Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Meet Kentucky Runner Christopher Lowe

I have not met Christopher but when I heard he was looking to start a running club in a nearby town, Burkesville Kentucky, I want to learn a little more about him and encourage anyone in the area to hook up with one of the clubs runs.

Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
My name is Christopher Lowe. I am 28 years old. I am from Greensburg, Kentucky.

What is your profession?
I am a high school English teacher at Cumberland County High School in Burkesville, Kentucky.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so? 
The thing that prompted me to get into running was the sense of adventure and completeness I get from participating in endurance sports. Being an athlete most of my life, competition, especially self-competition, drives me to want to be better. Also being a type 1 diabetic, I wanted to do something that would allow me to live a healthy and vibrant life. Running gave me the best opportunity to do this.

How long have you been running? 
I have been running consistently for 7 years, starting when I was 21 years old.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I played basketball and baseball from an early age throughout high school.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
In high school I ran for conditioning for the sports I played but not for sport; in college I started running for hobby before really getting into the race scene.

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K
marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.

  • 5K - 18:37
  • 10K - 42:15
  • 13.1 - 1:43:36
  • Marathon - 3:39:2
  • 50K - 5:51:00

What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
My first trail race is probably my most memorable race because of the good and bad. It was a 20k trail race in Kentucky. At mile 5 I rolled my ankle and probably should have dropped out. However, knowing I wanted to finish, I ran through the pain and ended with a finish that was better than I expected. The adversity thrown at me really showed my grit and determination to stay true to myself in running.

Do you have a favorite workout you do? 
As long as I am out running, I am happy and having a blast. There isn’t one typical workout that I gravitate towards; I like mixing up my workouts, throwing in cycling and swimming into the weeks, and thoroughly enjoying every moment of it. I have found that I am in love with the training process.

What does a regular week of training look like?
My typical training week depends on whether school / work is in session or not. During the summers I put in two long days of running a week and throw in cross training (cycling and swimming) into the plan. During school / work, the long day of running is trimmed to one day a week, but my shorter runs are done at a higher intensity.

How about a favorite route you like to run? 
Road: I love running in my home town of Greensburg. There are many hills that are incorporated into any run. I have created a 15 mile loop throughout the town that begins and ends at my parents’ house and it is a dream-like scenic route.

For trails: Boom Ridge Trail in Burkesville is a point to point trail that leads into Tennessee with beautiful nature surroundings.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
I would say the 1/2 marathon is my favorite distance to race. As far as just running, I find joy in any distance I can run.

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
I run in the On-Running Cloudflow. I love the light weight and the bounce that I get off the road with each foot strike.

How about diet, do you eat any certain way and do things change on race week and race day?
I have been a vegetarian for 2 years, and I find that this diet has helped in my recovery and endurance when it comes to running. The way this diet also makes me feel outside of running is another benefit.

Do you have any long-range plans? 
Obviously I feel for any endurance runner, a marathon like Boston or New York is a goal. I also would like to run a race in every state. This is something that I think would be an experience to keep with you forever.

What do you like best about living and running in KY? 
I love the diversity of scenery, elevations, and the people that you get to run with. Also, every place I have ran at in Kentucky, I have experienced a since of community that cannot go unnoticed.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
Any national park in America.

Do you have any bucket list races?
I will race anywhere I can go.

You just started a running group in Burkesville – can you share about it and your goals for the group. Burkesville Run Club is a social / community running group that, in its essence, is devoted to providing a community and social aspect of life to a community and people that need it, along with providing an opportunity for people to start or continue their journey of health. My personal goal for this club would be for this group to continue to grow and for Burkesville to become a running community as a whole.

What do you struggle with most with regards to running? 
I believe the one thing I struggle with would be to listen to my body when I need rest and / or easy days. Convincing myself that I need to slow down or even take a day off is something I am still coming to terms with.

What do you see as a trend in running?
I have seen an upward trend of trail and ultra running. I feel like more people are gravitating towards the trails and pushing their own limits.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?

  1. Run your own race - too many people compare themselves to other runners who are far superior in their experience and I think it really puts them down. So get out there and run your race in the ways that are comfortable to you. My number one rule: THERE ARE NO BAD RUNNERS!
  2. All progress is good progress. Whether you improve 1/4 of a mile or take off .5 seconds off your mile, you have progressed yourself in your endeavors. Keep it up and I am proud of you.

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?


Please follow both :)

Any closing comments?
Running has given me the wisdom and opportunity to better myself in all aspects of life. I am excited to continue to share my own path and inspire and help others get on theirs.

Thanks. Peace. Love




********You can see past interviews here********


No comments:

Post a Comment