Monday, May 4, 2020

Training Overview #46 – The Lydiard Approach - Week of April 27 thru May 3, 2020

Spectators During Tuesday's Half-Marathon Run
Training Thoughts: 
This week I signed up to take the Lydiard Level 1 & 2 Coaches Certification Courses .  Not sure if coaching is in the future, it has been a thought of mine for some time, but with the current work situation it is always good to have options and Lorraine Moller – yes that Lorraine Moller – helped me so I couple work things out to take the course.  Even if I do not end up coaching I think the course will be helpful as while I have in general followed the Lydiard Approach it is good to get the info straight from the source.  The Lydiard Method is not simply for running as the principles can be applied to just about any endurance sport.  Many have taken an aspect that Lydiard taught and run with it but his ideas were more of a grid for a plan than an an actual detailed plan that was for all as you take the principles and develop a more individualized approach based on the person.

Those principles are as follows and this is just a general overview as I understand them but for sure will know more after the classes:

General Conditioning First – This is the “aerobic” or “base” phase where the foundation is laid and while the runs are to be relaxed and can be at varied paces - again but relaxed.  Of course more takes place here but the point is the solid base is set for what is to follow

Response Regulated Training/Adaption – This deals with adjusting ones training based on how one responds to the training stimulus – “Train don’t strain.”  This can be done via feel, which is the next point, or ones HRM but again this principle requires that one be open to changing effort and distance based on how one is progressing.

Feeling Based Training – While seemingly similar to the last point this one asks that the athlete work to be able to intuitively adjust as necessary such that HRM and such are not as necessary.  The athlete is to develop in such a way as to know his/her body so as to get the most out of it and avoid overtraining.

Sequential Development/The Lydiard Pyramid – This one is interesting as it looks at the aspects of training sequentially and by this, for example, instead of doing hills, fartlek and intervals all in the same week you do them in particular phases of your training.  Thus you are working on each part of the build blocks that work to a peak one at a time.

Peaking – Lastly is the top of the pyramid built on a well prepared base is the peak and this is the idea that you sharpen for whatever your goal is.  How many peaks one can have in a year may be debatable but it is difficult to be at ones peak all the time so the idea, again, is to work back from a goal event and plan for a peak or a number of them.

Think about those 5 principles and how they can apply to your training as I think they are all equally important to help create a successful training plan.  I will be elaborating more on them in the future after I take the class and will actually be doing a review of the class as well once I am done.  Bottom line is the Lydiard Approach is a set of principles and while specifics can be applied to each one they may be different for each person and event but the ideas cross over them all.  As sort of mentioned above I want to not only work to see how I can apply these principles to running and riding but also how I can apply them for each discipline concurrently.  I can easily see how if one only ran or only rode how to use the principles is pretty straight forward but how to use them when one runs and rides, even throw in swimming, to create a successful multi-faceted plan.  If you are like me you tend to look at each sport individually but if you do both and compete in both the goal is to see how they each work for the good of the other.  More to follow on this.

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
This was my biggest riding mileage week (269.9) in a very, very long time that also ended my best month (901.4) and with a 30 day totals (986.6) for riding as well- after Saturdays long ride which was on May 2nd.  This on top of my longest running week in a while (21.3) on just two runs made this a good week and ending this week with a good long ride made for some good training.

Riding wise I started the week with a fairly flat Zwift ride of 67 miles and then on Wednesday, after a short warm-up, did the usual BMTR Mid-Week ride at a good tempo pace for a daily total of 45.4 miles and then followed up with an easy Zwift ride of 47 miles on Thursday.  No real hard rides for the week even though the Mid-Week ride was quick and had some hills but I had set a limit I was to stay at so some rode away from me as I did not want to go over 300 watts on the climbs.  I ended the week with a 110 mile ride with 5574ft of elevation.  After a good week of riding, and running I was a little tired at the start of the ride.  Weather started at about 54F on Saturday but ended up in the mid 80’s with a good amount of wind.  The ride was a little slower than the last time I did the ride about a month ago, going 18.5mph as compared to 19 last time but with the wind and heat not too bad a ride.  It was one of those winds that seemed to be swirly and always be a headwind but did get a few sections of tailwind but in general he wind did play some mind games.  Saturday's ride had me finishing the week, and starting the month ,with my 9th century - 7 on Zwift and two outdoors.

This week I ran my current 2 runs a week but started with a half-marathon on Tuesday.  Plan was to not push it but run relaxed and for the most part that was how the run went.  Then came my meeting with an angry dog, what is it with dogs lately, that did not just come out to bark and see what is up but the second he saw me made a beeline for me and did not stop till it got its teeth into me shoe.  Fortunately he just got the edge of the sole of my shoe and no skin but got enough to take me down and that did take off some skin.  I had pepper spray and as it was windy I did not get the dog with the first try but as it got my foot I think I did get some on him as he left to rub it out.  I got up and while sore finished off the run at a good pace but was pretty sore when done.  At least this was the other side from what got hurt last week on my bike when a dog came out.  Not a good 8 days for dogs but at least on the long ride this week while there were a few dogs they were not an issue even though I have to admit on rides and runs I am anxious about dogs lately.  Finished the week with an 8 miler at a relaxed pace to up my running mileage some from the past week.  The best part was that while I could feel some soreness in my foot for the most part it felt pretty good and best of all where in the past a run, especially a longer one, would leave a lingering pain this was not so this week.

Again, this was a good week of riding and running that in essence is base building but due to not having any races is more of a maintenance week.  I did feel a little tired by the end of the week but expected with the mileage I got in.  The basic plan is to finish of May with some good mileage and then take a very easy week the first week in June then start my training for the Kentucky Gravel Championships (63 miles) and Steamboat Springs Gravel Race (140 miles) at the beginning of August and the Boston  - if it happens – in September.

Tuesday’s Half-Marathon



Saturday’s Long Ride


Weeks Training:
- Monday: Ride – 67.14 Miles
- Tuesday: Run – 13.29 Miles
- Wednesday: Ride – 10.08 Miles Warmup  & 35.26 BMTR Mid-Week Ride  - Total 45.34
- Thursday: Ride – 47.2 Ride
- Friday: Run -  8.04 Miles
- Saturday: Ride – 110.28 Miles
- Sunday:  Rest

Weekly Totals:
- Running Miles – 21.3 Miles
- Running Time -  3:00 Hours
- Riding Miles – 269.9 Miles
- Riding Time -  12:57 Hours
- Total Miles – 291.2 Miles
- Total Time –  15:57 Hours

April Totals:
- Running Miles – 71.8 Miles
- Running Time – 10:13:34 Hours
- Riding Miles – 901.4 Miles
- Riding Time – 42:07:02 Hours
- Total Miles – 973.2 Miles
- Total Time –  52:20:36 Hours

Diet Notes:
All but two workouts this week were done fasted and one of those was still low on carbs.  Both runs were done fasted as were my Monday and Thursday rides.  For my ride Wednesday, which was going to be a little faster, I went in fasted but did have one bottle of SFuels Train to drink as knew would be riding for a little over 2 hours and even with a fan it gets pretty warm.  SFuels Train is low carb with the calories coming from fat and has electrolytes so works well.  Felt pretty good on all the fasted workouts even if at some point felt hungry but not in a way that was detrimental to the workout.

Below you can see my pre-ride, and ride, fueling for my long run Saturday.  As I was a little tired from a long week and the wind was going pretty good I did take in a few extra carbs on this ride.  I tried the Untapped waffle and while it tasted good and nice to have a little different texture to take in it was pretty dry, especially for a hot day, and needed some extra water.  It is also pretty crumbly so not sure it would be good take on the move as I ate it at a stop to refill my water.  I still think the Maurten gels are a good source of concentrated carbs as just easy to take in.  AsI have stated before I do not take the gels constantly and rely on the SFuels Race+ but use them strategically and that is usually on a hard section or just if having a bad spell.  All that said this was still a fat adapted ride as you can see the total calories and total carbs were low for a long ride but truth is while I did have a bad spell – mostly mentally from the wind – I finished strong and could have done some extra miles if I wanted to but being out for 6 hours was the goal for the day and did that.

Need to still work on fueling for even longer rides as I do notice that all liquid calories gets me sort of bloated after a while – especially on a hot day where I drink more.  The goal on a longer ride is to make sure I do not get too depleted as once depleted it is hard to catch up and for a 140-200 mile ride that is not a good thing.  Not sure I can imagine just sucking down liquid non-stop for 200 miles so that is going to be something I will be working on for Steamboat Springs as it is 140 miles at altitude so will be along ride with all the climbs and at 7000ft or more for most of it.

Saturday’s Ride Fueling
Pre-Ride Fueling:

- Coffee with Coconut Oil and Butter, Collagen, Heavy Cream, Chocolate Primal Fuel (1 Scoop) & 1 Scoop SFuels-Life
 – Total (659.3/15)
- 1 Vespa 
- ½ Cup of Oatmeal and Raisins
- 1 Altred (Beetroot Extract)


- Also use the AMPHuman PR Lotion
- Total:  810.9 Cals & 48.6 gr Carbs

Ride Fueling;

- 2ea of 24oz bottle with 2 scoops of SFuels Train
- 2ea of 24oz bottles wit 1 package each of SFuels Race+ 
- 1 Altred at 2.5 hours and 4 hours
- 2  S!Caps at 2.5 hours and 4 Hours
- 2 Vespa (1 at 2.5 hours and 1 at 4 hours)
- F-Bomb Nut Butter 
- 1 Maurten Gel
- 1 Untapped Coffee/Maple Syrup Waffle 
- Totals:  Calories 916 – Carbs - 90 g

The Week Ahead:
For the next week I plan on about the same riding and running mileage but will not be doing the longer ride on Saturday so will spread about the miles more and probably get in a couple two a days on the bike.  Not sure if I will be doing any races this week but will probably do the usual mid-week BMTR ride as it is at a good pace but not all out so fits the plan for now.  As far as a second ride in the day I am hoping to get in a gravel ride or two this week but sort of depends on the weather.  I still have time to get in some gravel for KGC and Steamboat but as, if all goes well, I will be in CA for work for all of July I need to get in some gravel before then.

For running I will look for about 23 miles and probably do it in 2 longer runs and one shorter one that will probably be done on a riding day.  If feeing good may do only two runs but will see how my foot feels.  Goal right now is to get my legs and foot ready for longer runs but also make sure it is getting better and it is.


Last Week's Overview #45

As a reminder, you can join the SFuels Strava Triathlon Club, Running Club and/or Cycling Club - Signup for them all if you like.  Join others on the LCHF for Endurance journey

Also, check out the whole line of SFuels products: SFuels Life , SFuels-Train and SFuels-Race products.  Also, just back after reformulating them are SFuel LIFE Bars.  You can also access the new QuickStart Guide.




If you want to try AmpHuman use code 



No comments:

Post a Comment