Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky Runner Tracy Gaines

1st Women 2018 BYC
This week I interview Tracy Gaines who I have met at races in E'town Running Soles runs and even at PTPros when she was getting some PT.  It was good to learn more about Tracy through the interview.

Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…
I am 39 years old.  I was born and raised in Frankfort, KY.  I graduated from Western Hills High School then went to a National Business College in Lexington, KY.  There I received an Associates Degree in Business Management and Fashion Merchandising Management.  (I was hoping to move to NY and work in the fashion industry).  As a military spouse our family moved 8 times, but we sowed our roots in Rineyville, KY.  We are close enough to family in Frankfort.  

What is your profession?
Being a military spouse and moving every two years regularly I chose to work at Credit Unions as assistant managers. That was always my area of expertise.  Then after 9 years of that I decided to work for University of Louisville Dentistry.  I became the Patient Service Assistant manager for 6 years.  My husband changed jobs and deployed but I was still able to work here and manage the house with 2 kids at the time.  3rd child was born 5 years ago and we thought it was best to stay home with the kids until he goes to Kindergarten. (which that will be in a few months)

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
The only reason that I ever started running was because of my older brother.  He was on the cross-country team and track team.  He was FAST and WON almost every race he was in.  The team needed more girls.  We ended up with 7 girls because of me which was the amount we needed to go to State in Cross-Country.  We happened to win State that year for the first time (and 3 years after that).  I hated running but I wanted to be GREAT like my brother.  I was never at his level but I ended up ok with that.

How long have you been running?
I gave up my dancing and paper route job to start running on the 8th grade track team.  I was 13 years old.   I continued to run off and on through the years.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?

2019 Derby Half Marathon

Always wanted to play basketball but cross-country interfered so running was all I did other than tap dancing for 8 years.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College? 
I started running in 8th grade to be put on the 3200m relay team to try to win State.  One of our girls stepped on the white line and we got disqualified or we would have. Then I ran 4 seasons of CC.  My coach liked to put me on the 2-mile race, but I hated it.  I got so frustrated that I started jumping hurdles.  After one season of hurdles, high and low, I ended up placing 8th in the state for the 300m low hurdles.  

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past. 
As I remember ALL my times from high school, I will only provide my last 4 years as I seriously got back into racing in my adult years.
  • 5K-22:10
  • 10K-47:50
  • Half Marathon-1:44:12
  • Marathon-3:49:37
  • 8hr endurance run 41.50 miles (longest distance)
What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
2018 BYC

My first marathon in 2016 at the Kentucky Derby Festival as I had nothing to compare to.  I just ran and didn’t watch the clock much.  I ran in the ran and it was actually exhilarating.  I lost my first toe nails from that race, but it was a great experience and so far I have not been able to match that time again.

Also last year 2018 Backyard Classic was that I went into that race with a plan after making several mistakes the previous year.  I did exactly what I needed to get me through those miles and never gave up.  I finished first female in that race.

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
I particularly like getting a good track workout.  I feel my strongest when I run fast even when it is just short intervals with small breaks.

What does a regular week of training look like?
I try to run 25-35 miles per week if I am strong and not injured.  My off days I will strength train and or use my spin bike to do intervals getting my heart rate up.

How about a favorite route you like to run?
I am sucker for waterfalls and beautiful sceneries.  I love nature, birds especially, so I would really pick Buttermilk Falls in Brandenburg because it is still mostly road running, but I also get the nature part of it.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Probably half marathon as I don’t have to train as long as I would for longer distances.

You have been dealing with an injury – what was it, what has been your recovery process and how is it going?
I have been dealing with hamstring tendonitis.  I think it started because I was lacking on my strength training for a bit.  

Being back to running how, if at all, did the injury change your running?
I started my treatment at PT PROS and they got me to work on isolated exercises strengthening core and hips.  Then I started working out at BFIT in January.  My leg is much stronger but continuing the strength work will only help me get even stronger.  I feel like I am almost back to where I was a couple of years ago. 

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
After Lou Holtz 5K - few years after HS
Will Rivera from Running Soles introduced me to Altra.  I thought they were quite ugly BUT I knew this guy was legit and I trusted him and going zero drop.  I have loved wearing Altras for years now.  I have a few Hokas, but I tend to go back to my Altras. 

How about diet, do you eat any certain way and do things change on race week and race day?
I just drink more water when I know a big race is coming.  Carbs a few days before the race.  I also drink beet juice the week of marathon or Ultra.  I also drink an Amino Acid powdered drink for pre run and post run.  That helps with recovery.

Do you have any long-range plans?
My kids come first in sports so I fit in my races when I see that I can.  I am always training for something.

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
This running community in E-town and surrounding area is unreal to me.  I have never made so many friends doing the same thing I love.  The support we give each other is no where else to be found.  I had a neighbor (Rachel Wienke) who saw me running in our neighborhood years ago.  She asked me if I would like to go on a 10-mile run with her.  I said “NO WAY, I have only run 7 miles on one run in my life.”  I went anyway and it was the best feeling accomplishing something so hard.  From there on, she introduced me to Running Soles and I have never looked back.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
I would love to go back to Colorado and run.  I used to live in Colorado Springs but was not very adventurous in my running and definitely did not run trails.  I would love to try it again.

Do you have any bucket list races?
Western Hills  AA State X-CountryChampions 1994
I would love to run Boston Marathon sometime in my future.  That is just a race I have been watching as a little girl and would like to say I earned my spot there.

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
To love to love running trails.  If only I didn’t fall so hard in the woods and pick my feet up just a little bit more, I could handle them better.

What do you see as a trend in running?
Ultra trail run and so popular now.  Heck I never even heard of an Ultra race 5 years ago.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
I would like to say to never give up a dream or something you love because you feel like you will never get there.  In high school I was not near the fastest person on our girls team.  I got frustrated with myself all the time but as an adult I work hard at what I am trying to train for and I am very proud of the achievements so far.  I look back and I feel the frustration was what was holding me back.  Just keep going, it gets easier and you will get to your dreams.

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
Find me on Facebook and Instagram/ Tracy Gaines and Smileytlg

Any closing comments?
Thank you for taking the time to learn a little more about me.  Running runs through my blood and my dad used to run in high school but it just took me awhile to find why I needed to love running for myself.


********You can see past interviews here********



No comments:

Post a Comment