Monday, October 7, 2019

Training Overview #17 – Week of Sept 30 thru Oct 6, 2019 – Time to Rest - 9 Days to R2R2R

Overview:
As I get closer to the R2R2R we are doing on October 16th the goal is to keep loose but also get some rest.  I have found for me doing nothing is not a good taper but then again I have to be careful to not do too much.  To that end I have done more walking. The last two weeks  One of those days was more of a long day on my feet at work constantly walking back and forth between buildings – about 3 miles but too much time on my feet.  As far as riding I have found it is a good way to get the my legs loose without undue pounding on them.

My two runs this week were all at a relaxed Perceived Effort (PE) but I did find my early morning run on Friday was faster then planned but felt good.  On both runs my foot was sore but not as bad as in the past so still looking good for the Grand Canyon.  The key when tapering and running is to make sure to realize you can gain nothing but can lose a lot if you get injured so that is the fine line to tread.  As I mentioned above I have found tapering and doing next to nothing  does not work but since I like to keep active I do have to be careful not to over do it.  In looking at my milage for the week it is almost split in half with running and walking.  For me walking is hard to get my mind around as I just do not do it but truth is not only does it keep things loose, without the pounding, it is important for me to walk more in preparing for long trail runs/races as walking is a key component in many of them.  I have found I am not the most efficient walkers but then again I do not practice walking but I do find the more I do it the faster I seem to go with the same effort.  The take away from this is that if walking may be part of your run/race then you need to practice it and I need to do so.  But, also as I shared, walking is a good way to get a few easy miles in and loosen up the legs while minimizing the pounding and also using your muscles a little differently.

With regards to this weeks riding on Tuesday I did a shorter ride of 25+ and in this included a 10 Mile tempo.  The reason for this ride was to get my legs loosed up with a little harder effort.  Again, riding does not pound my legs and does not quite have the soreness after a hard effort.  Thus it was a good ride. That had its intended result.  Saturdays ride was a longer one but as I limited the hills it was a good ride to spin a little more than I usually do but not be out too long.  At 61 miles it was not a short run and wanted to ride further but thought better of it so was about the right length.  One thing I have noticed over the last year is that what I once saw as a long ride now seems much shorter – a great sign my endurance is greatly improving.  Once done with the ride I felt great – sure I felt the ride but no soreness and the right kind of tiredness.

Relive 'SGRT Ride'


Diet:
Nothing special for this week as pretty much my normal 100-150grams of carbs a day intake but did have a couple treats this week.  Good part was not side affects with them so all good.  As far as the ride on Saturday had my usual pre-long run or ride fueling and as with the last few rides I had a minimal intake of calories.  Not so much a restriction but all I needed.  While I had two water bottles with 2 scoops of SFuels, I have mentioned this before but am an Ambassador for them and have been with them pretty much since they started, in each I only drank one of them as was done before it got too hot.  Calorie in take with the one bottle of SFuels-Train was 100 Calories with 2 grams total of carbs.

While not diet related, and I will be upfront that I am an ambassador for them, I also used for the long ride.  I usually only use it for longer runs and rides or if I have a shorter run or ride that will be hard.   The lotion helps with how my legs feel both during the run or ride and also after as the Bicarb that is absorbed transdermally deals with buffering acids in the muscles.  Probably would use more often but  as traveling and did not want to use it up and not have any left for my run at the Grand Canyon coming up as  I am working away from home and going straight form here to the Grand Canyon.
AMPHuman PR Lotion

Pre-Ride:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
  • ½ Cup of Oatmeal with Bitter and heavy cream
Ride Fueling;
  • 1 24 OZ bottle of water with 2 scoops of SFuels-Train ( 100 Cals & 2 Grams Carbs)
Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –    18.6 Miles ( 10.1 Running - 8.5 Walking)
  • Riding Miles –   86.9 Miles
  • Total Time –  8:48  Hours
September Monthly Totals:
  • Running Miles: 103.5 Miles
  • Riding Miles: 355.9 Miles
  • Total Time: 38:22:12
Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
Was about the week I expected except for Thursday where I ended up having a very long day at work on my feet where I walked at least 3 miles so did not ride that day as planned.  But that is fine as you often have to just go with what was planned.  Even realized that y ride Saturday was just short of 100K as I was looking for a 60 miler so was good with the mileage but if my OCD had realized I was close to 100K I am sure I would have talked some on  Still have some soreness in my right foot, ankle area where my Navicular/posterior tibial tendon issue is, but better than it has been.  Hoping over 9 more days it will be even better.

For this coming week I will not run more than 4 miles when I run and may even walk some depending on how things feel.  Probably will only run 3 days and ride 2 days with the last ride on Saturday.  The Saturday ride will be no more than 40-50 miles and easy as I am looking to ride with a friend before I leave.  Tuesday or Thursdays ride will only be 25 miles and also easy just to keep my legs moving.  After Saturday I head to AZ next Sunday then off to the Grand Canyon  on Tuesday the 12th and the run on the 13th.


As always if you have questions let me know in the comments below.


Last Week's Overview #16






No comments:

Post a Comment