Monday, August 26, 2019

Training Overview #11 – Week of August 19 thru 25, 2019 – Time for a New Age Group

Overview:
Well the time came and now I get to move up to the 60+ age group and leave the 50+ to those younger guys

The plan for this week was to  ride 60 miles for my 60th birthday and that was accomplished Thursday and it felt pretty good.  I started the ride fasted, just a cup of coffee and small amount of cream for taste, then during the ride ate ¼ of a UCAN bar and ¾ of a 20oz water bottle of SFuels Race formula.  While I was tired when done I did not have any low energy feelings during the ride.  I rode this ride at a relaxed tempo and only really rode hard for one small section where I got a KOM.  Was happy to average over 19MPH for a ride on my own.  While the ride did not have a lot of elevation much of what there was is often steep, yet short.  Funny how short and steep climbs can lower your average speed.

Relive '60 @ 60 B’day Ride'

Also, for this week as upping my running miles to 30+ in four days of running and also accomplished that goal.  To do this I started the week with a 9 miler and then was at 21 miles by Wednesday.  All these runs were done at a relaxed comfortable pace.   Part of the plan for the week was to run 2 trail races on Saturday, a 5K followed by a 10K.  After the miles already run and the ride I was a little tired going into the races but that was part of the plan.

The race set up was to run the 5K first starting at 7:30AM and then start the 10K at 8:30AM so the rest one got was relative to how fast you ran the 5K.  I knew right from the start of the 5K speed was not going to be the order of the day.  The miles for the week and the lack of working at running fast showed itself.  For the 5K I went with the first two runners for a short time but then realized I just needed to relax and run at a pace slightly faster than comfortable, which I did.  The course at Pulaski County Part is a fun one that does not have big elevation but is hard in that it is rarely flat and undulates quite a bit.  I ran the 5K (actually 3.3+ miles) in 28 :41 so had 31+ minutes rest before the 10K.  During the 5k I got a good sized blister on my heel that tore so changed shoes for the 10K and did not feel too bad.  I ended up 3rd OA for the 5K.

Relive 'Edurus 5K Trail Run'

For the 10K I had decided to just run my own race and keep the pace sustainable so did not go with the leaders.  They quickly were out of site and could not see anyone behind me so had a nice 52 :51 minute run by myself.  The 10K included a good climb to get to the 5K point so was even more tiring but was a good run.  I kept a steady pace thinking the lead guys were off in the distance somewhere – only to see the 3rd place runner about a minute ahead on one area of the trail that cut back on the main road.  By then it was too late to catch up as the 2nd place runner was just in front of him as well.  I was pretty pleased that I was actually closer time wise to the 2nd and 3rd place guys than I was in the 5K which showed I ran a pretty steady paced run.  I ended up 4th OA for this run and since the 2 guys in front of me were the same ones as in the 5K was 3rd OA in the combined race.

Relive 'Edurus 10K Trail Race'

After the race the blister  on my heel was not good and my legs were sore.  I did a mile cool down that helped some but I could feel my right foot, the one that gives me trouble, was pretty sore.  Once I drove home I did start to feel the soreness even more in my legs and especially in my right foot – and this progressed to the next day.   I think that some of the issue is not having run any trails like I ran Saturday  and so my ankles were stressed more than normal.  The fact my left foot feels better than the right also links the issue to the tightness in my right side that I still need to work on.

The races on Saturday show my need for more than road runs to get my ankles ready for Octobers R2R2R.  As I am off to CA in a couple weeks I will need to make sure I get those trail runs in while there.  Also, a good chance that, at least for now, my right foot is just going to feel uncomfortable come October and after the run.

Diet Notes:
Nothing in particular to report here other than as usual did all my runs and rides fasted, except for coffee with heavy cream.

Pre-Running Race Fueling:
Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Raw Egg, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel
One 20oz bottle of water with 2 scoops SFuels Training Formula
One Maurten 100 Gel between races
Also drank some SFuels Race Formula before and between races

Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  33.1
  • Riding Miles – 60.3
  • Total Time – 7:57
Conclusions and the Week Ahead:
The big take-away this week was that my right foot is not all the way there.  It has some soreness running on the road but the trail really accentuates the weakness in it that I need to build up.  Riding is going well and really helping with endurance but need to add in some intervals both on the bike and running after I do the R2R2R so as to work on speed that is lacking

The goal for this week is to run roughly the same miles as last week – 30+.  I was going to up my running miles but with my foot being sore will stay at 30+ for another week.  Also with regards to riding  the plan for next week is to ride the Green River Century and then when done go back over the last part of the curse to get an extra 50 miles so as to get 150 miles for the day.  Hope to ride the century at about 18-19MPH then just ride the extra 50 at around 17-18MPH.  While I have speed goals the biggest goal is time in the saddle and also working on the mental aspect as I am sure finishing the Century then going back out will be tough – we shall see.  In getting ready for the R2R2R in the October I will probably only have one more long bike ride after this to let me run more.  Of course this all may change depending on how my feet react.


Last Week's Overview #10






No comments:

Post a Comment