Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Interview Tuesday: Kentuckian Eddie Legaspi

Rut 50K
It was good to learn more about this weeks interviewee Eddie Legaspi who I only know from meeting him as he worked at the Running Soles store.  Enjoy getting to know Eddie better.

Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I was born in Germany in the fine year of 1991. My dad is retired from the Army and my mom has been an Army civilian for all of my life. Since 1993, my sister and I were raised by our mom here in Vine Grove. Growing up we were mainly a soccer family, though we plied our skills at most sports. We were constantly playing outside and causing a ruckus around the neighborhood.

After graduating from John Hardin HS in 2010, I moved to Spokane, WA and attended Gonzaga University. I graduated with my BA in Journalism in 2014 and went to work in the film industry shortly after. I’ve made it a point to travel as often as I could, both domestically and internationally. I’ve backpacked Europe and SE Asia, with my sights set on visiting my sister in Africa this upcoming year—when my race season will allow it.

I moved back to Hardin Co. near the end of 2018 and have since started to mesh within the community and started to build the next chapter of this really cool life.

What is your profession?
I’ve never been a true “career-minded” person, just a guy with a million and a half interests. Right now, I am working with the family down at Running Soles. I am having an absolute blast being a part of the running community. I make it a priority to follow along with current gear, research, and coaching techniques to take friends and family I’ve made to the next level. After that, who knows where the Universe will use me.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
I’ve always sort of ran for sports, especially since my focus was soccer. In college, I was more of a gym guy and would always add a mile or two runs in, mainly out of obligation. I started an interim job at an insurance company between filming seasons and met a guy who would become one of my best friends, Garrett. Garrett comes from a quality running pedigree and he heard me mention I was interested in a marathon one day down the line. After running my mouth, Garrett got me to trail run with him a few Saturdays in a row and introduced me to the Ultramarathon culture. It gripped me tightly and has yet to let go. This was in 2017. Within 12 weeks, Garrett turned me from a 10-15 mile a week runner into a guy who was finishing his first 50 miler, the White River 50 Miler.
Now, ultrarunning is my obsession and a huge part of what has shaped me recent past and the foreseeable future.

How long have you been running?
As part of my sports and gym routine since the age of 3. Actually focusing on running as a sport, since May 2017.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
The sport really worth mentioning would be soccer. I played from the age of 3 until I graduated HS. I played premier club soccer for a few teams out of the Hardin Co. and Louisville regions. I played Varsity all four years at John Hardin. I turned down college offers to attempt to walk-on at Gonzaga, but decided I liked the social and academic atmospheres a little better and never gave it a chance. One of life’s big regrets that ultrarunning has aided in addressing. I was a student assistant with Gonzaga’s Women’s NCAA Div 1 team and was the head coach of Gonzaga’s Women’s Club team. Since then, it’s been ultrarunning ever since.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College?
Only when I was in trouble, which was frequently. So technically, yes…?

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
No clue on 5k. A 10k trail race was like 35-ish? I have one road and one trail marathon to my name and both earlier in my running career, 3:21 and 4:20 respectively. Since then I’ve mainly focused on running farther.
- 50 Miler: 9:15
- 100 Miler: 26:17 and, boy, was that a story.
Mile 80 of Burning River 100

You recently ran the Rut 50K – how did the race go?

The race went really well, all things considered. It started out from the main lodge in Big Sky, Montana and routed up through hiking trails, ski runs, and mountain bike routes. The first half of the race went about as perfect as I could have hoped for. I was picking up a lot of ground and sticking near the front. Once I hit mile 15-ish and the scree/talus fields it was over for me. There just is nothing comparable in KY to train for that terrain or altitude. Most of the race was over 9000 feet and a lot of gnarly climbs. Dehydration set in about halfway. I had underestimated the exposure of being above tree line and overestimated what would be available at the aid stations for nutrition. But I had no intention of competing for podium or any preconceived notions of what the race would be like. I purely went to run something so far out of my comfort zone for the thrill of it. Most dangerous, beautiful, and challenging run of my life. I am stoked I went and would do it again in a heartbeat.

How many ultras have you run?  What was your first?
I have officially run 5 ultras. I have done a number of them during training to get time on my feet, but officially competed in 5. My first was the White River 50 Miler in Baker/Snoqualmie National Park near Seattle, WA.

What led you to run longer than a marathon?
I always half-heartedly said I would run a marathon one day and a friend of mine introduced me to the world of ultras back in 2017. Once I saw that this world existed, a marathon never quite interested me again. My first race was the 50 miler and I’ve never looked back. Best decision I’ve ever made.

Other than The Rut what has been your most memorable run/race or races and share a little about at least one of them?
My most memorable would have to be Burning River 100 Miler. My first and only to date, with the hopes of more on the near horizon. Emotionally, there are few experiences in my life I have invested so heavily in. 100-mile races have always been the feat of interest, so I wanted to do my absolute best the moment I got into that distance. Also, having friends going to compete against from around the country, a favorable course, a Western States Qualifier on the line, and a major intrinsic goal made the entire race something special. I ran with everything I had and was going to make my sub-20-hour goal until I broke down just after mile 80. From there, with my goal out of reach and a bit frustrated with myself I wanted to quit and refocus on the next one. My three amazing friends crewing me wouldn’t take that. I owe everything in that race to Emily, Ari, and Dan. They got my feet moving and walked with me, covering the last 20 miles in 10 hours. It was a spiritual experience as much as it was a physical one. I cannot wait to do the distance again and achieve my goals.

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
The long run, of course. I enjoy a good tempo run, hills, and fartleks, but I focus much more at time on my feet and keep those harder intensity workouts pretty spaced out.

What does a regular week of training look like?
Race crew:Dan Flori, Ari Flory and Emily Blain
A lot of double days, at least an hour in the morning and at night. When I’m training for my 100 efforts, I like to at least equal the race distance. So, Monday and Tuesday are two-a-days, longer singular effort on Wednesday, two-a-days on Thursday and Friday, long group run on Saturday (generally 18+ miles), and an individual long effort on Sunday (18+ miles). Again, the major aim is time on my feet versus miles and mimicking the race conditions as closely as possible.

How about a favorite route you like to run?
In Elizabethtown I love to hit Buffalo Lake Trail. Outside of town I’m a big fan of getting out to Bernheim Forest and have a handful of routes out there that I absolutely love. I’ve been fortunate to get out to Red River Gorge and absolutely love exploring out there. My favorite routes of all have been out in Washington state when I first got into ultras and began training out there. I love mountain running, so the more climbing and single track, the better.

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Favorite training runs are around that 15-mile to 18-mile effort. I can put in a really fun and fast effort or take it super casual with a group of friends. You’ve put in a solid day and earned a massive lunch afterward. It’s a blast.  Favorite race distance now is the 100-mile race. It’s the biggest puzzle I’ve been blessed with solving and I love the game and challenge.

What shoes do you currently run in and what do you like about them?
I’ve been pretty religious about being in Altra. I do a lot of running in the Superior 4s, Vanish XCs, and Torin 4 Plush. Recently, I’ve picked up a pair of Hoka One One Clifton 5s and Speedgoat 2s. The Speedgoat 2s are my current favorite. They saved my butt at the Rut and I’ve just had a blast adjusting to them. They’re super grippy and I feel like I just mow over everything in my path. My favorite runs ever have happened in my EarthRunner Sandals and my Vanish XCs. I absolutely love to feel the ground and like I’m flying. Best of both worlds, I guess.

Pre-race relaxation
How about diet, do you eat any certain way and do things change on race week and race day?
I’m a vegan, so I’m about as cognizant of diet whether I’m in training mode or not. Race week I’m a bit more aware of getting in the right mix of macros, focusing heavily on my good fats and my high-quality carbs. I try to stay away from too much processed food and refined sugar, but I do allow myself to live a little when the situation allows for it. During training there is a major focus on making sure I get enough of the right kinds of protein so that I can maintain recovering as best as possible. I am now making an even more determined push to buy local, in-season, and as waste free as possible. I’m a major environmentalist and feel it is imperative we all make major efforts to be as conscious of our consumption habits as possible.

Do you have any long-range plans or goals with regards to running and life in general?
I’d like to get to the point of being routinely competitive at the 100-mile distance. I don’t aim to be sponsored or have any professional ambition, but as a competitor and adventurer I like to push boundaries and see what heights those around me and myself can get to. Almost like a competition as a team of individuals. Pushing is why we do any of this.  

In life, we shall see. I like to follow the flow of the universe. Right now, the focus is on running, getting back into climbing, and building out a camper van. Share love and good times, that’s about it.

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
The community, especially around Running Soles, has been amazing. They’re so supportive, loving, it’s a massive family. We are always spending time together and pushing each other to get to the places we want to go, it’s anything and everything for the tribe. Moving back to KY after living in the Pacific Northwest for my adult life has been a blast. I am getting to truly explore everything outside my backyard like I never could as a kid. My feet have taken me some really cool places and helped me meet some really rad people.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
I’d love to go back to SE Asia and run out there. Colorado is on the bucket list. I get to go run in Yosemite and Albuquerque in a few weeks. Next year I’ll get to run in Africa while visiting my sister in the Peace Corps. Other than that, I’d say Alaska and Europe. Honestly, I could sit here and list every state, territory, province, or country. I want to run it all.

Do you have any bucket list races?
- Cruel Jewel 100
- Western States 100
- UTMB
- Badwater 135
- Capadoccia Ultra Trail
That’s on the immediate list for now.

With best friend Garett Combs
What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
Sometimes I can forget why I started running. Late in a training cycle or when I’m pushing myself with nothing on the horizon, I will start to run because I feel like I have to. That’s when I know it’s time to run a new route, leave the watch at home, or just shut it down and focus on something else. Never lose the love and let running become a job. Sometimes, focusing on the races, the consumer culture around it, and some of the goals pushes the pure love of moving through space and time to the back of the priority list. That’s when I know it’s time to get my head right again and shake things up.

What do you see as a trend in running?
I think people are started to push longer and harder. The sport is really opening up to everybody, which I love. People are knocking down personal boundaries left and right. When the individual becomes better individually, they become better for the whole. We are fighting more for nature, fighting to spend time in the world, fighting to be better, and fighting to go further. That’s what this life is all about, being better today for tomorrow. I think the growth is massively encouraging and I love seeing the love for miles spread.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
“Fail, fail again, fail better.”
- Pema Chödrön
Don’t focus on anything but the love for each moment. You signed up for the race, you chose the miles, you made these decisions because a part of you wanted to be here, to see who you are when pushed for something greater. The worst part is your favorite part. Stay disciplined, stay focus, stay moving, stay happy.

Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
If people really want, they can follow my adventures on Instagram (@eddie_bare). It’s the only social media I have. I’m not big into it, but I have been better as I’ve gotten older at making an effort to share my reality with those that care to find it.

Any closing comments?
Thanks for listening, for reading, love everything and everybody, and let’s go for a run sometime!


********You can see past interviews here********



No comments:

Post a Comment