Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Interview Tuesday - Kentuckian and Masters Runner George Corder

Tell us a little about yourself not necessarily related to running: age, where born, education, area you live in, etc…..
I was born in Somerset KY in 1965.  I grew up in Somerset and attended the city schools.  Graduated from University of Kentucky in 1990 with a business Econ degree.  I had post education training in Microsoft Curriculum and attained the level of Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.

What is your profession?
I am Sr Vice President - CTO at Citizens National Bank.  I began my career there in February 2003.

How did you start running and what prompted you to do so?
It wasn’t until I was out of college that I took up running on a consistent basis.  My two daughters were running track for Hopkins Elementary and during their end of year banquet, the running coach asked that everyone take a pamphlet with a signup form for the Cool Run 5k in June of 2009.  He stated that they received the majority of their track and cross-country team funding from this race.  I thought I would take some to work and pass out to people and decided I should try and participate too.  So that was my very first official race.

How long have you been running?
Only since the Cool Run 5k in June 2009, so ~ 11 years.

Did you participate in any other sports over the years?
I played baseball in High School, skied on the UK Water Ski Team, practiced some martial arts - Krav Maga.  I have enjoyed road cycling with most rides greater than 18 miles.  I am currently training at CrossFit Ignis in Somerset.

Did you run in grade school, High School or College? If so where?
No, I didn’t.  I suppose I saved some wear and tear on the body having not.

So we get an idea of where you have been with running can you share your PR’s for: 5K, 10K marathon and any other distance you may have run in the past.
  • 1st 5k 27:17
  • PR  5k 21:04
  • PR 10k 43:54
  • PR half marathon 1:37
  • PR marathon 3:38
What is your most memorable race or races and share a little about at least one of them? 
My most memorable races would have to be my first race ever (5k) and my first marathon.

The first 5k, also my first race, was such a foreign experience to me.  I had no idea about pacing or how to maintain a moderate effort.  Gaining the experience that comes with many miles logged from long runs, intervals, speed workouts and hills, is simply learned over time.  It comes slowly but is highly valuable and rewarding to you as you improve your running success.  I was just elated to cross the finish line and was hooked from that point.

My first marathon was memorable because of the accomplishment of having ran over 26 miles.  I don’t know if the 26.2 miles was nearly as memorable as the 19ish mile marker gorilla that climbed on my back and caused my calves to surge with cramps from that point until the finish line, ha ha.

Do you have a favorite workout you do?
My favorites would have to be hill repeats or hill work. 

Do you run with a group or run mostly on your own? 
I run with a group Bourne to Run.  I am fortunate to have the friendship and camaraderie of an extraordinarily hard working and devoted group of running friends.  This actually makes all of the workouts enjoyable.

What does a regular week of training look like?
Mainly CrossFit right now approximately 3-5 days per week. We do quite a bit of shorter distances under fatigue (200m to 700m)   This fitness routine has required more sleep for recovery so I am not making the 5:00 AM morning runs with the group as frequent as I had been.

How about a favorite route you like to run?
South Main to North Main hill route or East Hwy 80 up Sugar Hill and out Pumphouse Road

What is your favorite distance to run and race?
Half marathon

What shoes do you run in and what do you like about them?
Altra Torin – zero drop and wide toe box - quality made shoe.

How about diet, do you eat any certain way and do things change on race week and race day?
I really like to have something on my stomach whether it is a training day or race.  I try and eat clean.  Typical foods I eat: old fashioned oatmeal, almond butter, blue berries, greens, chicken, beef, eggs, salmon, almonds and walnuts, apples, bananas, chili, celery, tomatoes, butter and whole milk.  No soft drinks.

Do you have any long-range plans?
I would like to do the 50k Yamacraw or some other Ultra distance race out west.

What do you like best about living and running in KY?
The fact that the terrain is not completely flat.  I also enjoy the mixed seasons and temperature variations.

Anywhere else you would like to visit to run?
Within the Redwood National Park and also to run a race in Arizona.

Do you have any bucket list races?
The Dipsea trail race

What do you struggle with most with regards to running?
I really don’t struggle with much but I have learned that you’ll have good days and bad.  You have to accept that and you have to listen to your body.  The big thing for me is to learn to take time off for recovery.  It is a runner’s worst nag to not ‘get to run today’ due to hurting somewhere and having to take time off to heal.

What do you see as a trend in running? High tech shoes with more cushioning.  It seems the minimalist shoe design has swung the other way now.

I believe people are getting outdoor more due to excessive time inside staring at a computer monitor. Running seems to be a good sport to get into regardless of your current shape.  You can begin with run/walking and the cost of picking the sport up is not all that expensive.

If you had one, well maybe two or three, things to say those that are running to encourage them what would it be?
  • Run with someone and keep each other accountable.  
  • Pick out a race that you can achieve and train together for this.  
  • Take your running shoes with you on vacation and don’t get off of your training, even if you go to the treadmill in the hotel – get on it and get 3-5 miles in.   
  • Search out a local running group and meet with them on their weekly runs.  You will meet some great individuals who are motivated and will be a positive, healthy influence on you.
Do you have a website or other social media site you would like to share?
I personally don’t.

Any closing comments?
God has given you a remarkable machine, your body.  We must take advantage of every day.  There is nothing better than running in the morning and seeing the sunrise or the red-lined sky of a sunset.  To hear the first birds singing as Spring approaches while you’re breathing in that cool dense fresh air.  It is such a blessing to say “I get to run today”.  Cherish your two legs if you have them, some people do not.  Eat well and in all things, moderation.



********You can see past interviews here********


No comments:

Post a Comment