Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Kentucky and Masters Runner George Clark

I have only seen George at a race/run or two and have yet to really meet him, except online.  Enjoy getting to know something about George, as I did.

Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc.….
I am 56, born in 1962. I am from Hardin County, grew up in Vine Grove. Graduated from North Hardin.

What is your profession?
I have been a line-tech at Nolin RECC for the past 30 years.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
I felt like I had to prove something to myself. Should I mention I got hit by a car riding my bike 3 years ago. I was on crutches for 4 months with a severe hip fracture. It was a new goal for myself

How long have you been running?
3 years.

As you also ride when did you start riding?
15 years ago.

Do you like riding or running best?
I like them both - riding is my passion, but they complement each other.

Do you road ride, Mountain bike or both?  Ever done Cyclo-cross?
Road mainly but I do some mountain biking. No cyclo-cross.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
Wresting Team in High school and a local swim team as a kid.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College?

No.

So, we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
  • 5K - 24:00
  • 10K - 51:17
  • Marathon - 4 hrs. 15 minutes
  • Ultra - 32 miles
What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
Backyard Classic(BYC), Land Between the Lakes -  learned a lot more about running, 8-hour endurance race, my first Ultra.

Do you have a favorite workout you do running?
Not really, I do a lot of hill repeats.

How about a favorite workout riding?
All out on the trainer for 30 minutes.

How about a favorite route you like to run?
BYC

How about a favorite place to ride?
Wednesday night route (we call the Wednesday night worlds)

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
1\2 race.

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
Hoka and Altra.

Do you have any long-range plans?
Full Iron Man

What do you like best about living, running and riding in KY?
Very challenging, scenic, great routes, trails and there is still a lot of rural areas.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run or ride?
Europe, Swiss Alps, Denmark ETC.

Do you have any bucket list races – both running and riding?
Maybe do an Ultra out West somewhere. Ride across America,

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
As of now learning to turn the hurt monster off, train to block him out. It's just your mind playing tricks on you.

What do you see as a trend in running?
Ultras, I.M.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
  • Having a good support team is key to making it happen. Spouse and family.
  • Surround yourself with great people and friends like RSN (Running Sole nation), CKW (Central Kentucky Wheel) and a great biking community is what keeps me going.
Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
Zwift indoor training, Facebook, RSN, CKW, Ultra Running.

Any closing comments?
Always keep setting new goals for yourself.
Surround yourself with people that have same interest, RSN & CKW, that are willing to help you when you're down.




********You can see past interviews here********






No comments:

Post a Comment