Friday, October 25, 2019

Weekly RunDown #161


“I don’t stop when I’m tired. 
I stop when I’m done.”
David Goggins

I missed putting out a Weekly RunDown last week as I was out having my own adventure - here is the run report on my R2R2R from last week (Oct 16, 2019)

iRunFar.com's This Week in Running: Oct 21, 2019

LetsRun.com's The Week that Was in Running: Oct 14-20, 2019

The Fast Women Newsletter #42: Oct 21, 2019

Shalane Flanagan retires from Pro running and more here and here

The Big Dog Backyard Ultra is completed and was won this year by Maggie Guteri - here is a Twitter account of the race.  Also, here is the report from Canadian Running.  If your not sure what the Big Dog Ultra is then read here

Those of you that know me know I have been working on being "fat adapted" or gaining "metabolic flexibility" for some time and it works.  In this post/video Peter Defty talks about "Optimized Fat Metabolism" and Mitochondria Health.  Yes he sells Vespa, but that does in no way take away from the great info provided that can be used whether you use Vespa or not.

Some thoughts on tapering - my views have fluctuated but lately have found I need to be more active rather than shut things down to "rest."  Active rest works best for me.  For example I did a 53 mile bike ride at a relaxed pace 4 days before I ran the Grand Canyon and felt fine since riding puts little stress on mu legs as long as I work to spin gears and not mash them.  Bottom line is tapering not only takes some trial and error it can change for you over time and depending on circumstances.

A good look at the 5 principles behind the Arthur Lydiard training methodology

Team USA gets three gold medals at the NACAC Mountain Running Championships in Mexico

If you feel tired for a couple days in a row maybe it is time to back-off some - no real virtue in running tired.

John Kelly took some heat for his comments on Eliud Kipchoge's organized and unofficial sub 2hr Marathon - here he explains his thoughts on the run and I think does a good job of doing so.

And here is Toni Reavis' thoughts on the 1:59

Hmm, sounds sort of familiar, except not sure I am going to do a 1600K bike race any time soon.  I would disagree that a 24mile run is comparable to a 1000k (600 miles) ride as I usually look at three times the run distance, or so - may a 100 miler depending on speed and course.

Preview of the men's individual 24 Hour World Championships, and men's Team preview, in Albi France that takes place this weekend.  Here is the Facebook page for the US Team.  Here is the women's team preview and women's individual preview.  Here is the US teams FB page

A report on the No Business 100 that is right here in my backyard in Kentucky - maybe it should be called the No Easy 100 as the area has some tough terrain.

Rob's podcast on his run at the Moab 240

This article sort of rings true to me in that when we train we not only have to look at the event but our bodies and even our history in running.  I was able to run a R2R2R not at FKT speed but not slow on low running milage and long bike rides - not because I am special - but because I have been doing this along time.  We live in a world where everyone wants results NOW but running, and riding, may come to some people quickly but to most of it takes time and each year builds on the next.  Hmm, I think I see a post coming:)

Vertical racing is on the rise, pun should be intended, and where will it lead - how extreme is too extreme?

Here is the third in a series on using poles in Ultras - if you missed it here is Part 1 and Part 2

This looks like a good marathon (road), not easy but is one I would for sure do if I could - Snowdonia Marathon


Masters News
Above I put my run report for my R2R2R from this past Wednesday and how that relates to masters running is that the three of us were 50, 51 and me being the senior of the group at 60.


Local, to Kentucky, Races and Events
(If you have a race in the area, including surrounding states, let me know and I will post about it)

Running groups are a great way to get to know people but also a great way to help you progress and get out and run.  If you are in the Elizabethtown KY area check out the Running Soles Group and if you are closer to Campbellsville check out the Campbellsville Running  Club.  There is now a running group starting over in Burkesville, for info check out their FB Page- Burkesville Running Club.  Have another local running group in KY let me know and I will list it.

Check out these Race Companies for local races: Good Times Even Services & Central Kentucky Race Management.  For trail and Ultra races in Kentucky and Virginia check out Next Opportunity Events

Want to do a fun race before you dig into the days festivities then how about the Pilgrimage in the Park at Pulaski County Park in Nancy Kentucky on November 28, 2019. Did it last year but will be out of town this year but highly recommend this one. Great trails and great people.

In it's second year is the Falls 100 Ultra Trail Race (also a 50, Marathon and 1/2 Marathon as well as a 100 mile relay) - Run at the Falls of the Rough Resort in KY December 7, 2020

Looking for other races around the world, here is where I get most of the ones I list: ahotuMarathons (covers the world), American Trail Running Assoc.  (Mostly US but does have other races on the list),  Running  in the USA & Trail Runner Magazine


Races this Coming Week
Judy Walden 5k, Elizabethtown, KY - Oct 26, 2019
Javelina Jundred, Fountain Hill, AZ - Oct 26, 2019
Annapurna 100, Nepal - Oct 26, 2019
Piedmont 8 Hour, Powhatan St. Pk, VA - Oct 26, 2019
Land Between the Lakes 1/2 Marathon & 10K, Grand Rivers, KY - Oct 26, 2019
IAU 24 Hour World Championships, Albi, France - Oct 26, 2019
Snowdonia Marathon, Llanberis, Wales - Oct 26, 2019
Marine Corps Marathon, Arlington, VA -  Oct 27, 2019


Past Weekend Race Results
SkyMasters, Limone sul Garda, Italy - October 19, 2019
Cappadocia Ultra-Trail, Cappadocia, Turkey - Oct 19, 2019
Big's Backyard Ultra, Bell Buckle, TN - Oct 19-21, 2019
Moab 240, Moab, UT - Oct 11, 2019
Lake Tahoe Marathon+, Lake Tahoe, NV - Oct 11-13, 2019
Ironman World Championships, Kona, HI - Oct 12, 2019
NoBusiness 100,  Stearns, KY - Oct 12, 2019
La Course des Templiers, France - Oct 11, 2019
Cave Creek Thriller, Cave Creek, AZ - Oct 12, 2019
Cloudsplitter 100,  Norton, VA - Oct 12, 2019
Chicago Marathon, Chicago, Il - Oct 13, 2019
Humboldt Redwoods Marathon, Eureka, CA - Oct 13, 2019


Run at Lockett Meadow the day before our R2R2R to see the fall colors


While also linked to in my R2R2R report here is the video of our day in pictures


SkyMasters 2019 Highlights


2019 Migu Run Skyrunner World Series Season


2019 NACAC Mountain Running Championships Recap


Another recap of the UTMB 2019


Is there anything this kid cannot do


As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Club and join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFues-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also download the updated Get Started guide at the site.











No comments:

Post a Comment