Monday, July 8, 2019

Training Overview #4 – Week of July 1 thru 7, 2019

Overview:
This was, for all intents and purposes, to be an easy week with less running than last week.  That said I did run around the desired miles but rode more than I had expected.  The running miles were more front loaded as I ran a 12+ miler on Monday and then ran a 6+ miler early Tuesday morning.  As this was a travel week I did not run Wednesday but when I got home found some guys were going to ride on the 4th so figured I would join in.  As usual the ride was fairly quick ,considering the climbing.  Then I decided to do a longer ride Saturday so rode with Matt and got a tour of a neighboring county and did in some good vert on a warm and humid day.  I then ran a short run on Sunday morning and the legs were a little dead from Saturdays ride but not too bad.

What I have noticed is that my Accessory Navicular issue that was sore after last weeks long run and still sore after another longish run Monday is not just sore after long runs.  I noticed that on my flight, with all the sitting, it would start to be sore and I was not even putting pressure on it.  Sort of makes sense as the issue is linked to my Posterior Tibial Tendon so the sitting appears to put some tension on my right side and thus extends to my foot.  This fits my usual idea that most injuries can be attributed to issues further up the chain and is not necessarily restricted to the affected area..

I am seeing more and more that I need to work on getting my foot better by: PT visits, running two a-days and keeping long runs to a minimum and using long bike rides for my endurance training, before i up my running milage too much.  The current training routine will be a test to see how the bike training will help my running and vice-versa.  In the past I have filtered in riding but have not  used it as an intentional part of training.  I realize that in general focusing on one sport should lead to more progress in that sport but as that is not a choice right now for me I am going to work at how I can combine the two to the best effect .

Thus, over the next year I will be working to find out what combination of running and riding works best with a goal of working towards a 9 day cycle.  What I am interested to figure out is what days are to be harder days and how it works taking part in two disciplines.  Initially my intent is doing short harder runs and then on some days longer hard rides.

Stay tuned to see how this goes.

Relive 'Tour of Lincoln and Surrounding Counties'

Diet Notes:
This was one of those weeks where my diet, Lower Carb-Higher Fat (LCHF), was not what I would want it to be.  What I have found though is that having worked at being fat adapted and gaining metabolic flexibility is that when I stray from my usual diet I can just get refocused and get back to normal.  I often hear about how one gets back into ketosis after “falling off the wagon” but my experience, keeping in mind I do not track being in ketosis, is that  a few higher carb meals does not ruin months/years of work.

As an example, even after indulging in that southern delicacy Chicken and Waffles and having a cinnamon roll and a few other excursions from being LCHF my two rides this week went as they normally do and I need very little in extra calories to get through them.  What this tells me is that as you train your body to burn fat as the main source of energy it does not forget what it needs to do simply because you diverged from how you eat.  This is one reason I like to talk about what is referred to as metabolic flexibility and not simply fat adaption as the goal for performance is not just being fat adapted  so as to burn fat but I want metabolic flexibility so I can burn both sources as needed by the event and situation.  I may not be fully there yet and still need to work on things but I am well on my way and heading down the right road.

Pre-Ride Nutrition-Thursday:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
Ride Fueling-Thursday:
  • 2 – 20oz Bottles of water with 2 scoops each of SFuels
  • At 25 miles I did take a Maurten Gel – As this was a harder ride figured I wanted so see how it went
  • 2  - S!Caps at half way
Pre-Ride Nutrition-Saturday:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • One 8oz cup of water with one Vespa Concentrate
  • 1 Small cup of Oatmeal with butter, heavy cream and blueberries, little male syrup for taste
Ride Fueling-Saturday:
  • 2 – 20oz Bottles of water with 2 scoops each of SFuels
  • 1– 20oz Bottles  of just water
  • ¾ of a UCAN Coffee bar

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  24.1
  • Riding Miles –  116.9
  • Total Time –  9:51

Conclusions:
Probably not as restful a week as I could have done but the rides this past week were good.  Running was lower so hope that helps with the foot soreness.  This coming week I have a PT appointment so hope to start work on dealing with my foot.  This coming week I am aiming for about 30-40 miles running – depends on how foot feels – and want from 100-125 riding.  I do have a running race on the weekend so while not resting for it will hope to be rested as much as I can be.


Last Week's Overview #3






No comments:

Post a Comment