Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky and Campbellsville University Runner Jiovanni (Jio) Rivera

Indoor Conference Meet - Sophomore Year
Thanks to Jio for sharing his story as I learned as much as anyone since I only really see him when I am in town for a run.  Also, great to see him planning to work in the family business to keep Running Soles the great store it is - Enjoy


Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
Well, everyone typically calls me Jio for starters. I was born in Fort Stewart, Georgia. My dad is retired Army, so we moved often while I was growing up. I’ve been fortunate to have a very loving and supporting family: Will (father), Madeline (mom), and Jon (brother). We’ve lived in Florida, Illinois, and now Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I went to 2 different elementary and middle schools, then finished all my high school years at North Hardin High School in Radcliff. It’s been a challenging yet fun experience to live in the places I have over the years. It gave me opportunities to meet new people and create cherishing memories with friends and family from so many different walks of life. Now that my dad has retired and opened Running Soles in Elizabethtown, KY, it’s been nice to settle down and transition into a slower pace of lifestyle. I am now focusing on starting my own career as I finish school at Campbellsville University.

What is are you studying at Campbellsville University?
My major is Business Administration with an emphasis in BIT (Business Information Tech).

What are your plans after you graduate?
My plan is work alongside my dad at Running Soles in efforts to grow the business and share my passion and love for running.

When did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
I started running in 6th grade through a cross country club at the middle school I attended in Illinois. My dad has always been a runner and influenced me to follow in those footsteps, although I didn’t really have a driving goal back then. I just sort of did it for fun which quickly changed as the years went by. Since then, I have developed my own goals and ambitions within the sport and lifestyle.

Do you participate in any other sports other than running?
I did play soccer for 2 years a little before I started running. Again, nothing intense for me. I mainly enjoyed playing with friends at the time. 

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
  • 5K: 16:10
  • 8K: 27:25
  • 10K: 34:12
  • Papa John 10 Miler - Anthony Kuntz, Joey Hartlage & Jio
  • ½ Marathon: 1:26

Where did you go to High School and what events did you run there?
I went to North Hardin High School where I did Cross Country/Track & Field. In track I was primarily a distance runner with my shortest race being the 800m and longest the 3200m which I raced more often.

How was your transition from running in HS to C’Ville Univ.?
It was a big change; college running for me created a more disciplined and demanding approach compared to high school. I’ve been given so much information through proper training habits, nutrition and hydration, and the mentality to have as a competitor. The training regimen was a jump for me. While my high school coach did have some taxing workouts and runs throughout my years there, the increased degree of difficulty pertaining to the workouts, higher mileage, and other training elements that my college coaches provide have led to my personal success in my time so far at CU.

Any advice to other High Schoolers looking to running college?
If any high schoolers are looking to take their running career to the next level in college, my advice would be to find somewhere that they feel would be the best fit and that they’ll also enjoy outside of running. When I visited CU, I saw exactly what I wanted in a team I knew would push me to greater heights with a positive and friendly environment as well as a somewhat small university that was in my interests. In specific to running, they should choose somewhere they feel will challenge them in a good way to improve as they go.

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
One of my most memorable races was the 2012 State Cross Country Meet my freshman year of high school. We finished 5th as a team which was our best team finish in a long time. It was one of the first times as a runner I really saw my competitive drive grow.

I also was very happy with finally breaking the 28-minute barrier in the 8K my sophomore year at CU in the NAIA Great Lakes Challenge. I just felt pure joy for my team and for myself as I finished to see our hard work paying off. 

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
If I had to pick one, I would choose our 5x1 mile @ tempo effort that we do usually towards the end of cross-country season. That time of the season is always great with the weather cooling off and getting close to peaking. 

What does a regular week of training look like?
Pre-race Strides
When I’m in season, a typical training week would include 2-3 workouts depending on if there is a race that weekend with a mix of recovery runs and a long run to finish the week. The beginning months of our season consist of a lot of our big miles which stays at a consistent 50-60 miles and slowly decreases as we approach championship season.

Do you have a favorite route, or place, you like to run?
I’m unbiased a lot of the time when it comes to location of my runs, if I don’t have to do the treadmill then I’m usually happy with anything. When I’m home though, Freeman Lake is a go-to for me.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
My favorite distance to run is 8-10 miles at a comfortable pace.  I love to race the 8K. It’s a nice medium where it’s short enough to still show off some speed, but long enough to involve some strategy.

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
Well, with my dad owning a running store, I find myself all over the place and never sticking to one shoe-- which is a blessing. I have found the best luck with the Hoka Cliftons. I love the maximum cushioning it gives that can take lots of miles but still soft and light to put up some fast times.

Do you have any long-range plans with regards to running?
I do plan to continue running as I transition out of school. Nothing in mind yet, I just hope to be healthy and begin to race some longer distances.

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
I enjoy the people. Whether through running or simply meeting them, I’ve seen lots of different backgrounds and cultures compared to the areas I was used to as I’ve grown up. The hospitality is unlike anywhere else. I’ve found it very easy to connect with others in a positive and lively way. 

Is there anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
My dream would be to train/run in the west coast. Colorado being at the top of the list. The scenery is beautiful, and the running community seems strong.

Do you have any bucket list races?
First Home Meet @ Green River

My only bucket list race so far is to qualify and compete at the Boston Marathon one year. I’m sure as I continue in my running career, I will get the itch for more and more.

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
One of the bigger struggles for me has always been my mentality as a competitor. Running is largely in part a mental game more than it is physical, so sometimes it’s easy for me to get in my own head. I try to counter that with self-confidence and the work that I have put in to get to the point I am at today.

What do you see as a trend in running?
A trend I see among many college runners, sometimes even high school runners, is the concern of longevity in their running careers. While competitive running is very rewarding and fun at times, I hear of many runners coming out of those programs burnt out due to extremely demanding training plans they’re put through. I would love to see a healthier approach to still seeking the best results out of a runner but keeping in mind that running doesn’t end there. There is still enjoyment in racing or even running leisurely after school. 

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
Trust and believe in yourself. There’s a love-hate relationship that is developed when running. Some days you feel incredible, other days you don’t. So, it’s important to be positive in all circumstances and confident in your abilities. One thing that’s been instilled in me through my dad is you get out what you put in. You will see results as you put the time and effort in. Another thing to note is every runner is different. There is no secret formula to being healthy or fast. The key is to learn who you are and what works for you.

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
Instagram: jioriv

Any closing comments?
I appreciate this opportunity from Tony Konvalin to share my experiences and journey thus far as a runner. I was humbled to be a part of this alongside plenty of awesome and experienced runners. 



********You can see past interviews here********


No comments:

Post a Comment