4 hour marathon.

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
The people and scenery. Pulaski and surrounding counties have amazing trails to run on and explore.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
I do want to run the Chicago Marathon and a Marathon in Florida would be great too!

Do you have any bucket list races?
The 50K at Yamacraw is a bucket list race for me. I want to complete an Ultra distance race.

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Pace.

Jingle Bell Jog - Stanford, KY
What do you see as a trend in running? 
In the short time I have been running it appears more people are becoming involved. I see more and more communities using running as a great way to promote health while raising awareness for charity.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Running is fun and addicting. But it can be tiring. If you need a break from running take one week or two. Small breaks won’t slow you down but may give you the rest you need to continue to love running.

Any closing comments?
I always encourage people to walk or run. I have met amazing friends and like minded individuals while attending races and running. The running community as a whole are some of the most polite and supportive people I have ever met.





No comments:

Post a Comment