Monday, October 14, 2019

Training Overview #18 – Week of Oct 7 thru Oct 12, 2019 – Time to Rest - 3 Days till R2R2R

Overview:
This was basically an easy week to prepare for the R2R2R we are running in 3 days (Wednesday the 16th).  While my foot is still sore when running it is slowly getting better and the hope is it will continue that way as the days move forward as I will only be running a little bit from now till we run the Grand Canyon.  Also, the soreness is not constant but changes so will work to manage it.  This week I ran three times and just ran to stay comfortable and while not on trails also to see which shoes to run in for the R2R2R.  I think I am going with the Topo Ultraventure as while I wish they fit a little more snuggly the extra cushioning over the Topo Terrventure feels better.  In hindsight might have been good to try the Topo Mtn Racer to see if it had a more snug fit but maybe for my next big adventure.

I did two rides this week with the shorter one on Tuesday having a short 6 mile tempo section to just get my legs moving.  I then did a 53 miler on Saturday with a friend and rode easy but did pick up my cadence for miles 35 – 45 keeping it at about 95 – 105 RPM while in the same gear but turning . Cooled down from mile 45 to the end.  Might seem strange that with a long run in 4 days from this ride I rode this far but truthfully this felt good and was fresh when done.  I have found with the increase in long rides that 40-60 miles rides seem easy and feel short – good thing with a 200 miler for Dirty Kanza.

That was it for the week so now comes rest sand getting things ready for the coming week's adventure.

Relive 'SART Ride W/Andy'

Diet:
Not much for this week but have to say it was a week where I strayed from my usual 100-150 grams of carbs a day – probably went as high as 250 but in general felt fine.  When I have weeks like this I do not fret, well try not to, over them but just work to get back on track.  All in all  the test of if things are still working as I like them is on my longer rides and runs – as they say “the proof is in the pudding.”  So as with last week this weekend my long run only required the same fueling as last week with 100 calories and 2 grams of carbs – see below on ride fueling.

Still working on what I will take on the R2R2R run but want to keep it simple with most my calories and carbs coming from SFuels-Race formula drink.  I wil carry a gel or two as well as a few UCAN bars and some Vespa.

Pre-Ride:
- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Gee, Collagen, Half & Half and Chocolate Primal Fuel
- 1 Justin’s Nut Butter with Maple in it

Ride Fueling;
- 1ea 24 OZ bottle of water with 2 scoops of SFuels-Train ( 100 Cals & 2 Grams Carbs)

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  14.9 Miles
  • Riding Miles –  78.9  Miles
  • Total Time –  6:40 Hours
Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
Based on how I am feeling it was a good week and even with a longer ride than may seem prudent it went well s I feel good.

I do have some, well maybe more than some, nervousness for the up coming run as for a run this long I have run less than I usually would but have ridden more.  It is the supplementation of riding for running that is strange and in truth is a test to find what works best to improve at both disciplines.  We shall see this coming week but even then the next step is to see how I use riding to help with a good run at Boston then I transfer over to riding for Dirty Kanza

I probably should add a caveat to this experiment is that even with less running I do have many, many, many years of running in my legs so my base is pretty large and that will help.

After this coming week’s run I am taking a week off from running and maybe two and only riding once a week for a couple week just to rest up.  Then I will have to set out a plan for Boston and Dirty Kanza 200 as they are about 6 weeks apart.

Next week's post will be later in the week so as to get the time to write up thoughts on the R2R2R adventure

As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #17






No comments:

Post a Comment