Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Training Overview #1 – Week of June 10 thru 16, 2019

This is the first installment of my sharing of my training over the next year.  As I stated in my post last week, here, the three main goals for the up coming year, into May of 2020, are: Grand Canyon R2R2R this October, Boston Marathon April 2020 and then Dirty Kanza 200 gravel race May 2020.  These are the main goals and do not include other rides and races I will be doing but just the main ones I have on the radar.
post,

The tough part with the upcoming training plan is achieving the correct balance with miles/time running and riding.  It is hard enough when I am using riding as a form of cross training but when I have goal races for each sport I need to figure out not only the balance but what to do in both.  The tentative plan is, in the future, to do more speed work running and limit the length of runs, at least till closer to Boston, to help with some foot issues, and use the bike for longer endurance work.  This seems to fit well with the runs and bike rides/races I will be doing.  The issue with me is I have for so many years run and ridden based on miles so when I am in some ways focusing on both sports and not just as cross training I have to be careful to not over do it and realize to look at the total work done and effort put out.
Seal BEach Pier

Overview:
The plan for June is to keep running mileage, in weeks with more riding to 25 miles or so and in a week where I have less riding mileage be at about 30-40 miles or so.  To that end this week I ran 3 runs for a total of 21.5 miles as I had three rides with two of them being 32+ mile rides with some harder segments and then this past weekend doing my longest ride to date since getting back into it at 107 miles.

The runs went fairly well all things considered since the temps for the first two on Monday and Wednesday were 104 and then 90 with the last run this past Sunday being a much more pleasant at 65.  All the runs were relaxed and at what felt like an easy pace but the two in the heat were hard just due to the temperature.  The problem with heat even with easy runs is they deplete you and felt that by Thursday.  My right foot was sore but feeling better and my back while sore does loosen up as the run goes on.

As far as rides the two mid-week ride were fairly good.  The first one was only hard due to it being 99F and while riding in heat to me is easier than running it was still hot and when climbing it gets warm.  The Thursday ride I went harder on a longer Strava segment to get my best time but not all out and was a controlled ride I knew I could go faster on.  Then this weekend I did a long ride by myself and the weather was pretty much perfect as it was overcast and 63F till about an hour to go when the sun came out and started warming up.  The ride was mostly downhill till half way then uphill coming back with almost 75% of the elevation gain in the  last 30 miles which makes it a little harder than when spread out over the entire ride.  I also, so as not to overdo it and pay later, did not push too hard for the first part of the ride so did not bank a higher average speed.  The goal for these long rides is not necessarily speed but to get in the mileage and time in the saddle

Diet Notes:
Huntington Beach Pier

The Week was pretty normal as I did as usual  for me, being LCHF in how I eat, in trying to keep my carbs to 100 – 150 grams per day with the rest from fat and protein.   When I do runs, and rides, if they are shorter than an hour or two I simply take a water bottle or two depending on length and heat.  However, on these long rides, 107 Saturday, I either play with race nutrition or simply use the ride to hone being able to burn fat more effectively.  For this week’s ride the goal was fat burning and went pretty well as really the only carb intake on the ride was a Maurten Gel in the last 17 miles relying instead largely on SFuels drink for the ride with one  FBomb Nutbutter at about half way along with a Vespa. The SFuels,  whom I am an Ambassador for is very low to no carbs drink  and works great to take in fluid and minimize the intake of carbs.  Again, for races or rides I want to go harder on I take in strategic carbs as needed but far less than I used to before working on an alternate way to fuel than being carb-centric.  I also took in 6 S!Caps electrolyte capsules as they work well to mitigate cramps and I use PR Lotion which I have found effective to minimize lactic acid build up.
The following was my pre-ride fueling and ride fueling:

Pre-Ride:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • One 20oz bottle of water with 2 scoops SFuels and one Vespa Concentrate
  • 1 Small cup of Oatmeal with butter, heavy cream and blueberries
Ride Fueling;
  • 3 – 20oz Bottles of water with 2 scoops each of SFuels
  • 2 – 20oz Bottles  of just water
  • Had one Vespa at 55 miles 
  • Also had one F-Bomb Nutbutter
  • With 17 miles to go I did take a Maurten Gel – probably could have done without it but was a little tired so felt like not draggin it in so took the gel
Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides on Strava:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  21.4
  • Riding Miles – 172.2
  • Total Time – 13h 23m

So that was the week that was.  This week I am looking for around 25 miles running and 140 miles riding with a 100 miler planned again for Saturday but with much more climbing so will be a longer ride time wise.

I share all this as much for me as anyone else since it makes me review the past week but also to share my mistakes as much as successes so others may glean something form it.  As always if you have a questions just leave a comment.



No comments:

Post a Comment