Monday, August 12, 2019

Training Overview #9 – Week of August 5 thru 11, 2019 – KGC Week

Overview:
From a more tamer uphill section


This was a big week for a number of reasons.  First, I got to start back to running and second I was racing the Kentucky Gravel Championships (KGC).

As usual, since my hamstring issue, I had a PT appointment to start the week with Josh Harris at  Somerset Spine & Performance Physiotherapy in Somerset KY to get my usual dry needling as well as check out how my back and hamstring are doing.  While I still cannot touch my toes right away I am much closer and after a number of stretches can usually just get to them.  This was my last appointment for a while so as to work on stretching on my own and see how things go.  Always helpful to have a good PT when you need one and I highly recommend dry needling as it seems to have worked for me – along with other aspects of PT – to deal with my PF a while ago and now my other issues.

Tuesday I did what has become my usual 40 mile ride with some harder sections and was able to get a couple KOMs, one of which I am sure my friend Rodney will soon get back but I was just happy to get my time down on this short step climb.  I also got the KOM on a 2 mile stretch that I know I can still go faster on as did not really go all out but kept a good tempo.

Wednesday I started back to running by doing an easy 3+ miler and while I could tell I had a hamstring, ideally I never notice it, it did not cramp or pull so that was a good things and felt OK when done.  I ran pretty much the same route on Thursday and felt the same – so far so good.  Due to work and getting ready for the KGC on Saturday I did not run Friday.  Then I ran an easy 3.8 miles Sunday to get things moving after Saturday’s bike race and hamstring felt fine.

3rd in 50-59 AG & 26th OA
Saturday was the first gravel, or mtb for that matter, race I had ever done and was basically only my
2nd long ride on any kind of gravel/off-road with the other time being a pre-ride of part of the KGC course.  I did ride about 6-7 miles of easy single track a week ago but all in all this race was outside of my comfort zone due to not being as familiar as I would like to be with the nuances of riding off-road.  While it was referred to as the Kentucky Gravel Championships - and indeed did have a fair amount of gravel and even a few miles of paved roads – the amount of washed out roads, rocks, water and mud made it what one refereed to as “enhanced gravel.”  The decision for the ride was not just about tyre size but gearing and whether a MTB or Gravel bike was better.  For me there was little choice as I only have one bike to use, Orbea Terra with a 2X (50/34 FT & 11/32 Rear), with one tyre choice, 700c X 40, so had to go with what I had.  That said for me it would have been the best choice even if I had an MTB – more on that in a moment.

So how did the race go – while I am always wanting to do better I have to say it went well as I met my goals from last week: Had fun, No flats or mechanicals to stop me, got under 6 hours and ended up 3rd in the 50+ AG and then most importantly did not get any significant injuries – did get a number of bruises and scrapes from a few falls but nothing serious.  As far as actual racing the first few miles, till we hit the gravel and the first descent, was neutral but at a good pace and I stayed in the back of the pack.  Then when we hit the gravel and descent I realized I needed a lot of work on going downhill, steeper ones mostly, as I watched people go away a from me.  I did catch some going back up hill only to lose them again when we hit a downhill on a quite rutted road that took more bike handling than I am used to.  Once down this hill and through the first creek, which I did not make it though without putting a foot down, We hit a uphill road that led to an uphill gravel road and I started catching a few people.  This ended up being how the day went: Lose time to people on steep downhills and technical section, up or down, only to gain time on the road and more tame gravel.  After a while basically went back and forth with the same guys but then in the last 9 miles I was able to pull away and tried to hang on to a couple younger guys who got me on the final long hill and finished about 10 seconds behind them.
Another of the nicer gravel sections - it was not all like this for sure!!!

This back and forth was exactly why my bike was the best for me, maybe could have done with a smaller gearing (larger cog in the back) for the uphill sections.  The reason is even with an MTB I probably would not have gone downhill or uphill any faster but would have lost my advantage on the flatter sections.  Maybe with another frame that would take slightly wider tyres it may have been better to use 42s.  For next year, yes I plan on riding gain next year, right now I would use the same setup again but be better prepared and have done more work on my technique.

One thing I want to add that I noticed the day after the race.  Riding off road uses way more muscles than riding road just as running trails uses more/different muscles than just running on the road.  Sunday morning I awoke sore all over due to the amount of work you have to do to control your bike.  This said I highly suggest if you can to ride off-road, even if not quite as hard as I did, just to use some muscles that rarely get worked during a regular ride or even when you run.  One reason I recommend running trails is it build strength in your feet, ankles, knees and other muscles just running on roads will not do. Long term this cannot be anything but good for you.  I will be keeping up riding some off-road even after the DK200 as want to get better at gravel racing.  Probably will not take up full on MTB riding as just do not have the time but who knows.

Relive 'Kentucky Gravel Championships- 3rd in 50-59 AG'


Diet Notes:
Pretty much a regular week of eating for me.  Not sure if I have mentioned it but one of my main meals is a salad with: dark leafy greens, chicken, blueberries, strawberries, apples, sunflower seeds, gorgonzola and then olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the dressing.  To me this is a great meal as I get protein, and good carbs with a low glycemic index as well as fats in the cheese and olive oil.  As far as other meals I just like to keep the carbs low and do not fear fat or protein.  I do not count carbs as much as just be aware of what I am eating and it seems to be working as my weight seems to stay steady , even though I do not count calories, and during long events I have not been bonking.  I do need to further refine how I eat at a long event as for the DK200 I will be out much longer than the 5-6 hours most my long workouts are.  My advice to anyone is that while I think a LCHF way to eat is a good idea start small and just work to eliminate as many processed foods as possible from your everyday diet.  From there you can change how you eat as works best for you.  Keeping in mind why you are doing this as that is what needs to drive what you do since just changing your diet because it is in will not last as you need a well thought our reason to be able to sustain your course.
The Lumpy KGC

Pre-KGC meal - the night before:
  • 14oz Ribeye, Loaded Baked Potato with Butter, Sour Cream and Cheese
  • Broccoli
  • Side salad with Ranch
KGC Pre-Ride Fueling:
  • Modified Bullet  Proof Coffee  (MBPC) – Coffee, Butter, Coconut Oil, Collagen, Heavy Cream and Chocolate Primal Fuel (Forgot to bring an egg as I usually have one in the coffee)
  • One 20oz bottle of water with 3 scoops UCAN, 2 scoops SFuels-Train and one Vespa Concentrate
KGC Ride Fueling;
  • 4 – S!Caps – 2 at 1.5 hours and 2 at 3 hours (Meant to take 2 each hour but forgot)
  • 2 – 27oz Bottles of water with SFuels-Race
  • Topped off 27oz Bottles with just water 3 times (Meant to add some more race fuel but forgot)
  • 1 – 2L bladder of plain watter
  • 1-  Vespa at 32 miles
  • ½ a UCAN Coffee bar over course of ride
  • Took a 2 Maurten 100 Gels – one at about 35 miles and one at 49 with about an hour to go and a couple good sized hills
Overview of Weeks Runs and Rides:
Totals:
  • Running Miles –  10.3
  • Riding Miles – 103.9
  • Total Time –  9:15
Conclusions:
Right now I am not sure how next week will go as I am getting a tooth extracted on Tuesday so hope to get in a run both days but then will have to see how the healing process goes after the extraction.  Would like to get in at least one ride and 4 runs and see how the leg feels.  At the end of the month I am riding the Green River Century which is local to me in the Campbellsville Ky area and will, Lord willing, add 50 miles after I finish the century to get in my longest rider ever at 150 miles.  This will be good work for the DK200 in getting time in the saddle.


Last Week's Overview #8







No comments:

Post a Comment