Monday, July 1, 2019

Training Overview #3 – Week of June 24 thru 30, 2019

Overview:
Saturdays Long Run
This was a week with more of a focus on running and doing a long run at the end of the week.  It was
also one where I did 2 days with running twice and 1 day where I ran early and rode the same day.  The goal was to only run/ride 5 days with Friday and Sunday off.

The hard part is, as I have mentioned before, is that while I know that riding is added stress – and stress is stress – my brain still looks at my running mileage and does not see it, as I should, in light of the miles ridden.  So this week having ridden quite a bit last week and coming in a little tired was harder than expected.  That said I had some good runs in that while my legs felt tired overall I was relaxed and ran well.  Also, on the rides I had some Strava segments I did well on so got some good work in both riding and running.  Also, goal was to get one long run in while I was here in So. Cal so ran some easy trails but still got some vert and miles in.  The run went well but for sure felt the stress on my right foot navicular bone area.  That said I need these runs, even if fewer, to work on my foot getting stronger for the Grand Canyon but rely on the long rides to get extended time out working.

The main goal of the months ahead is to just get in some easy work, with some hard efforts every now and then in the form of a race or group run/ride.  While I have not been using my HRM as much when I do it is showing that in general I am keeping my HR decently low when needed.  Just need to get miles in, riding and running, to be ready for the Grand Canyon R2R2R n October – and to get there healthy.

I did add a new race to my list in that I entered the 60 Mile Kentucky State Gravel Championship on August 10th.  This will be an interesting ride on two fronts.  First it is only a week after I do a Century in Owensboro on August 3rd.  But, also as I have done little gravel riding it will be like jumping into the deep end of the pool.  This in the end will be good as I will get in some more intense gravel training and a long day in the saddle to better prepare for Dirty Kanza next year.

By the way I want to thank my god friend Jamie Heidebrink who has been loaning me his bike when I am in So Cal for work.  Hoping to get my older bike (30 year old Medici) refurbished to bring out here but if it was not for Jamie I would not have been be able to ride when I am away from home - thanks again.

Diet Notes:
Nothing special this week – still working to keep carbs at from 100 – 150 grams a day but know I had a couple days probably closer to 200.  That said I think I am far enough into being fat adapted I do not let a day here and there not being what I want bother me.  I can still tell, as I noticed on the last two long rides and this past weeks long ride that I can go a fair distance on little fueling.  That said I will for sure fuel more for races as the goal when racing is speed and performance but will use much less in the area of carbs than I have in the past before working on optimizing fat metabolism.  The long run this week while not run fasted was done on not much extra as I used last week before my long ride.

If you want more info on fat adaptation you can check out the SFuels Quick Start Guides and also Peter Defty has some great info here and this is one of many articles on Jeff Browning and his change over to being fat adapted

The following was my Pre-Run and Long Run fueling.

Pre-Long Run Nutrition:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • 1 - Vespa
Long Run Fueling;
  • 1– 20oz Bottles of water with 2 scoops each of SFuels 
  • 1 – 20oz Bottles  of just water – for last 3 miles
This weeks Long Run

Relive 'Long Run in the Canyon'

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Weeks Totals:
  • Running Miles –  46.5
  • Riding Miles – 80.5
  • Total Time  – 11:43
June Month End Totals
  • Running Miles –  128.2
  • Riding Miles – 453.9
  • Total Time  -  48:19
Conclusions:
If it were not for my Accessory Naviccular Syndrome issue things would be great as my back, while still a little stiff, is getting much better.  My right foot definitely gets sore on longer runs so hope getting some PT when I get home.  This coming week will be an easy one as I travel home mid-week from work in So, Cal.  If I ride it will be Saturday but not sure and mileage will be no more than 40, probably less – in the 30 mile range.  While not always successful I like to put in 4-5 weeks of good mileage and then take a week that is lower mileage and easier to get added recovery time.

One other thing I am looking at doing it seeing if I can institute a 9 day workout schedule instead of the usual 7 day one.  This helps to get more rest and also get some hard work in.  Joe Friel talks about it in his book Fast After 50 that I reviewed here and you can also read about the 9 day cycle here.

As always I hope this helps at the least give you ideas of what you can do in your training and see that age, I will be 60 in August, does not have to stop one from training effectively.

Last Week's Overview #2






1 comment:

  1. Very well done, Tony. Rock solid mileage, both run and riding. I think it is wise to have a PT examined your ANS. You train smarter not harder as you approach age 60! Keep it up! Best wishes, Csaba

    ReplyDelete